OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 03:28:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITT: We discuss modern vs. contemporary literature  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: October 29, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »

From the Other Topics board, the following discussion took place regarding a distinction between Modern and contemporary literature:

The OP, rewritten without starting sentences with "it" or "and":

Anyone who has read a fair amount of classic English literature (e.g. KJV, Shakespeare, Milton) knows there is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with "And" or "It." This is one of those vacuous rules invented by semi-literates who somehow landed a job teaching grammar to children.

My apparently semi-literate English teachers didn't teach me the grammar of the KJV, Shakespeare, Milton, et al.

Consider technical writing.  Look at any technical paper out there - any sentences that start with it or and?

I used to give presentations to a customer who harshly criticized the use of "this" in spoken language.
The piece under consideration, horrendous though it be, is a poem, and not the instruction manual for a Thighmaster, though the literary merit of the two pieces may not be too dissimilar.

Consider modern authors like J.K. Rowling or E.L. James.  I wonder if either of them starts a sentence with it or and?  Huh
If you're being facetious, bravo!  If you're serious: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'll accept what you say as a compliment.   laugh

Modern Authors include, but are not limited to: Oscar Wilde, James Joyce,  Bram Stoker, Flann O'Brien, Virgina Woolf and others.

I'm not familiar with any of their work so I wouldn't know if they started sentences with it or and.  By mentioning J.K. Rowling and E.L. James, I'm narrowing modern authors to British authors born after 1963.

Those would be contemporary  authors, not modern authors. The Modern Period, by easy conventions, begins with Queen Victoria up until around the 1950s

Contemporary is a synonym for modern.  Why create another division in the 1950's?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »

From the Other Topics board, the following discussion took place regarding a distinction between Modern and contemporary literature:

The OP, rewritten without starting sentences with "it" or "and":

Anyone who has read a fair amount of classic English literature (e.g. KJV, Shakespeare, Milton) knows there is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with "And" or "It." This is one of those vacuous rules invented by semi-literates who somehow landed a job teaching grammar to children.

My apparently semi-literate English teachers didn't teach me the grammar of the KJV, Shakespeare, Milton, et al.

Consider technical writing.  Look at any technical paper out there - any sentences that start with it or and?

I used to give presentations to a customer who harshly criticized the use of "this" in spoken language.
The piece under consideration, horrendous though it be, is a poem, and not the instruction manual for a Thighmaster, though the literary merit of the two pieces may not be too dissimilar.

Consider modern authors like J.K. Rowling or E.L. James.  I wonder if either of them starts a sentence with it or and?  Huh
If you're being facetious, bravo!  If you're serious: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'll accept what you say as a compliment.   laugh

Modern Authors include, but are not limited to: Oscar Wilde, James Joyce,  Bram Stoker, Flann O'Brien, Virgina Woolf and others.

I'm not familiar with any of their work so I wouldn't know if they started sentences with it or and.  By mentioning J.K. Rowling and E.L. James, I'm narrowing modern authors to British authors born after 1963.

Those would be contemporary  authors, not modern authors. The Modern Period, by easy conventions, begins with Queen Victoria up until around the 1950s

Contemporary is a synonym for modern.  Why create another division in the 1950's?

Because there are "hipsters", "literati", and pseudo-intellectuals who think they are beyond and better than "modern", i.e. post-modern?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »

Modern philosophy: Descartes through Hegel

Contemporary philosophy: Mostly twentieth century stuff, but can go back as far as Kierkegaard .

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

Because there are "hipsters", "literati", and pseudo-intellectuals who think they are beyond and better than "modern", i.e. post-modern?

I agree that there is such a thing as post-modern literature; however, using the examples of J.K. Rowling and E.L. James, I see nothing post-modern about their work.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »

Modern philosophy: Descartes through Hegel

Contemporary philosophy: Mostly twentieth century stuff, but can go back as far as Kierkegaard .

Is there a distinction between contemporary and post-modern when applied to philosophy?
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »

I agree that there is such a thing as post-modern literature; however, using the examples of J.K. Rowling and E.L. James, I see nothing post-modern about their work.

I would file their works as "rubbish."  Well, Rowling is just contemporary children's fiction.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

So...what distinguishes post-modern lit. from any other kind of literature?  Surely it has something to do with style and "attitude" and not just the calendar?

Next question:  Why do these distinctions even matter??

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »

Because we're humans and love distinctions, haha.

A secondary example of Modern could stretch as far back as Shakespeare.

Part of the reason for distinction is to group them into movements, and to avoid the eternal modern, because if modern simply means now, then we are always living in modernity, and even something written 3 years ago is no longer modern, because it belongs to the past. Even this post is no longer modern, because by the time I hit the post button, the action of my posting is completed.

SCREW BON JOVI!
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

Also, the 1950s should more accurately be, the fall of Nazi Germany in 1945 and the end of the war.

SCREW BON JOVI!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »

Contemporary hardly means modern.

For sloppy day to day talk fine, but once you use hifalutin talk like literature, that dog no longer hunts.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »

For sloppy day to day talk fine, but once you use hifalutin talk like literature, that dog no longer hunts.

When does something that someone writes (usually fiction??) become "literature", as opposed to, well....non-literature?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 03:37:06 PM »

When does something that someone writes (usually fiction??) become "literature", as opposed to, well....non-literature?

Really J Michal do you ever ask something which has some substance? You want a rule set for everything and you like many others think inability to offer one and realizing that no rule set can be offered is some profound insight or legitimate criticism. The forum buzzes with too many would be gadflies.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »

Ask the Barnes and Noble employee. I am sure they can offer you a definition via a list.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »

"Where do you draw the line?" is generally a pretty unhelpful question that leads to insanity.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »

I believe Harold Bloom canonized the entirety of Western Literature.

Look up his book.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

I vaguely recall Harold Bloom having some choice words about J.K. Rowling

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »

Tolkien too.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »

Look up his book.

A list of books Harold Bloom happens to like isn't the same as the Western Canon.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »

LOL yeah and I forgot who else.

But it was more for Jeff's amusement.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »

Look up his book.

A list of books Harold Bloom happens to like isn't the same as the Western Canon.
I guess I need to make jokes more obvious.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

Really J Michal do you ever ask something which has some substance? You want a rule set for everything and you like many others think inability to offer one and realizing that no rule set can be offered is some profound insight or legitimate criticism. The forum buzzes with too many would be gadflies.

Yes, I do.  Guess you missed them.  I think there might have been one or two hiding amongst my 8300+ posts.   But God only knows what you consider to be "substance".  I, for one, do not pretend to profundity, nor do I have any need to attempt to establish some kind of "legitimacy" from, of all people, you.  If you don't like my posts or my substance-less questions, you're certainly free to ignore them with no hard feelings from me.  That's what I do to most of your posts, even the ones I understand.

"The forum buzzes with too many would be gadflies"---And you're the self-appointed fly slayer??  ROTFL!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:24:19 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »

Ask the Barnes and Noble employee. I am sure they can offer you a definition via a list.

That was helpful.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »

Look up his book.

I guess I need to make jokes more obvious.

Emoticons are useful for that very purpose.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »

Yes, I do.  Guess you missed them.  I think there might have been one or two hiding amongst my 8300+ posts.   But God only knows what you consider to be "substance".  I, for one, do not pretend to profundity, nor do I have any need to attempt to establish some kind of "legitimacy" from, of all people, you.  If you don't like my posts or my substance-less questions, you're certainly free to ignore them with no hard feelings from me.  That's what I do to most of your posts, even the ones I understand.

"The forum buzzes with too many would be gadflies"---And you're the self-appointed fly slayer??  ROTFL!!!

Michael, this responses, for me, establishes you as one of the most reasonable and legitmate of posters. I enjoy everything you write on this forum.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: