Author Topic: I Think Jesus is the Son of God, But What Now  (Read 1690 times)

Offline What is the Light

I Think Jesus is the Son of God, But What Now
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »
So it is after years of searching that I have finally come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is the son of God, I have held this for around four to five weeks now.  But I know that my opinions shift, I could change my mind. My faith in this is not rock solid at all. So I do not know what to do. Should I commit to Christianity more somehow? I'm reading the New Testament to get a better feel of Jesus and his message. I'm also thinking of talking to my local Orthodox priest. I also don't go to any church.

Any advice for a sincere seeker?   

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
Re: I Think Jesus is the Son of God, But What Now
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
So it is after years of searching that I have finally come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is the son of God, I have held this for around four to five weeks now.  But I know that my opinions shift, I could change my mind. My faith in this is not rock solid at all. So I do not know what to do. Should I commit to Christianity more somehow? I'm reading the New Testament to get a better feel of Jesus and his message. I'm also thinking of talking to my local Orthodox priest. I also don't go to any church.

I definitely would sit down with an Orthodox priest near you. This is a delicate time for you where your mind is open and can be attacked very easily. I would talk to the priest. He should give you some books to start out on, also some scripture to look at. Also, I'd pray for direction......quite a bit.

God bless you and Im glad you've at least come as far as you have :)

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »

I think you are on target.  Reading through the New Testament and meeting with a priest would be a good combination.  And welcome to the forum.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
It's good to know that I'm on the right track. I've heard I should really read The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware, would you suggest that?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »
It's good to know that I'm on the right track. I've heard I should really read The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware, would you suggest that?

Eh go with his The Orthodox Way instead. The first half of the Orthodox Church deals mostly with Church history and the second half about the Church itself.

I think you should start attending Vespers for awhile then Divine Liturgy. That's just me though.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
Theosis; in other words, let Jesus Christ bring you towards Himself and transform you into what you were always meant to be.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »

If you enjoy history, then you'll find The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware an interesting read.  He does talk about some reasons why things are done the way they are here and there through out the book.  I found the Orthodox Way a good one as well.  There is such a wealth of information out there - one of the things, whichever book you choose to dig into first, pay attention to the references as they will guide you to the books to read next - and talk to your Priest about what ever you choose to read to make sure it's something that would fit YOU where you are at NOW.
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
Congratulations.  :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »
"The Sayings of the Desert Fathers" (I have the Benedicta Ward translation, but there are others) have done more for me than Ware's books ever did, but that might be better once you're a little more grounded in where you're headed, or at least know how you best relate to the faith. Regardless of what you choose to read, prayer is better than anything. Pray often. May God guide you and protect you on your way.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
This is a a basic question should I pray to Jesus or God or Both?

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
Should I commit to Christianity more somehow?

It would be good for you to start attending an Orthodox church (preferebly one that does everything in a language you can understand) near you on a regular weekly basis and maybe sit down with the priest. There is a lot of benefit to joining in the prayers in the liturgy and as the cycle of readings and commemorations goes by it will provide good instruction. Make sure to stay for the coffe hour and talk to the people there. It will help you develop a sense of community with the congregation there.

I'm reading the New Testament to get a better feel of Jesus and his message.

This is good.

I've heard I should really read The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware, would you suggest that?

I found it beneficial when I was inquiring.

Here are some links to my blog discussing some of the things we say about Jesus as being the Christ and the Son of God. I've been told that these posts provide a good basic overview of the topics they cover. I hope they help.

Peter's Confession of Faith
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/08/jesus-prayer-part-2-peters-confession.html

Jesus as Lord
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/08/jesus-prayer-part-4-lord.html

The Name Jesus
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/09/jesus-prayer-part-5-jesus.html

Christ as the Great High Priest
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/09/jesus-prayer-part-6-christ-as-great.html

Christ as King
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/09/jesus-prayer-part-7-christ-king.html

Christ and King Cyrus
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/09/jesus-prayer-part-8-christ-and-king.html

Jesus as the Son of God
http://openthoumylips.blogspot.com/2011/10/jesus-prayer-part-9-son-of-god.html
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »

Both. The Lord's prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 is a good starting point for basic Christian prayer.
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:19:11 AM »
Definitely speak to a priest and start immersing yourself into the church's prayer life. Vespers is an excellent way to start and, for a lot of converts, is the service that "acclimates" them to the nature of Orthodox spirituality.  For books, you can read Bishop KALLISTOS' The Orthodox Church and The ORthodox Way.  Other books that have been helpful to new inquirers are Fr. Anthony Coniaris' Introducing the Orthodox Church as well as some of Clark Carlton's books like The Way (written for Protestants) and The Truth (written for Catholics).  Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 02:29:15 AM »
Good question.

The ancient form of one of our doxologies is: "Glory to the Father through the Son and in the Holy Spirit..."

It is in this manner that we pray to God. We pray to God [the Father] through Jesus Christ, and this prayer is facilitated via the Holy Spirit.

Because you are just learning about Christianity, perhaps it will take some time to understand what and who the Holy Spirit is. This is also right on track; in ancient times, knowledge of the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary and things like that was usually given to Christians after they had begun learning about Jesus Christ and God. There is often a natural progression in holy things.

You can pray to Jesus Christ or to the Father, either one is acceptable. A prayer to Jesus Christ is, by definition, a prayer through Him to the Father. A Prayer to the Father is, by definition, through Jesus Christ.

The Lord's Prayer is one of the most fundamental Christian prayers, and would be a good place to start praying. It is from the sixth chapter of the Gospel of Matthew. It is good to pray it as many times a day as you can:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.

Or, if you prefer a more modern translation, here is the Eastern Orthodox Bible version:

Our Father in heaven, may Your name be sanctified,
May Your Kingdom come,
May Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our Sustaining Bread,
And forgive us our debts as we also forgive our debtors.
Do not bring us to a period of trial, but deliver us from the evil one.

Both. The Lord's prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 is a good starting point for basic Christian prayer.
Edit: I didn't see this post. Melodist is correct.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:31:13 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 02:40:10 AM »
I would agree with what others have said here.  Start going to church regularly.  There is really no substitute for attending services.  And please do speak with a priest.  Once you start attending services regularly you will notice the changes beginning in yourself.  There is a rhythm to the liturgy that you will become aware of as you participate in it; it speaks to the soul.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:40:48 AM by peteprint »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »
Perhaps you could also buy or print from the web some Orthodox prayers and start praying on a daily basis?
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!