OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show off your Guns!  (Read 18222 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »

Question: does any state require licensing for bows if you don't hunt but just do target practice?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »

No licensing outside of hunting licenses for the state. Then you have to take a hunter safety course.

The laws are a little strange in my city. Basically most things are legal unless you use them in a threatening or intimidating manner. So target practice at a facility or in your yard would be in general OK.

You can't hunt with a crossbow unless you are disabled.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:11:27 PM by Quinault » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2012, 08:11:09 PM »

No licensing outside of hunting licenses for the state. Then you have to take a hunter safety course.

The laws are a little strange in my city. Basically most things are legal unless you use them in a threatening or intimidating manner.

I see, thanks.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »

a spear.
What kind of spear?  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:37:38 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2012, 05:52:48 PM »

This type with a long shaft:
http://www.coldsteel.com/aswishsh.htm
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »

I still do not get the purpose of this topic.

I think the thread title pretty much says it Wink  Though I suppose context is important... on other sites I'm on, if I saw that thread title, I'd see pics more like this...

With comments like: "You mirin my gains? Phils good man"

The legs creep me out ...

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

This type with a long shaft:
http://www.coldsteel.com/aswishsh.htm
That's a good spear type.

I'm more versed in the over-sized Chinese variety, myself.  police

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »

I saw the most glorious thing on Facebuch today:

"Guns don't kill people.  Drug cartels armed by our government kill people."

Lima oscar lima.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »

The legs creep me out ...

You don't like guys with upper legs bigger than your waist?  Grin

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

The discussion of how less gun control may solve our issues has been moved to Politics. If you don't yet have access to the Politics board but would like to continue following that discussion, please send Fr. George a private message requesting access.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44459.0.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:36:35 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

If you are going to shoot a person, you shoot to kill stop the threat. Center mass and head shots only.

Fixed. It just so happens that shutting down the computer or breaking the plumbing are good ways to do this. 

While you're generally correct, some govt. agencies are trained to specifically target the pelvic bone for first shots, as someone with a shattered pelvis is incapable of standing.  But depending on the level of threat, the 2+1 usually follows quickly.
But you are absolutely right about it not being like the movies where you wing the bad guy and lecture your wounded catch.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »

If you are going to shoot a person, you shoot to kill stop the threat. Center mass and head shots only.

Fixed. It just so happens that shutting down the computer or breaking the plumbing are good ways to do this. 

While you're generally correct, some govt. agencies are trained to specifically target the pelvic bone for first shots, as someone with a shattered pelvis is incapable of standing.  But depending on the level of threat, the 2+1 usually follows quickly.
But you are absolutely right about it not being like the movies where you wing the bad guy and lecture your wounded catch.

Also, in the trial following this (depending on the totalitarianness of the State) saying you "shot to stop" is going to sound much better than "shot to kill".  And in the American juridecimal system, you have to take into account how things sound, juries being the twelve people (with either so little to do/who were to stupid to get out) of jury duty.
acts420
Elder

Faith: the Way
Jurisdiction: Jesus the Anointed One

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

This is the Smith and Wesson Model 360SC.  This gun was one of S&W's first featherweight, scandium frame models.  I purchased one in 2003 primarily because of the light weight and barrel length. I wanted the light weight so I could carry it on a deep woods backpacking trip I was planning (just in case I needed to scare off a bear or worse).  I also figured the 3 1/8 inch barrel was better than the 1 7/8 inch model on most of Smith’s J frame revolvers.

A slightly longer barrel should improve accuracy due to the longer sight radius, should pump out a little more velocity, and should provide a little more control over recoil. The 360 also came with adjustable rear sights and with a Hi-Viz Tru Glo "orange fiber optic sight up front.   The ultimate selling point, for me, was the power of .357 along with a weight of just about 10 oz.  That was too good to resist.  It turned out that, in some ways, that combination was too good to be true.

In practice, I've found it difficult to get this gun to group very well.   Shooting .38 is not too bad in those regards, but the larger .357 rounds especially seem to perhaps be throwing the revolver off before the bullet can leave the chamber.  The larger rounds also hurt my hand.  Shooting .357 through this gun is no joke.  Due to its light weight, the gun passes a lot of recoil into the hand.  

I still enjoy the gun though.  If I expected to have to shoot a lot or to aim especially well at distance, then I would probably get another gun.  But my most likely use would be to shoot into the ground in an attempt to scare a bear away.  If I ever actually had to shoot a bear or worse, the situation would be so close range I wouldn't be worrying about groupings.  So I'm basically happy with the model 360 sc.  It's great to have something lightweight to carry when I'd like to, and I love the reliability of revolvers.   I just practice with .38 once in a while.  Other than that, I keep it loaded with .357 for self defense, and of course I pray I'll never have to use it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:56:55 PM by acts420 » Logged

In Christ,
Jason
www.acts420.com
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

This is the Smith and Wesson Model 360SC.  This gun was one of S&W's first featherweight, scandium frame models.  I purchased one in 2003 primarily because of the light weight and barrel length. I wanted the light weight so I could carry it on a deep woods backpacking trip I was planning (just in case I needed to scare off a bear or worse).  I also figured the 3 1/8 inch barrel was better than the 1 7/8 inch model on most of Smith’s J frame revolvers.

A slightly longer barrel should improve accuracy due to the longer sight radius, should pump out a little more velocity, and should provide a little more control over recoil. The 360 also came with adjustable rear sights and with a Hi-Viz Tru Glo "orange fiber optic sight up front.   The ultimate selling point, for me, was the power of .357 along with a weight of just about 10 oz.  That was too good to resist.  It turned out that, in some ways, that combination was too good to be true.

In practice, I've found it difficult to get this gun to group very well.   Shooting .38 is not too bad in those regards, but the larger .357 rounds especially seem to perhaps be throwing the revolver off before the bullet can leave the chamber.  The larger rounds also hurt my hand.  Shooting .357 through this gun is no joke.  Due to its light weight, the gun passes a lot of recoil into the hand.  

I still enjoy the gun though.  If I expected to have to shoot a lot or to aim especially well at distance, then I would probably get another gun.  But my most likely use would be to shoot into the ground in an attempt to scare a bear away.  If I ever actually had to shoot a bear or worse, the situation would be so close range I wouldn't be worrying about groupings.  So I'm basically happy with the model 360 sc.  It's great to have something lightweight to carry when I'd like to, and I love the reliability of revolvers.   I just practice with .38 once in a while.  Other than that, I keep it loaded with .357 for self defense, and of course I pray I'll never have to use it.

Sounds like you got the right idea in practicing with .38 and loading with .357.  A steady diet of .357 could make that a pretty dangerous gun to use.  My first pistol was the scandium framed snubbie with the short barrel.  I have long-barrel J-Frame with the long barrel as well, but mine is SS.  My grandpa has carried a .357 for dealing with bears, and he's even seen a park ranger use one on a bear before, but that takes some skill.  If I was backpacking I'd probably stick with the .45 LC since it has nice penetration, and the heavier bullet would be even better.  Then again, if you plan on running into a bear, it's hard to beat a .45-70 with an 18" barrel.  But it's a lot harder to conceal!   Wink

PS: I don't even want to know how that thing feels with .357!  The .38 hurts my hand just fine!  It's a toss up between the little .38 and the Polish Radom in 9x18 as to which of my handguns hurts the most to fire.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:05:47 PM by vamrat » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »

As was said before, the cops are good after or before the crime. usually the deed is done by the time the cops get there. Its nothing against them, but its fact.

PP

Police are overworked, under paid and hardly appreciated any longer.  Too many restrictions of how to employ enforcement of law makes for a weak police force, but not as the result of the officers themselves.  You'll have to trust me on this.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »

Let us remember a few things. 

One, not all countries allow firearms to the public.  This is ok, it’s their governments choice, but let’s not ignore the fact that in many of these countries their violence is on par with the countries that do have weapons open to the public.  Murder is murder, assault is assaults, robbery is robber, it does not matter what device is utilized.

Two, even in the countries which do not allow firearms to the public, criminals still obtain these weapons and use them against defenseless citizens.  It is proof making it illegal to own a firearm in no way deters criminals, it only deters those who already follow their laws. 

Three, America has a Constitutional right to own firearms, so it makes no difference what your personal opinion is, we can own them simply because we want to.  There is no other justification required. 

Having said this, if you do not want to carry a weapon, no one is going to force you.  Should you choose to carry a firearm, own a firearm, take courses for firearm use, shoot recreationally (such as in SASS or CAS, etc.), or whatever, anyone who disparages you for this apparently feels the Constitution should bend to their whims, which is unconstitutional.  As I stated in another thread, owning, carrying and using a firearm requires training and wisdom and most times the choice will be NOT to use it, even if you have the opportunity; however, in the situation you need it, have the chance to use it, and could protect innocent lives by doing so, you don’t want to be the guy thinking, “Crap, I should have a gun right now.” 

Additionally, proper training teaches the goal is not to kill anyone, simply to stop the threat.  Most times, this can be accomplished simply by revealing your weapon causing the coward criminal to run away.  If this does not happen, shooting him rarely kills him, read the stats, it’s really educational. 

Also, in America, anyone who has served in the military (to include National Guard) has extensive weapons training as well as Use of Force training to counter aggressiveness.  Remember why Japan didn’t invade mainland America?  If not, it was because every other house had firearms.  They knew they would get whipped.   
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

As for children using weapons, they have been doing it in America for a few hundred years now.  With proper training and education, there is no problem, proper being the key word.  My children know all the weapons safety rules and can provide them on request.  They also know when they are allowed to look, touch or handle a firearm.  Education is the key here.  Teach a person to fear weapons and they will remain a target the rest of their life.  Teach a person to respect the power of a firearm and they will make an intelligent choice on what they will do with it.  Teach a child the destructive power of a firearm and they will learn life is precious, at least most will.  BTW – shooting someone and beating the crap out of them with Martial Arts is the same result.  Why do you reason when you obtain a black belt you must register yourself as a deadly weapon? 

Firearms are not made to murder or kill anyone.  How many people do you know who go hunting and carry a pistol for defense against wild animals (snakes, boar, wild dogs or cats)?  I know a lot.  Shotguns and rifles are for hunting, but can be refitted for other applications such as military use, etc.  Handguns today are for defense, collecting and recreation.  What is wrong with heading out to the range to send a few rounds down range in a competition shoot?  Nothing.  What is wrong with being able to defend your daughter or wife against someone who is about to rape and kill them?  Nothing.  What is wrong with stopping a horrific crime in action in a public area?  Nothing.  What is wrong with eliminating the threat of violence in church?  Nothing.  You may be able to do all these things without a gun, or you may need one to facilitate a safe conclusion to the situation.  I feel confident statistics reveal most violent gun grimes do not occur from law abiding citizens with properly registered firearms.  Guns do not kill people, people kill people.

I recently was asked by a church to review their security situation.  While they may never need to use any of the suggestions I supplied, they are much safer now than before my visit.  Surprisingly, they had already implemented several safety features prior to my arrival.  Other than making sure security personnel had appropriate training, most of the suggestions involved reaction and control scenarios while alerting law enforcement.

In relation to the automatic firearms question, you are required to have a special permit (not easily obtained) to own those and most who do are collectors or Federal Firearm dealers.  The best we can do is semi-automatic, which applies to almost every weapon ever made other than pump and bolt action weapons.

In summary, if you live where guns are not allowed, don’t worry about it, but be aware criminals still have them.  If you do live where guns are allowed and you don’t want to carry or own, don’t, but do not treat those who choose to like some type of Neanderthal imbecile for doing so.  Chances are they know more about their own weapon than the thugs who are carrying.  Also, be sure if your life is ever preserved by one of us violent, gun slinging, cowboy, adventure addicts, you at least say thanks.  A gun is nothing more than a tool.  Its proper use is up to the one holding it.

Having said all this, I have sold many of my weapons, but I currently have one rifle and shotgun for hunting and three handguns, two for concealed carry and one for home defense.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2012, 10:45:03 AM »

Savage makes a nice rifle.  I have one in .22 Mag and I cannot believe how accurate it is right out of the box.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »

Savage makes a nice rifle.  I have one in .22 Mag and I cannot believe how accurate it is right out of the box.

I see no reason to pay the extra dollars for a Browning (or other similar weapon system) you are afraid will get scratched when you get a very nice rifle from Savage which works just as well for a fraction of the cost.  You spend more time figuring out which round works best in the rifle than you do which rifle to purchase.  Plus, Savage is a rather rugged machine.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »

For Orthonorm, courtesy of the New Sincerity Movement:

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

I have a collapsible semi-automatic Nerf gun.  The projectiles even whistle as they zip across the room.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:43 AM »

Firearms are not made to murder or kill anyone.

Some people use them as sexual prosthesises

How many people do you know who go hunting and carry a pistol for defense against wild animals (snakes, boar, wild dogs or cats)?

It would be a funny thing to see man trying to shoot a snake. Do you shoot mosquitoes too?

Shotguns and rifles are for hunting, but can be refitted for other applications such as military use, etc.

Yeah, "military use" does not require killing anyone.

What is wrong with being able to defend your daughter or wife against someone who is about to rape and kill them?  Nothing.  What is wrong with stopping a horrific crime in action in a public area?  Nothing.  What is wrong with eliminating the threat of violence in church?  Nothing.

From the Christian PON? I wouldn't be so sure.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:10:04 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2012, 12:39:35 PM »

You appear to have a severe preoccupation with this analogy (as do some others).  What percentage of the world population do you believe uses guns in this way?  My guess would be around 0.0006%, or so, and that is being liberal.  In addition, your comment had very little, if anything, to do with the comment to which you replied.

It would be a funny thing to see man trying to shoot a snake. Do you shoot mosquitoes too?

What would be funny about it?  I have seen it several times.  Walking through the wilderness, step too close to a rattlesnake to move without being bitten, shoot the snake.  As a matter of fact, in the early 90’s one of my buddies tripped and found himself face to face with a rattlesnake.  We shot the snake.  I see no humor in it. 

Mosquitoes?  Let’s attempt to use some sensible debating points.

Yeah, "military use" does not require killing anyone.
You will see I used the word “refitted”.  Most people do not own or use strictly military style weapon systems for home protection or self-defense.  An M240G in the apartment hallway is slightly overkill.   Again, sensible debating points.

From the Christian PON? I wouldn't be so sure.

I would.  That is what is so spectacular about personal opinions.  They can be different and still both be right.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »

I would only go as far as some folks use them as a substitution for something they feel is inferior...however, this is an extreme minority IMHO.

After being bit by a Copperhead snake in the woods, and spent 3 days in the hospital for it, I'll shoot one if it slithers my way.

Yeah, "military use" does not require killing anyone
So are boots....im not following you here.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »

Not funny at all.  I have a friend in Wisconsin that had to shoot a rattlesnake that his buddy almost stepped on climbing over a fence.  His buddy was quite upset that he shot so close to him (within inches) until he saw the dead snake.  Cotton Mouth snakes were very common (and aggressive) where I lived in the South.  The first two shots in my revolver were always snake shot when I was in the field.

Dragonflies make good targets, if you are into killing things that are not trying to kill you.  But given with your fixation with firearms as a penis, I am not sure that I would want to know what you would do with one.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »

BTW, today is the birthday of both Samuel Colt and Gaston Glock.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Nice!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

Your avatar truly never gets old.

Never change.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »

Michal, I believe everyone has a right to do what they want in their own home, so I would never judge you for how you like to use your own firearms.  But please, could you just set my mind at ease and let me know that you unload them before you...well, do whatever it is that you do with them?  I wouldn't want anyone getting hurt.

Thanks,
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »

It would be a funny thing to see man trying to shoot a snake.

I've seen many poisonous snakes -Cottonmouth vipers and Eastern Diamondback Rattlers mostly- shot with a gun. Single shot .38 at twenty feet was most impressive but I appreciated the effects of a 20-gauge shotgun just as much. In both those situations it was "them or us".

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

Wow... I actually agree with Michal Kalina. Thank God I live in an area without snakes and guns.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

Wow... I actually agree with Michal Kalina. Thank God I live in an area without snakes and guns.

Have you ever thought about guns in a sexual way?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »

Back when I was a Marine, I would often sleep with my rifle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:04:38 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »

This highlights a good point.  Did you ever have carnal (well, as carnal as steel and wood can be) relations with your rifle?  Did you ever fantasize about having a fulfilling relationship with your rifle?  Did you imagine having a house and a yard and a dog with your rifle, imagining how your little PtA/M14 hybrid children would look like?

Or is it entirely possible that to you the rifle was a tool?  Is it possible to you that there were non sexual reasons for you to have the rifle?  Perhaps sleeping with it had something to do with your training rather than some deep seated sexual desire for it?

Michal does not seem to accept that people who have firearms have them for non sexual reasons.  He seems to be incapable of separating sexual desire from other types of emotions.  It would be fascinating to learn what is the root of his extensive comparisons between firearms and phalluses.  It can be assumed that he is lacking in experience with firearms.  But why would this lack of experience be constantly coupled with something else?  Where did this connection come from?

This is hard for me to come to grasps with.  I mean, there are numerous females out there that I enjoy the company of but have no desire to view in a sexual manner - my mother, younger females that I have met, wives of people I respect...  I can talk to my mother and enjoy her company without sexualizing my relationship with her.  Likewise, I can sleep with a handgun next to my bed without thinking about it once in a sexual manner.  I wonder what causes Michal to hear about firearms and immediately jump to conclusions of a sexual nature?  It's kind of weird, to be honest. 
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

Once a Marine.....I slept with mine also. Boot Camp and Vietnam....
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

This highlights a good point.  Did you ever have carnal (well, as carnal as steel and wood can be) relations with your rifle?  Did you ever fantasize about having a fulfilling relationship with your rifle?  Did you imagine having a house and a yard and a dog with your rifle, imagining how your little PtA/M14 hybrid children would look like?

Or is it entirely possible that to you the rifle was a tool?  Is it possible to you that there were non sexual reasons for you to have the rifle?  Perhaps sleeping with it had something to do with your training rather than some deep seated sexual desire for it?

Michal does not seem to accept that people who have firearms have them for non sexual reasons.  He seems to be incapable of separating sexual desire from other types of emotions.  It would be fascinating to learn what is the root of his extensive comparisons between firearms and phalluses.  It can be assumed that he is lacking in experience with firearms.  But why would this lack of experience be constantly coupled with something else?  Where did this connection come from?

This is hard for me to come to grasps with.  I mean, there are numerous females out there that I enjoy the company of but have no desire to view in a sexual manner - my mother, younger females that I have met, wives of people I respect...  I can talk to my mother and enjoy her company without sexualizing my relationship with her.  Likewise, I can sleep with a handgun next to my bed without thinking about it once in a sexual manner.  I wonder what causes Michal to hear about firearms and immediately jump to conclusions of a sexual nature?  It's kind of weird, to be honest. 
I have the same confusion, especially when one could attribute the same argument for practically everything in the world.  Pens, pencils, fingernail files, lamps, smoking pipes, cigars, rulers, levels, screwdrivers, and the endless list goes on.  A very confusing way of looking at life.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »

This highlights a good point.  Did you ever have carnal (well, as carnal as steel and wood can be) relations with your rifle?  Did you ever fantasize about having a fulfilling relationship with your rifle?  Did you imagine having a house and a yard and a dog with your rifle, imagining how your little PtA/M14 hybrid children would look like?

Or is it entirely possible that to you the rifle was a tool?  Is it possible to you that there were non sexual reasons for you to have the rifle?  Perhaps sleeping with it had something to do with your training rather than some deep seated sexual desire for it?
Of course it did. When in the field, I slept with my rifle to keep others from taking it.

Michal does not seem to accept that people who have firearms have them for non sexual reasons.  He seems to be incapable of separating sexual desire from other types of emotions.  It would be fascinating to learn what is the root of his extensive comparisons between firearms and phalluses.  It can be assumed that he is lacking in experience with firearms.  But why would this lack of experience be constantly coupled with something else?  Where did this connection come from?

This is hard for me to come to grasps with.  I mean, there are numerous females out there that I enjoy the company of but have no desire to view in a sexual manner - my mother, younger females that I have met, wives of people I respect...  I can talk to my mother and enjoy her company without sexualizing my relationship with her.  Likewise, I can sleep with a handgun next to my bed without thinking about it once in a sexual manner.  I wonder what causes Michal to hear about firearms and immediately jump to conclusions of a sexual nature?  It's kind of weird, to be honest.  
What's really weird is that you don't get Mike's obvious use of absurd sarcasm.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:03:53 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »

Look, this subject just doesnt belong on this forum. I am a gun owner but wouldnt think of discussing this on a religious website.

Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »

I have the same confusion, especially when one could attribute the same argument for practically everything in the world.  Pens, pencils, fingernail files, lamps, smoking pipes, cigars, rulers, levels, screwdrivers, and the endless list goes on.  A very confusing way of looking at life.

In an attempt to clear up your confusion, I believe this sexual theme was introduced by MKalina in an attempt to ridicule or silence, through shame, those with whom the poster disagreed.  When you can't counter the message, attack the messenger.

If anyone has read my posts on firearms and their possession, you will see that I (and most, if not all, who agree with my position) have not personally attacked those with whom I disagree.  I have not questioned their personal morality the way some of the anti-gun folks have.  Pointing out perceived faults with, and even ridiculing, your opponents' ARGUMENTS, is different from calling into question your opponents' personal morality.   Such personal attacks are inappropriate,.   
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »

Look, this subject just doesnt belong on this forum.
Why not?

I am a gun owner but wouldnt think of discussing this on a religious website.
Even when we're discussing this subject on a non-religious section of a religious web site?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »

I gotta tell you, I love that this and the Batman movie shooting threads are right next to each other.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »

In an attempt to clear up your confusion, I believe this sexual theme was introduced by MKalina in an attempt to ridicule or silence, through shame, those with whom the poster disagreed.  When you can't counter the message, attack the messenger.

If anyone has read my posts on firearms and their possession, you will see that I (and most, if not all, who agree with my position) have not personally attacked those with whom I disagree.  I have not questioned their personal morality the way some of the anti-gun folks have.  Pointing out perceived faults with, and even ridiculing, your opponents' ARGUMENTS, is different from calling into question your opponents' personal morality.   Such personal attacks are inappropriate,.   
Why are so many people so inclined to take arguments so personally?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

I gotta tell you, I love that this and the Batman movie shooting threads are right next to each other.

And the fact that people who loudliest cry there loudliest support gun owning here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

Sometimes it's useful to respond to ridicule with ridicule.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: