OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show off your Guns!  (Read 20133 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #360 on: July 24, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »

Our oldest son wants this on a T-shirt for Christmas for him and his baby brother. My husband wants one too. Cheesy
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #361 on: July 24, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

Our oldest son wants this on a T-shirt for Christmas for him and his baby brother. My husband wants one too. Cheesy

Then I should have said "ma'am," my apologies.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #362 on: July 24, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

For the Reagan fans;

http://www.etsy.com/listing/103439690/ronald-reagan-riding-a-velociraptor-hq
No problem on the gender mistake.

Is there anything more awesome than dinosaurs with guns!? Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:59:56 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #363 on: July 24, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »

Oooh! Teddy Roosevelt vs Bigfoot!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/71032331/teddy-roosevelt-vs-bigfoot-print
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #364 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »

Some people use them as sexual prosthesises

I found this and thought it worthy to be posted.  Not saying I agree, but it seemed to fit the discussion.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
 - Sigmund Freud
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM by Kerdy » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #365 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »

I think that Vamrat was making the point that a true Pole is not a coward.  More a case of Blut und Ehre.

Mythology aside, there were plenty of Polish collaborators.  Obviously the AK would have been my choice were I in such a situation, but even this is flawed.  My Grandfather would also tell me that they were quite constrained by the fact that any killings of German soldiers meant the execution of Polish civilians.  The policies of the Second Republic failed the Polish people - had such not happened there would have been no need for AK in the first place.       

The fear of reprisals played heavily in the Chetnik tactics in Yugoslavia - basically, hold out until the allies won the war, collaborating where it saved Serbian lives from their numerous enemies.  This played part in leading Churchill to prefer the Partisans over the Chetniks.  I can certainly see your point, though in the Poles defense, it may very well have seemed in their best interests to end Nazi occupation as soon as possible.

Regarding your previous comment, I really don't know enough about either Pilsudski or Dmowski to answer you regarding them.

I would be interested in hearing how the Second Republic's policies failed the Polish people in the war.  They fought hard against the Germans but facing the Soviets as well was too much.  Perhaps you are referring to their antagonizing both nations right after WWI?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »

Then again, you even admit in your sig that you are not a Pole.  It wasn't your ancestors that fought to the end at Wizna.  It wasn't your ancestors in the 10th Mechanized who escaped to France to fight again.  It wasn't your ancestors who broke the Enigma code, flew and fought over the skies of Britain to defend their people, who parachuted into Arnhem, who fought in the streets and in the woods of their occupied homeland.  You just live in a country watered by their blood.

My grandfather's brother fought in the Anders' army so you are wrong (again).
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:42 AM »

Regarding your previous comment, I really don't know enough about either Pilsudski or Dmowski to answer you regarding them.

This gets at the heart of assertion and Michal's claim to not be Polish.  Forgive the VAST oversimplification but Pilsudski saw Poland as being a multi-ethnic, multi-confessional Republic.  In that sense to be Polish was a civic identity, not necessary Roman Catholic and ethnically Polish.  Pilsudski wasn't opposed to education in local languages, development of local cultures, etc.  Dmowski was more a nationalist along the Croatian lines of the nationstate ought to be ethnically pure and monolithically Catholic.  Pilsudski's won the battle over territory and thus many ethnically mixed areas (i.e the Kresy) were included in the Second Republic.  Unfortunately Dmowski style policies were implemented, which made it simply a matter of time until Poland would lose these territories.       

I would be interested in hearing how the Second Republic's policies failed the Polish people in the war.  They fought hard against the Germans but facing the Soviets as well was too much.  Perhaps you are referring to their antagonizing both nations right after WWI?

Poland had petty and antagonistic disputes with all of its neighbors save Romania during the inter-war period.  Had this not been the case, a collective security arrangement could have been possible in Central Europe.  Bravery and Rambo fantasies are good for those not personally affected, but I'd prefer solid diplomacy that prevents war. 
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #368 on: July 25, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »

Then again, you even admit in your sig that you are not a Pole.  It wasn't your ancestors that fought to the end at Wizna.  It wasn't your ancestors in the 10th Mechanized who escaped to France to fight again.  It wasn't your ancestors who broke the Enigma code, flew and fought over the skies of Britain to defend their people, who parachuted into Arnhem, who fought in the streets and in the woods of their occupied homeland.  You just live in a country watered by their blood.

Sometimes the apples rolls farther from the tree than expected.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Bigsinner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #369 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »

^   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Talk about understatement!  Wink
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #370 on: July 25, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »

Bravery and Rambo fantasies are good for those not personally affected, but I'd prefer solid diplomacy that prevents war. 

It may surprise you, but I agree with this completely.  I would only caveat it by adding "as long as it truly prevents a war, and not just postpones it to the advantage of the enemy".  But then again, you did write "solid" diplomacy, so you had that covered.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #371 on: July 25, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »

LOL

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #372 on: July 25, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »

This has nothing to do with guns, but:

Punch! Nice to "see" you! I was wondering about you the other day since I hadn't seen you around in a while.  Smiley

As you were.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #373 on: July 26, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »

Punch! Nice to "see" you! I was wondering about you the other day since I hadn't seen you around in a while.  Smiley

As you were.

Why thank you.  It is always a pleasure "seeing" you here, too.  I got burned out on the "religious" side of this forum, so I have been lurking here on the "gun" side. I have also been very busy at work.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #374 on: July 27, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »

As you were.

Why thank you.  It is always a pleasure "seeing" you here, too.  I got burned out on the "religious" side of this forum, so I have been lurking here on the "gun" side. I have also been very busy at work.

These sorts of things distort how we view each other, I think.  I also have mostly given up posting and even reading about religious topics here.  It is too personal of a topic.  I don't feel comfortable talking about such with mostly strangers.  So this leaves me to post mostly about linguistics, cultural quarks and food.  While I enjoy talking about those in real life, I don't do so nearly to the proportions that I do here. 
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #375 on: July 27, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »

As you were.

These sorts of things distort how we view each other, I think.  I also have mostly given up posting and even reading about religious topics here.  It is too personal of a topic.  I don't feel comfortable talking about such with mostly strangers.  So this leaves me to post mostly about linguistics, cultural quarks and food.  While I enjoy talking about those in real life, I don't do so nearly to the proportions that I do here. 

Well in some ways that is the nature of the forums.  On many topics, many here enjoy the conversation of one another, and respect the opinions and arguments of one another.  The religious side gets very touchy.... Trust me, I know Smiley

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #376 on: July 30, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »

I picked up a scoped Ruger 10/22 over the weekend. My daughters are really looking forward to trying it out at the range.
Pan Michał
Elder

Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #377 on: August 04, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »

Mind you all, that it's the same general Anders, one of the bravest, boldest and thoughtful heros of WW II, who wrote 31 VIII 1944:

"I was completely surprised with the Warsaw Uprising. In my opinion it is the greatest tragedy in our present situation. It had no chances of success, and exposed not only our capital, but also that part of the Country under German occupation, to new terrifying repressions. (...) I guess every honest and not blind person had no delusions about that what will happen, and what happened, that is Soviets not only will not help our beloved, heroic Warsaw, but with great satisfiaction and joy will wait, until the last drop of what's the best blood of Polish Nation will be poured on the ground.

My myself, and my all of my colleagues in the Corps, were always of the opinion, that in the time when Germany is obviously collapsing, when bolsheviks entered the Poland with the same hostility and eliminate our best men with the same way as they did in 1939 - the uprising not only had no sense, but it was even a crime. (...)"

The same general Anders said at the beginning days of the Warsaw Uprising, that when the war will over, he'll want everyone responsible for it to be court martialed.

Don't tell Michał Kalina that he is revisionist and he's simply "what-ifing" from the perspective of 70 years, or that he is unjust in his opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:54:30 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #378 on: August 04, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »

Why do you expect average Americans to understand what the war is? Last time they experienced war on their own territory was in 1860s. Since then all they know about war comes from books, movies and computer games. They view war as a great adventure they can practise target shooting.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:18:19 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #379 on: August 04, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Why do you expect average Americans to understand what the war is? Last time they experienced war on their own territory was in 1860s. Since then all they know about war comes from books, movies and computer games. They view war as a great adventure they can practise target shooting.

I wouldn't say that's because they're American, they too have living WW II veterans, and from such slaughter fields like Anzio, Normandy or Ardennes. It's just the stereotypical American, that knows the war from games, just like stereotypical Pole is drunken car steeler.

Most of the (relatively) young people throughout the world view the war through the scope of Call Of Duty, for example lots of young Poles want to serve in the army and go to Afghanistan, because they think "it's like Black Hawk Down".

People from the West sometimes have only this "problem", that they do not necessarily understand the reality of Central/Eastern Europe, and how we roll here. From Western point of view the Warsaw Uprising logically could make sense, even if lost. But east of Oder river lies different world, and our country is a trap for both Eastern and Western Europeans when it comes to look at cultural/political/historical issues - a trap because a Poland is a borderland and is both Western and Eastern, so people "left" and "right" of us often make a mistake that everything here goes "left" or "right".

This aside, many people do not understand that Stalin would rather die, than help Poles, because Poles humiliated Stalin in Lenin's eyes in 1920, which thing he never forgot, and that II Polish Republic was a dam for Red Army to go West. Everything that could stop again USSR was burried in forests of Russia, under German occupation, in the atmosphere or in Warsaw. Why should Stalin attack the city if he could mantain his reserves and exterminate thousands of Polish youth an intelligence with German arms?

The Warsaw Uprising had one point - to throw out Germans by Polish army and welcome Soviets as they were guests of independent Polish liberators of souvereign capital city. But what popular books do not mention is that Warsaw wasn't the first city liberated (or tried to be liberated in this case) by AK (Polish Home Army) during the action "Burza" ("Storm") - and that's because in those other liberated by AK cities soldiers welcoming Red Army were disarmed, put to jail or executed as partisan units, because there can be only one liberator and it's USSR. Warsaw would be just one more city witnessing those scenes.

Everyone from the HQ knew what was happening east of Warsaw, and many officially protested and prohibited any further uprising action. Still, it began. Some of the people responsible for it were later explaining that it was "too late" to stop the machine, so they had an idea what terrible thing happened.

The esteem that Warsaw Uprising has in Poland is that it became an icon of martyrdom. Why? Because post-communists would rather make Poles martyrs than victors. So you have whole books, programs, interviews about this tragedy, yet when it's anniversary of Monte Cassino, Tobruk, Falaise, Battle for England, Narvik, or even Arnhem rescue operation, where Poles were if not decisive, then played major role, everything's silent.

That's how things go here. Western logic has nothing to do with this.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:46:06 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #380 on: August 04, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »

I suppose the last decade or so means nothing.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »

Who invaded you?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »

Who invaded you?
Is this a real question or do you really just have no concept of war?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #383 on: August 04, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »

You all wouldn't be so bloodthirsty if you knew how war is like:
- How does it feel when you don't know whether you or people close to you get shot by occupants
- How does it feel when you choose which child of yours will survive and which won't
- How does it feel when neighbours come at your place, rob it and put flame on it
- How does it feel when you have nothing but grass and acorns to it
etc.
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #384 on: August 04, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »

Is a country which was on a verge of overthrowing own gouvernement in the 60's/70's when protesting against war in Vietnam really bloodthirsty? Bush and Obama want world domination, not Americans. US soldiers want better pay to provide decent life for their families, so they go on a missions, kill people and end in intensive psychiatric treatment, go crippled for the rest of their life or "simply" get killed, but that's rarely the case these days, now most of them just sit in their outpost few months to the point of ultimate boredom and go home.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #385 on: August 04, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »

- How does it feel when you don't know whether you or people close to you get shot by occupants
- How does it feel when you choose which child of yours will survive and which won't
- How does it feel when neighbours come at your place, rob it and put flame on it
etc.

You have obviously never been to East St. Louis, South Chicago, or Washington DC.  Besides, what do you know of war?  My guess is that you know nothing of anything that you have written above. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #386 on: August 04, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »

My guess is that you know nothing of anything that you have written above. 

My grandparents know. They also know war is not a thing that should be hoped for.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #387 on: August 04, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »

etc.
I know exactly how war feels.  I've been in combat.

What you have described is found in many US cities.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #388 on: August 04, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »

I know exactly how war feels.  I've been in combat.

What did you occupy?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #389 on: August 04, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »

My grandparents know. They also know war is not a thing that should be hoped for.

Few sane people hope for war.  Most want to avoid if possible, but when no other option is presented you fight and you fight to win.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »

I know exactly how war feels.  I've been in combat.

What did you occupy?
Nothing.  What did your grandparents occupy?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 04:24:17 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #391 on: August 05, 2012, 04:15:03 PM »

So do mine.  As do my parents and many friends of the family.  But nobody here is talking about hoping for war except you. 

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #392 on: August 05, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »

What did you occupy?

Why bother.  He is obviously sick in the head and I doubt that anything would sway him from his delusions.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #393 on: August 05, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »

What did you occupy?

Why bother.  He is obviously sick in the head and I doubt that anything would sway him from his delusions.
I don't think he is delusional.  I do think he is extremely passionate about his feelings on the topic.  The problem is he is so passionate he is unable to understand anything else.  I don't fault him for his views.  I fault him for ignoring everything outside his views which can alter his beliefs.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #394 on: August 05, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »

I finally got a gun safe for my collection.  I purchased a Cannon Challenger. 
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #395 on: August 05, 2012, 11:58:28 PM »

What did you occupy?

I don't think he is delusional.  I do think he is extremely passionate about his feelings on the topic.  The problem is he is so passionate he is unable to understand anything else.  I don't fault him for his views.  I fault him for ignoring everything outside his views which can alter his beliefs.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of delusional?  From Wikipedia:

"A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. Unlike hallucinations, delusions are always pathological (the result of an illness or illness process)."

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #396 on: August 06, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

Who invaded you?

And who invaded *you*??  Oh, I know, Poland has been a battleground many times over the centuries, but, according to your profile you are a ripe old 21 years of age.  Have you seen warfare of any kind other than on t.v. or in comic books? Have you ever even served in *anybody's* military?  Unless you volunteered (and why do suspect that you never have?), I'd guess the answer is a resounding *no*.  According to wikipedia, "Poland suspended compulsory military service on 5 December 2008 by the order of the Minister of Defence. Compulsory military service was formally abolished when the Polish parliament amended the conscription law on 9 January 2009; the law came into effect on 11 February 2009."  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service#Poland

One doesn't have to have experienced an invasion of one's country to know the horrors of warfare.  Time to get down off your high horse of pseudo-moral righteous indignation about things of which you really know nothing at all--you're gonna suffocate from lack of oxygen up there.  Maybe that's why Punch thinks you're "sick in the head".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:48:52 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #397 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »

I was actually referring to the Jewish Ghetto Uprising in Warsaw. Every Jew in the ghetto realized they were marked for death, either in the camps or by starvation or disease in the Ghetto.

The resisters gathered together 7 handguns and began attacking the ghetto guards. Taking their weapons, they increased their resistance. They were able to hold our for a full month against the German Army.

So when folks tell me that armed civilians would never resist a modern army, they are really telling me that they don't know history.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »

I was actually referring to the Jewish Ghetto Uprising in Warsaw.

Americans talking about history...
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

It might be good for you to work on your anti-American prejudice. It is unbecoming for an Orthodox Christian to disdain his brothers.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »

It might be good for you to work on your anti-American prejudice. It is unbecoming for an Orthodox Christian to disdain his brothers.

Oh, he's working on it, alright.... Roll Eyes

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »

Actually, I think that he has rather perfected it.

Oh, he's working on it, alright.... Roll Eyes

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »

They were able to hold our for a full month against the German Army.
You left out what happened afterwards.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »

War is not the answer for only love can conquer hate.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #404 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

21 year olds talking about history...

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: