OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timket (Feast of Epiphany)  (Read 1583 times) Average Rating: 0
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« on: January 19, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »

+++

I would like to wish everyone a blessed Timket (Feast of Epiphany)!  Grin

Last year I had the opportunity to celebrate Timket in Addis Ababa, which was a very colorful feast! The celebration of this feast starts by solemn procession of the sacred Tabots (Arks or replica of the tablets) from all the surrounding churches into a common area called Jan Meda (A large tent is assembled for all the Tabots). During the procession, almost all the streets of Addis were closed for driving and people parade with the Tabots of their local church to Jan Meda (some of the processions are long as they may be far from Jan Meda). The youth from the different Sunday schools sing various hymns while accompanying the tabots. You can imagine how the whole city would be filled with loud hymn and kebero (drum).

It was heartbreaking to see the respect some people had for the sacred Tabots. Women would take of their Netela (white shawls), sprinkle it with perfume and lay it on the ground for the priest carrying the Tabot to walk on. The whole air was filled with the sweet smelling incense since the procession was from all directions of Addis.  Once all the Tabots are gathered at Jan Meda, more singing continues until 2-3am when the Liturgy begins. After Liturgy, again more singing and canticles continue into the sunrise. This is when the Holy Patriarich blesses the water by dipping a golden processional cross in it. People get sprinkled or at times jump into the water (There is a wide water basin with a statue of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus Christ erected in the middle).

After the baptism, the Tabots of each church, except St Michael’s church started their way back to their specific churches. The following day was the feast of the Archangel Michael, one of the most popular saints in Ethiopia. That morning, his Tabot was also returned to his church again accompanied by singing and dancing of priests. This marks the end of the Timket Celebration.

If anyone has facebook and is interested to see how the celebration of Timket in Addis goes, here is a link. The album is public so you should be able to view it when u log in with your account.  These are about 200 pics a friend of mine took.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.194424340570871.51646.100000099183001&type=3 

Once again, have a blessed Timket! Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Bytania

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Blessings and love to you Smiley

Timket in Los Angeles 2012

more Timket in Los Angeles 2012

We celebrated a bit early this weekend.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »

Bytania and Habte, thank you for sharing - how absolutely beautiful!! Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
bytania

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »

Habte,
thank you for sharing! I see you guys had a big celebration! Here in the east coast, we are celebrating it tonight and tomorrow. Why was Timket celebrated so early in LA area?

Bytania

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

Beautifully described bytania!  Grin  that was beautiful Habte, Blessed Feast of Epiphany everyone!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
bytania

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:25:14 PM »

Thank you Hiwot,  Grin

Here's a short video of Timket celebration at alexandria, va from this evening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erDOK6MLJt0&feature=youtu.be 

~The Desert Fathers
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 01:31:13 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Habte,
thank you for sharing! I see you guys had a big celebration! Here in the east coast, we are celebrating it tonight and tomorrow. Why was Timket celebrated so early in LA area?

Bytania

We always get the Inglewood Forum parking lot that for the third weekend of January, but usually it is closer to the actual day for Timket, this year it happened to fall early.  Our celebration is sometimes the largest in the US, in 2008 there were dozens of parishes involved, we had 12 Bishops and 24 priests and a dozen tabotat, it was mezmur-izing ..  This year I believe it was Sacramento, Las Vegas, San Jose, Oakland, San Diego, and Los Angeles who celebrated together.  I describe these events to my friends and co-workers as "fireworks exploding of culture, so saturated it is dripping with culture"

What was gorgeous about these Virginia celebrations was the continuity.  What keeps me in the spirit at Qidase or at celebrations as that by the mystics of word-sound-power we all Tewahedo, and often Oriental, and on Sundays all Orthodox, are celebrating together the same spirit, the same prayers, the same culture.  In this way, twenty four hours a day the Lord is honored without ceasing, like Tupac said, "As the world turns.."

much love to y'all as our Lord reveals Himself to us day by day in His Grace.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:34:14 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »

The same to all of us, a blessed Timket!

bytania

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:51:15 PM »

Here's a picture of Abune Paulos, Patriarch of Ethiopia and bishops of all oriental orthodox blessing the water at Timket today in Addis Ababa, ET

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:54:11 PM by bytania » Logged

~The Desert Fathers
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »

Blessed Timket to all! Timket 2011 (G.C.) on the Jordan River

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »

Question ... Huh

Theophany and Epiphany Does it Mean the same Thing,,Or is it That You Celebrate the Three Kings and the Baptisim Of Our Lord, on the River Jordan and Holy Trinity Was revealed .... Huh

A Blessed And Holy Theophany/ Eipiphany ..to all....Amen Amen
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:31:04 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Dear Stashko,  the feast of Epiphany refers to the feast of the Baptism of our Lord. The word Epiphany means 'manifestation/ striking appearance' , and as it is used to refer what happend at the Baptism of our Lord.What was hidden from the world is now at the Baptism  of our Lord revealed, that is : the Revelation of the Holy Trinity to the World at the Baptism of our Lord.

It has nothing to do with the magi to us, but I am aware of what you are refering to.

Smiley

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:43:58 PM »

Dear Stashko,  the feast of Epiphany refers to the feast of the Baptism of our Lord. The word Epiphany means 'manifestation/ striking appearance' , and as it is used to refer what happend at the Baptism of our Lord.What was hidden from the world is now at the Baptism  of our Lord revealed, that is : the Revelation of the Holy Trinity to the World at the Baptism of our Lord.

It has nothing to do with the magi to us, but I am aware of what you are refering to.

Smiley

Thanks for the explanation ....
Again A Most Blessed And Joyous Epiphany .......Christ Is Born...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »

Thank you dear Stashko, Blessed  Feast of Epiphany to you too!

@bytania, wonderful pictures dear! thank you!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:19:03 PM by Hiwot » Logged

Mariama

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Previously known as giraffe

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »

Thank you for sharing the pictures and video.  Truly beautiful. 

A blessed Epiphany to all.
Mariama

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Previously known as giraffe

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »

Oops, forgot to add...  Are there larger scale (read: open to non-OO) Timket celebrations like these in the NY/NJ area?
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:30:35 PM »

Oops, forgot to add...  Are there larger scale (read: open to non-OO) Timket celebrations like these in the NY/NJ area?

Great question, Mariama. I'd like to know as well.

A blessed Timket to all!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
bytania

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »

Greetings in the name of Christ,
I apologize for late response Mariama and CoptoGeek. I am actually not sure (although unlikely) if there is a Timket celebration on a large scale in NY/NJ area. However, I do have some friends that live in that area and are very involved in church activities. Hence I will try to find out. Normally, in areas where the churches are spread out over a wider distance, they usually celebrate individually. You are always welcome to join us here in DC area though  Grin Grin Grin

Glory be unto God Amen!

~The Desert Fathers
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

It should be noted that it is not a coincidence that the Ethiopian Epiphany celebration is celebrated on the same old-calendar day as the EO/Latin Epiphany, even if we celebrate completely different events in Church history.  Further, while the Ethiopian holiday has nothing to do with the Magi, we do share the same theme of Revelation as the EO/Latins, in that I believe they celebrate the Epiphany of Jesus Christ's divinity as revealed to the Magi when they visited the Christ Child and Our Lady.  We celebrate the Epiphany which John the Baptist received when he was baptizing his cousin Jesus.  It has been explained to me that John the Baptist did not know who the Messiah was to be, and that as he said in the Gospels, "And I was not aware of Him, but that He may be manifested to Israel, therefore came I, baptizing in water."  In other words, John the Baptist was commissioned by the Holy Spirit to institute Baptism.  It was further explained to me that John the Baptist was only baptizing so many crowds of people searching for the Messiah, and that the Epiphany would come to him while baptizing, hence why John said, "that He may be manifested.. therefore came I baptizing in water."  However, Jesus Christ was John the Baptist's cousin, and so surely they had known each other, more than likely even growing up together as friends.  Therefore, the true depth of the Epiphany is the surprise to John that who he perhaps least expected, his own cousin and friend, was the Messiah, which further explains John's hesitancy.  Perhaps John expected that once he saw the Epiphany, that Jesus Christ would be the one baptizing him, not reversed!  So John was revealed that Jesus Christ was God Almighty Incarnate, and then the Divine Voice spoke to the crowds  saying, "This is my beloved Son in Whom I delight."

While we celebrate different events, we celebrate the same theme, that of Divine Revelation.  Further, it is not coincidence, we are celebrating on the same days, because the are he same holidays, albeit emphasizing different aspects of the same theme of Epiphany.

It is important we keep focus that the very idea of celebrating the Epiphanies we each ourselves have received in our lives, reminding us that God is with us.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Tags: Timkat Epiphany 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: