OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 07:00:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show off your Guns!  (Read 17706 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2012, 01:50:50 AM »

If there was a knife thread I could contribute to that. We have no less than 25 knives in our bedroom alone (in all honesty it is closer to 30, but I don't really count the swiss army knives) I actually don't know how many we own in total. We like knives. Knives have so many uses outside of self defense.

I don't like the noise of a gun. If someone were to break into our home they would be met by 2 dogs, a hail of arrows, about 10 throwing knives, a tomahawk and a spear. After they get past all that I will have an 18 inch machete. Grin

My husband finds throwing knives relaxing Tongue
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:56:41 AM by Quinault » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »

If there was a knife thread I could contribute to that. We have no less than 25 knives in our bedroom alone (in all honesty it is closer to 30, but I don't really count the swiss army knives) I actually don't know how many we own in total. We like knives. Knives have so many uses outside of self defense.

I don't like the noise of a gun. If someone were to break into our home they would be met by 2 dogs, a hail of arrows, about 10 throwing knives, a tomahawk and a spear. After they get past all that I will have an 18 inch machete. Grin

Knives are fun as well.  I have a Cold Steel Recon Tanto in my room.  My brother keeps an SRK knife on his pistol belt in the front for quick draw.  I have a Bear Grylls machete that looks like an African militia choppa that I used for clearing brush last fall. 

All in all, under 20' the knife is often more effective than the gun just because if you bring a knife to a gun fight and aren't already dead, it can be assumed you have the drop and the second or so disconnect between the brain recognizing danger and being able to draw (and ready a gun if you carry them unchambered like I usually do) is often all you need. 

One of the odd things about the NE concealed carry law is that it is a "Concealed Carry HANDGUN permit".  I could legally carry a shortened AK-47 without a stock so long as it was sold as a "handgun".  If I carried a concealed knife over something like 4" or 5" I would be carrying a concealed weapon and could be punished. 

For you, I think using the tomahawk or spear would just be too awesome!   Wink
theo philosopher
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »

Knives are fun as well.  I have a Cold Steel Recon Tanto in my room.  My brother keeps an SRK knife on his pistol belt in the front for quick draw.  I have a Bear Grylls machete that looks like an African militia choppa that I used for clearing brush last fall. 

All in all, under 20' the knife is often more effective than the gun just because if you bring a knife to a gun fight and aren't already dead, it can be assumed you have the drop and the second or so disconnect between the brain recognizing danger and being able to draw (and ready a gun if you carry them unchambered like I usually do) is often all you need. 

One of the odd things about the NE concealed carry law is that it is a "Concealed Carry HANDGUN permit".  I could legally carry a shortened AK-47 without a stock so long as it was sold as a "handgun".  If I carried a concealed knife over something like 4" or 5" I would be carrying a concealed weapon and could be punished. 

Personally, I think it'd be quite interesting for everyone to walk around with swords and/or tomahawks. In some parts of the nation that's not a terrible idea (where wildlife still vastly outnumbers humans). Not to mention it would look pretty cool.

Then again, in Europe the swords would be a fashion statement, while in America we'd read more and more about dangerous crowds of Shakespearean vagabonds biting their thumbs at one another and then dueling.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

Personally, I think it'd be quite interesting for everyone to walk around with swords and/or tomahawks. In some parts of the nation that's not a terrible idea (where wildlife still vastly outnumbers humans). Not to mention it would look pretty cool.

Then again, in Europe the swords would be a fashion statement, while in America we'd read more and more about dangerous crowds of Shakespearean vagabonds biting their thumbs at one another and then dueling.

Personally, I would rather not have to deal with any wild animal that could kill me with a sword.  A bear, wolf, catamount, or poisonous snake would be something I'd rather keep my distance from.  In all honesty, I probably wouldn't want either of my usual carry guns for those, except maybe the snake (.38 snub nose or Polish Radom P64).  Maybe the Glock just because .40 is an OK calibre for this, and it carries a lot of ammo, though with a bear or cougar I would much rather have the .45 LC for a pistol, or better yet, the .45-70 if I was able to carry a rifle!
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »

Hard core!  I love it!

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »

In Europe, the murder rate is much lower (per year and 100 000 citizens - 0.85 in Denmark and 4.8 in the US).

At the same time, there is strict gun control, and hardly anyone owns one, except for hunting.

So where is the advantage of gun ownership, please?

It's a lost cause.  Americans desperately want to live in a third world country. 
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

I have a Cold Steel Recon Tanto in my room.

laugh
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:25:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »

Originally, to protect the people from its government.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »

Ahem, to allow the government to commission a well-regulated militia. In the U.S., anyway. Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »

Geeez.  People just do not get it.  THIS IS A PICTURE THREAD.  There is another thread for arguing the merits of owning or not owning guns.  It is REALLY so hard for supposedly intelligent people to understand this, or have I erred in assuming that most people's IQ on this list at least reaches room temperature on a cold day?

O.K. fair and valid point Punch. Everyone please excuse my contribution to defend the fundamental merits of the right to bear arms in the U.S.
Indeed it is veering off the OP topic.

Nor will I defend whether my IQ is above room temperature on a cold day. Not sure it's always above room temp on a summer day and I live in South Florida!  Cheesy

That is OK.  The person who posted under you as it all covered.  I think he is from Yellowknife, in the winter. :-)

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »

And my SKS came with a bayonet, but I took it off (serves no purpose). I will say that surprisingly the SKS is one of the most accurate weapons I've ever fired.

I had one from China, and when used with the Chinese match ammo, it could hold 1.5" groups at 100yds all day.  I used it for shooting bowling pins in competition.  Every bit as effective as the AR-15's and HK's in use then, only far more reliable.  Out of two cases of ammunition that I put through it, there were zero malfunctions.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

SOG is based in part up in our area. That is where we got some of the throwing knives and the machete. I actually waited in line almost 2 hours while 8 months pregnant with 3 kids to buy them for my husband as a Christmas gift. Fortunately one child was with her godmother, unfortunately she would have been the easiest one to have with me while waiting in line. I ended up with the three crazy busy ones. We were quite the interesting sight given how many people were gawking at us. I think the men were concerned my water would break at any moment! Grin laugh
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:43:49 PM by Quinault » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »

Ahem, to allow the government to commission a well-regulated militia. In the U.S., anyway. Roll Eyes

I refer you to Thomas Jefferson, or you know, any other of those guys who wrote the document you are referring to.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »

In Europe, the murder rate is much lower (per year and 100 000 citizens - 0.85 in Denmark and 4.8 in the US).

At the same time, there is strict gun control, and hardly anyone owns one, except for hunting.

It's a lost cause.  Americans desperately want to live in a third world country.  

Don't worry about us.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:16:59 PM by vamrat » Logged
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

And for those here who consider themselves to be Christian: If someone comes to kill or rape you, why don't you turn the other cheek?

1. Population control.

2. In the first case, I cannot since I would be dead.  In the second, it depends on what he/she/it looks like.  And since you profess the idea of turning the other cheek, PM me your address.  I may like to try a few things out on you, since you don't mind and would not resist.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

It's a lost cause.  Americans desperately want to live in a third world country.  

Don't worry about us.  

Still, it is sad to see the direction the country of my birth is heading.  At some point though I suppose I do become irrelevant American diaspora. 
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »

Don't worry about us.  

Still, it is sad to see the direction the country of my birth is heading.  At some point though I suppose I do become irrelevant American diaspora. 

I don't think you can blame our economic and social issues on firearms ownership.  There are plenty of other factors at work.

For example, what is gun ownership like in Ukraine?  How does the economy compare?

Let me illustrate this - yesterday I rented for a few minutes an Uzi 9mm (I would post the pic, but I have been having nothing but problems uploading images on here).  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure an average Ukrainian citizen could go to a shooting range and rent a submachinegun.  Furthermore, based on the per capita GDP posted on the CIA World Fact Book, it would take the average Ukrainian two days to afford the cost of renting the gun and the 100 rounds of ammunition I shot off in about 15 seconds per magazine.  For me, it wasn't exactly cheap, but a sum I could easily part with.  And better yet, I probably paid the wages for most of the people working there for that hour, so that helped the economy.

Things aren't great over here, but I don't think more gun control would solve our issues.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »

And since you profess the idea of turning the other cheek, PM me your address.  I may like to try a few things out on you, since you don't mind and would not resist.
Christian forum, bro.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »

It's a lost cause.  Americans desperately want to live in a third world country. 

Don't worry about us. 

I don't think you can blame our economic and social issues on firearms ownership.  There are plenty of other factors at work.

For example, what is gun ownership like in Ukraine?  How does the economy compare?

I think the obsession with guns is more indicative of a general social and cultural decline rather than the root problem.  The toothpaste has been out of the tube for a long while in the US, so cleaning up American cities of guns isn't going to happen over night - even if there were a sudden cultural change. 

Don't look at official statistics re: Ukraine, as all of them are incredibly skewed.  Basically the gun situation is that they are far too expensive for the lower classes to afford.  That's probably the real reason gun violence isn't a big issue here.  If you REALLY want a gun it is possible, but it is expensive and requires quite a few permits / training courses.  For a middle class person it is possible, but only if one is really dedicated.  For the very wealthy it is just a matter of money as all of the permits can be issued for the right price.  Where there is a big cultural difference is that I'd say a good 9 / 10 middle class Ukrainians would bristle at the thought of gun ownership.  Weapons are associated with either the super rich oligarch class, which is despised or with the gopnik class, who are also hated.  The gopniki, of course, can't afford guns but knives and primitive improvised weapons are a real threat.  I had a gopnik pull a knife on me about a month ago... not fun.  Middle class Ukrainians don't have the Rambo fantasy displayed by many on this thread (and really at the heart of the American gun culture).  Instead middle class Ukrainians simply modify their behavior to stay out of harm's way - avoid certain areas, don't go out late at night, etc.     
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:00:48 PM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »

And since you profess the idea of turning the other cheek, PM me your address.  I may like to try a few things out on you, since you don't mind and would not resist.
Christian forum, bro.

Post of the Decade!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

Christian forum, bro.

What's wrong?  Punch is just trying to help Gorazd grow in his faith.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »

Christian forum, bro.

And your point?  Look through the history of "Christianity" and you will find far worse.  In any case, satire - how does it work?  Look the word up in Wikipedia and you will see me on the side.  I will stop posting satire when people stop posting stupid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:19:09 PM by Punch » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »

And your point?  Look through the history of "Christianity" and you will find far worse.
My point is that mocking a teaching of Christ is sort of goofy on a Christian forum.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »

Over in Oakland, a city that borders my city in California, you can illegally get a gun for only $40 and sometimes even less if it has a body on it...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

And your point?  Look through the history of "Christianity" and you will find far worse.
My point is that mocking a teaching of Christ is sort of goofy on a Christian forum.

I agree.  That is why I wrote the satire against it.  No place does the Church teach that I have to watch my family be killed or raped and not attempt to stop it.  Even deadly force is allowable in such instances.  I am getting tired of the limp writsted cowards that do no seem to have the stomach to defend themselves or their loved ones, and want someone else to put their life on the line for their chicken butts, but can sure find the time to ruin a thread not intended to discuss a matter by their drivel. 

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #205 on: April 07, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »

No place does the Church teach that I have to watch my family be killed or raped and not attempt to stop it. 

It's awfully scary in this world, isn't it? Rapists are everywhere.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »

Over in Oakland, a city that borders my city in California, you can illegally get a gun for only $40 and sometimes even less if it has a body on it...

A gun has a body on it?  Huh Do you pull the gun out from under a corpse on the floor?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

No place does the Church teach that I have to watch my family be killed or raped and not attempt to stop it. 

I've met enough women who've been raped that I find it's not necessary for rapists to be everywhere, just one at the wrong time is enough.  Or several at the wrong time. 

Here's my challenge to everyone getting on to Punch on here, if you know a woman who has been raped, go up to her and tell her to get over it and just turn the other cheek. 

(FWIW, I do know women who've been raped or sexually assaulted, etc.  I won't be joining you.)
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »

A gun has a body on it?  Huh Do you pull the gun out from under a corpse on the floor?

That is a street term use. When the authorities can trace the internal rifling of a gun or bullet to a previous murder.  Holding the owner of that gun accountable to a previous crime they may have not done.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

Okay, thank you.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »

The picture if off the Internet, but the pistol is the same as mine with exception that my scope is brushed nickel rather than blued.  This is a really nice combination.  The 2X Burris is a boon for those like me who's eyes are not what they used to be.  The Bisley frame makes it really comfortable to shoot.  BTW - this is a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 Magnum.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:45:24 PM by Punch » Logged

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

Sitting on my hip right now.  Picture is off the internet.  Mine is identical to this.  Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk, .44 Magnum.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »

I've met enough women who've been raped that I find it's not necessary for rapists to be everywhere, just one at the wrong time is enough.  Or several at the wrong time. 

Here's my challenge to everyone getting on to Punch on here, if you know a woman who has been raped, go up to her and tell her to get over it and just turn the other cheek. 

(FWIW, I do know women who've been raped or sexually assaulted, etc.  I won't be joining you.)

Yes.  You and I know a woman who would be particularly amuzed with some on this forum, particularly those who like to see people disarmed so they can be nice victims.  Since the first person who raped her, when she was only five years old, was a Baptist Deacon, and the Roman Catholic priest who had to "purify her womb" with his penis before he would baptize her daughter, she has pretty interesting view of "Christians".  She likes my brand of Christianity a bit better, and would be pretty revolted at the Kalinas and Gorzads on this forum.  Yes, tell her to be a good Christian and "turn the other cheek".  Or maybe "roll over".  I want to be there when you do.  I have never actually got a chance to see a gun (which she has now) shoved so far up a person's rear that a dentist would have to remove it.  But I would find it interesting.  And, I am sure they would "turn the other cheek" so she could do it again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:26:22 PM by Punch » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »

I still do not get the purpose of this topic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

I have endured sexual assault. In my case a gun would have been worthless. A gun wouldn't make me feel any safer. Women aren't the only ones that are sexually assaulted either. It actually really irks me when people single out women as the only victims of sexual assault. Men and boys are victimized too. For the average victim a gun would be pretty worthless since most sexual assault victims are abused by people they know/trust not random strangers.

I like knives. Sure they can be great self defense weapons if used correctly. But they have a purpose outside of self defense or hunting. I use the knife I keep in my purse on a daily basis.

Self defense in reference to strangers starts with knowing how to keep out of dangerous situations. An actual self defense course such as Krav Maga would be far more useful than a gun. Owning a gun (or knife) is useless if you don't know how to use it. And to really know how to use a gun you need to do more than target practice every few weeks/months. Most people can't target practice on a daily basis. Knowing how to shoot a gun in theory won't actually guarantee that you will do so in a dangerous situation. It is one thing to shoot at a target, another altogether to shoot another human being. There is a reason why the military has to work so hard to condition soldiers to shoot/attack. Unless you are semi sociopathic it isn't all that easy to kill someone. It isn't instinctual to kill someone unless you have trained hours and hours and broken down the instinct not to kill that is there inherently.

If you are going to shoot a person, you shoot to kill. Center mass and head shots only. It isn't like in the movies where you shoot them in the leg/arm in hopes of stopping them. This is why I am more comfortable with knives. I can incapacitate a person with a well placed knife cut, I don't have to go for the "kill shots" so to speak. There are defenses to the "defanging the snake" techniques that need to be practiced so they become instinctual. But that isn't the same as practicing to kill someone. Yes, I could kill someone with a knife by virtue of them bleeding out. But it is one thing to aim to incapacitate versus kill.

Even though I have endured plenty of things I would not wish on anyone else, I still wouldn't take the idea of ending someone else's life lightly in defending myself. Honestly I don't want to get to the point where it would be easy to kill someone even in self defense. I know for me personally if I were to cross that threshold it would change me on a fundamental level. I have enough violent/angry tendencies to deal with already.

Now- you try to harm my kids and your life is OVER. Wink I think there is some sort of overriding instinct there that is uncontrollable. So I really do pity the person on the otherside of my knives if they harm or attempt to harm my children.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:29:14 PM by Quinault » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »

the purpose of this thread is so gun owners can show off their guns and brag about who has the best one
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »

I think the thread title pretty much says it Wink  Though I suppose context is important... on other sites I'm on, if I saw that thread title, I'd see pics more like this...

With comments like: "You mirin my gains? Phils good man"

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »

I understand the desire to have a gun to protect your loved ones. I know that I would never use a gun even if I had one. I don't like the noise and I don't want to shoot to kill. To a large extent the reason why we DON'T have a gun is precisely because it would be so easy for my husband to use one. I think his deployments are just too recent for him to be comfortable with guns for now. Maybe in a few years we will get a gun. I don't have any problems with having a gun. If we were to get a gun I would make sure I know how to use it even if I never intend to use it. But for now the arsenal of knives and such are plenty. I would like to get a crossbow next Wink It is too bad you can't hunt in our state using a crossbow, throwing knives or a spear, that would be AWESOME. Crossbows are idiot proof. And nothing says leave me alone like an arrow going straight thru your body! LOL
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:49:12 PM by Quinault » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:47 PM »

I understand the desire to have a gun to protect your loved ones. I know that I would never use a gun even if I had one. I don't like the noise and I don't want to shoot to kill. To a large extent the reason why we DON'T have a gun is precisely because it would be so easy for my husband to use one. I think his deployments are just too recent for him to be comfortable with guns for now. Maybe in a few years we will get a gun. I don't have any problems with having a gun. If we were to get a gun I would make sure I know how to use it even if I never intend to use it. But for now the arsenal of knives and such are plenty. I would like to get a crossbow next Wink It is too bad you can't hunt in our state using a crossbow, throwing knives or a spear, that would be AWESOME. Crossbows are idiot proof. And nothing says leave me alone like an arrow going straight thru your body! LOL

Out of your two posts there is a lot of wisdom to be found.  In fact, there is only one point where I categorically disagree with you.  A crossbow is NOT idiot-proof.  I would offer proof...but it would be too humiliating.  

BTW, where do you buy replacement crossbow strings?   Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:15:03 PM by vamrat » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2012, 11:16:08 PM »

the purpose of this thread is so gun owners can show off their guns and brag about who has the best one

Oh geez.  If that were the only point I would put in a picture of my gat and we could /thread.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »

And nothing says leave me alone like an arrow going straight thru your body!

My new do might.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »

Out of your two posts there is a lot of wisdom to be found.  In fact, there is only one point where I categorically disagree with you.  A crossbow is NOT idiot-proof.  I would offer proof...but it would be too humiliating.  

BTW, where do you buy replacement crossbow strings?   Cheesy

Cabelas sells replacement strings Cheesy I would love to hear the story behind your proof that crossbows aren't idiot proof!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:35:16 PM by Quinault » Logged
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »

Done.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »

BTW, where do you buy replacement crossbow strings?   Cheesy

Cabelas sells replacement strings Cheesy I would love to hear the story behind your proof that crossbows aren't idiot proof!

"Ok, now that I have it drawn it's usually not best to dry fire these things.  Supposedly it can snap the string.  Oh well, never has before..."  [ffwwthungtsk]

[chorus of laughter]

"Oh crap."
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

Fortunately bow strings are fairly inexpensive. Cheesy

At least it was the string and not one of the limbs!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:43:00 PM by Quinault » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: