OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:27:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow the Pope! You Don't Have To... But Do It!  (Read 446 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »

I've heard that, traditionally anyway, Catholics were expected to follow what the pope taught, so long as there weren't any moral or doctrinal/dogmatic contradictions/issues. In other words, I'm not talking about an infallibile teaching, but rather... I don't know how to phrase it... somewhere between "worthy of being followed" and "obliged to follow"... ?  In other words, sort of: "A good Catholic will follow the teaching because they're obedient to the chief bishop" sort of thing? Not that they have to follow it, but like they should just as a normal way of doing things...? Have I heard wrong or misunderstood, or is that accurate?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »

There is a requirement to give assent to the teachings of the Pope, even when he is not speaking ex cathedra.

"This religious submission of mind and will must be shown in a special way to the authentic magisterium of the Roman Pontiff, even when he is not speaking ex cathedra;
 that is, it must be shown in such a way that his supreme magisterium is acknowledged with reverence, the judgments made by him are sincerely adhered to, according to his manifest mind and will.”

~Dogmatic Constitution on the Church #25

Now Lumen Gentium, the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, is one of the principal documents of the Second Vatican Council. The Constitution was promulgated by Pope Paul VI on November 21, 1964, following approval by the assembled bishops by a vote of 2,151 to 5.  

Whether one posits infallibility in Ecumenical Councils or Popes or both, this document is ungainsayable on all counts, and the Pope was most certainly exercising his magisterial authority.  In other words, Catholics must give assent of mind and will to all papal teachings.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:09:10 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »

I've heard that, traditionally anyway, Catholics were expected to follow what the pope taught, so long as there weren't any moral or doctrinal/dogmatic contradictions/issues. In other words, I'm not talking about an infallibile teaching, but rather... I don't know how to phrase it... somewhere between "worthy of being followed" and "obliged to follow"... ?  In other words, sort of: "A good Catholic will follow the teaching because they're obedient to the chief bishop" sort of thing? Not that they have to follow it, but like they should just as a normal way of doing things...? Have I heard wrong or misunderstood, or is that accurate?

ill use harry potter, because ive heard it applied to the series and the pope

While the Pope may not officaly condemd the books, his opinion as a Bishop/Cardinal/Theologian should be respected, because of his experience as a theologian and clergy
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

ill use harry potter, because ive heard it applied to the series and the pope

While the Pope may not officaly condemd the books, his opinion as a Bishop/Cardinal/Theologian should be respected, because of his experience as a theologian and clergy

Also it is a religious and intellectual assent...not an assent of faith.

I think there are places on the Internet where one can find discussions of the differences of the various exercises of the intellect and will.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »

Thank ye all Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: