Author Topic: A quick Hello and a small question about contributions  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Ava

A quick Hello and a small question about contributions
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
Hello!  Since I've been prowling these boards with a enthusiastic need for learning Orthdox teachings, I feel obligated to say hi (sorry I'm quite shy) and ask a fairly silly question.
I grew up athiest growing  into agnostic to someone who wants to be a Christian but looking for the right path.  I admit that I haven't even heard about Eastern Orthodox until last year.  I finally got the guts to visit my local Orthodox Church and was received with the warmest welcome!   I was scared that my formerly non-believer status would be looked down upon.  My experience with non-orthodox churches has always been met with the threat of fire and brimstone for not converting, and accusing my parents who in their eyes were evil for not taking me to church.  Needless to say, that's when I instantly turn off the light switch for insulting my parents.  Visiting the Orthodox Church, for the first time in my life, I was introduced to what Jesus's love meant.  It was amazing and I've been reading like crazy since.
My local church was so nice inviting me to watch the services and even giving me books to read.  I attending not only my first liturgy, but my first Sunday church service ever!  I found it very nice and comforting, and especially in awe of how everyone's vocal cords can hold up through the entire service.  How impressive!
I'll get to the my question now, is the donation plate the only way to donate to the church on an official basis?  The reason I ask here is because I would like to donate more to the church because they truely have helped me, and I'm so grateful; and plan on going to another church service, but I'm afraid to ask the priest because I don't want to sound like I'm making a business transaction or something.  I know, silly fear, but I'm not exactly in Catechumen status.  I haven't asked yet for that status due to my
ultra-newbie ism.  Plus, I'm not sure if that status is something that is granted by the priest; I don't want to assume anything.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
Re: A quick Hello and a small question about contributions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
Donations of any sort are usually welcome.

For some, monetary donations may be difficult, so perhaps baking a cake or something for coffee hour would be a good idea. If you're the handy sort and see that something in the Church needs repair, feel free to speak up and volunteer your services.

No need to fear speaking to the priest. Just say that you are appreciative of the warm welcome you've been given, and would like to reciprocate in some way.

Ask the priest if the church needs anything. Perhaps an extra set of hands at coffee hour, or someone to trim the hedges, or wipe the candle wax off the carpet.

There are a million and one ways to donate to the church; all are welcome and appreciated!

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ava. 

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
Welcome :)  Regarding giving, I'd simply echo what HandmaidenofGod said...
"Who is your daddy and what does he do?" - A.A. Schwarzenegger

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
Welcome :)  Regarding giving, I'd simply echo what HandmaidenofGod said...

Welcome!

And repeating what Handmaiden and Asteriktos have said....no  matter what it may be, I can't think of a single parish that would refuse a donation!  ;)
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum, may God, bless your journey.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
Welcome Ava!!

You can also sneak an offering into the candle collections box if you feel uncomfortable about contributing into the basket.  When I was growing up, there was only a box at the entrance - there was never a basket or a plate passed. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ava!

I am sure you could help out at your parish, just like Handmaiden has stated.  There's always more work than workers!

If you are wondering about strictly monetary donations, either ask the priest or the person selling the candles.  They'll be able to direct you to the church's financial secretary/treasurer....or just put the sum in an envelope and drop it in the basket.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »
Welcome Ava!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 01:31:25 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Ava

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:51:02 AM »
Thank you everyone   I will definitely take your advice.

This has been such an interesting beginning for me.  Coming from not having any experience with a church, I feel like a kid; but in a good way.   ;D

If I may make an observation and share what I am thankful for.  I am really thankful for the idea of making a journey leading to baptism.  I was always under the impression that baptisms were just an excuse to get started into something and just make followers for the sake of it, but I love how Orthodox teachings take baptism seriously.  The priest told me it may take months leading to that point.  I think that is great.  It would take a long time for me to "jump in the water" so to speak.  As a personal thought, I wouldn't think it would be right to receive a baptism unless I was ready.  I have a lot of soul searching and learning to do first.   :angel:
Thank you for letting me share my thoughts

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »
Thank you for letting me share my thoughts

Please continue to do so.

And I'll add another welcome, from another former agnostic.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
Don't be afraid, Ava. Any offering that you wish to make, of any kind, would be gratefully received. You can either just drop an envelope into the plate or box (our parish doesn't pass the plate - we have a box at the back of the church by the steps, and people just drop their contributions into it whenever. Or, as others have suggested, speak to the priest.
But don't be afraid of "offending" or "breaking" some obscure Orthodox etiquette rule. I always say that Orthodoxy is like a family Thanksgiving dinner- you use your grandmother's dishes and your mother's lace tablecloth, but nobody much minds if you accidentally put your elbows on the table.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Ava

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
ha!  Thank you KatherineofDixie  ;D  I like your analogy   :laugh:

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »
great analogy, i wish my grandmother had been like that (she was proper scary)!

welcome ava,
it's great to have u here. one of my orthodox friends was also a former agnostic.
also my parents were, my very early childhood was one with no knowledge of God.

so keep feeling free to ask questions and make comments, and may God guide u into all truth
 :)