OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 09:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inter-Orthodox Theological Conference on Ecumenism  (Read 1106 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« on: September 20, 2004, 05:11:45 AM »

Starting today and ending on Thursday here in Thessaloniki.

Program and speakers

Please keep them in your prayers as it has become apparent that the evil one is not at all happy about this conference.

I'll let you all know when the talks given are available in English (probably won't be for a few months though)

John.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 05:58:09 AM »

I'll let you all know when the talks given are available in English (probably won't be for a few months though)

Good deal Smiley I will definately want to read what Met. Hierotheos and some of the bishops of the Serbian Church have to say; and, hopefully be able to discern what the general response was to their talks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 05:59:41 AM by Paradosis » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 06:45:29 AM »

Here is the press release from the conference.
http://www.orthodoxnet.gr/index.php

Thankfully, Father Peter Heers has also provided a translation in English for those of you who are Greek impaired, though it isn't up on the web yet.

Inter-Orthodox Conference:

"Ecumenism: Origins, Expectations, Disenchantment"

Press Release

"In love, we reject Ecumenism, because we desire to offer to the heterodox precisely that which the Lord richly bestowed upon all of us within His Holy Orthodox Church: the opportunity to become members of His Body."

This, among other things, was stressed at the Inter-Orthodox Conference: "Ecumenism: Origins, Expectations, Disenchantment", which was successfully co-sponsored by the Department of Pastoral Theology of the Theological School of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the "Society of Orthodox Studies" in the midst of large crowds who filled Ceremony Hall at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

The conference took place from September 20-24, 2004. His All-holiness Metropolitan Anthimos of Thessaloniki declared the commencement of the conference. Other Metropolitans and Bishops, the mayor of Thessaloniki, Mr. Panagiotis Psomiadis, Parliament representatives, and university professors were all on hand to offer greetings to the conference and its attendees. Before a packed audience composed of the Abbots of holy monasteries, clergy, monks, and laity, among which were many theologians and students of the Theological School, over a five day period roughly sixty speakers, including Hierarchs, from nearly all of the Local Orthodox Churches, analyzed thoroughly the phenomenon of Ecumenism.

At the conference it was noted that the roughly one hundred year old movement of Ecumenism -- the organized efforts to unite divided Christians -- even if it was, in the beginning of its development, animated by good intentions, has today reached a total dead end -- a truth which is confessed by even the most fervent supporters of inter-Christian dialogue. This is due to the way in which these dialogues were established and directed, and are conducted even today.

Inter-Christian dialogues, with their unacceptable joint prayers and their syncretism, quickly led to inter-religious syncretism, the underpinning of which is the new age theory which proclaims that all of the religions are paths which lead to the same God.

Ecumenism, with these dialogues, gatherings and joint prayers, is placed among the so-called New Age, the New Order, and Globalization and serves political and geo-strategic aims, which are especially visible, even to the most uninformed observer, after the eleventh of September.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 08:53:33 AM »

I'm not sure that I understand what Sept. 11th has to do with anything in this context?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 09:38:49 AM »

I think I understand the Sept. 11 reference, Paradosis, but as to the content of this particular piece, my comment,..."It's about time". This realization is overdue.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: