OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:06:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: By Grace Through Faith  (Read 8785 times) Average Rating: 0
ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

Where else do you expect any enquirer into christianity get their ideas from?

Up until the invention of the printing press enquirers went to the Church, becoming disciples, and didn't spend hours trying to guess what is said in scripture.

AND?
ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

I love your ignorance too Mivac!! "Up until the invention"... Are we living 500 years ago or now? Back to never never land mate!

You are being warned (duration: 99 days) for the multiple ad hominem attacks in this post and two others in this thread.  You are certainly permitted to disagree with someone's position, or to characterize their behavior, but you are never permitted to attack their person.

If you feel this warning is in error, please contact via PM (using the "My Messages" link near the top of the screen) Fr. Chris, the forum administrator.

- Fr. George, Global Mod
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:20:42 PM by Fr. George » Logged
ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

How many hours do I need to spend studying to understand this:

Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ WILL BE SAVED?

Or does that need special interpretation too?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »

Thats the thing.. If someone comes on here without 'orthodox' thinking or understanding, they are immediately looked upon as being 'protestant', with set 'methods' and then treated accordingly. It might be better to just treat people as people rather than 'protestants' or 'evangelicals' just because they don't sound orthodox and don't necessarily agree with exactly what 'orthodoxy' teaches
That is simply not true. We dont call Roman Catholics protestants; and they dont share Orthodox beliefs on many things. However, when you espouse ideas and beliefs that protestantism shares (not to mention your name on this forum is the crux of evangelical protestantism) what do you want us to think/say?

PP

Here we go! Another bright spark! What grade are you in? "Youre name on this forum is the crux of evangelical protestantism"! I could care less!!! It is written in Ephesians 2! I want you to know, I READ IT IN THE BIBLE!
There is absolutely no reason for you to be insulting. I have treated you with courtesy and it would be nice to receive it. I am well aware of your name's reference being in the Bible. I mentioned your name because it is a very common cry from Protestants arguing Roman Catholics. If you cant hold water in debate, insults will just make you more foolish.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »

With out any sarcasm or hidden meaning, I really don't follow what you are talking about.
Why am i not surprised?

Can you be clearer or ask a question?
Yes probably.

I laid out what appears to me to be the Protestant method. You
Me?

take passages that could mean any number of things. You
I do? Where have i done this?

then claim to know it's one true meaning,
Where have i quoted a passage of scripture and claimed it only had one meaning?

the one that fits your agenda.
This, is precisely my point.

It's all up to you and your personal interpretation.
Where have i not listened to others' explanations and interpretations? I think you will find i've asked for others' views and definitions to assist my process on several occasions Marc.

On the  other hand we use Holy Tradition which asks a very simple question; How has this passage been understood throughout the Church over a very long period of time? If there has been a consistent reading, we then don't go further with our own personal spin.

It think that is a cogent analysis.
LOL! Only when spelling cogent, E_R_R_O_N_E_O_U_S.

Sorry if it makes you not like me. I'll live.
Again, where have i said i dislike you? Completely inaccurate once again, i think what i actually said was, i dislike your posts.

I thought you were a Protestant. My error.

Once again. The Protestant method is to cherry pick scriptures that fit their self made views. Passages often can mean several different things. They pick the meaning that fits their own ideas. They reject Holy Tradition so it's every man for himself.

If you want to personalize this be my guest but I meant it as a General criticism

Thats the thing.. If someone comes on here without 'orthodox' thinking or understanding, they are immediately looked upon as being 'protestant', with set 'methods' and then treated accordingly. It might be better to just treat people as people rather than 'protestants' or 'evangelicals' just because they don't sound orthodox and don't necessarily agree with exactly what 'orthodoxy' teaches.

Here are your choices: Protestant, Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Mormon, JH, Jewish, Non Christian religions , Atheist, Agnostic.

Could you let me know where you stand ( sorry if you have mentioned it before). That way no one has to be so very put upon.

Thanks

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »

What about Faith alone not saving? james 2:24? Does that need need your interpretation?
What about I Corinthians 9:27?
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway

Doesnt sound like faith alone. Nor does most of what Christ talks about. Proof texts can go either way, all day long.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

Are you sure I made a mistake thinking you are a Protestant Smiley

So, most everyone, no matter how nominal a "Christian" is pretty much on an elevator to heaven?  I recall being a bit shocked when I read about how to convert to Islam. All one needs to do is make a proclamation of faith out loud, no witnesses necessary and that's all it takes. Easy peezy.

Sometimes after a big meal I proclaim that I am going on a diet the next day. That's real easy too on a full stomach.

So for example, someone is very sick, they proclaim Faith in Christ, says it out loud but after they recover they forget all about it, never set foot in Church or do much of anything virtuous?

Could you explain further? Thanks

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:32:12 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »

With out any sarcasm or hidden meaning, I really don't follow what you are talking about.
Why am i not surprised?

Yes probably.

Me?

Where have i not listened to others' explanations and interpretations? I think you will find i've asked for others' views and definitions to assist my process on several occasions Marc.

On the  other hand we use Holy Tradition which asks a very simple question; How has this passage been understood throughout the Church over a very long period of time? If there has been a consistent reading, we then don't go further with our own personal spin.

Again, where have i said i dislike you? Completely inaccurate once again, i think what i actually said was, i dislike your posts.

Once again. The Protestant method is to cherry pick scriptures that fit their self made views. Passages often can mean several different things. They pick the meaning that fits their own ideas. They reject Holy Tradition so it's every man for himself.

If you want to personalize this be my guest but I meant it as a General criticism

Thats the thing.. If someone comes on here without 'orthodox' thinking or understanding, they are immediately looked upon as being 'protestant', with set 'methods' and then treated accordingly. It might be better to just treat people as people rather than 'protestants' or 'evangelicals' just because they don't sound orthodox and don't necessarily agree with exactly what 'orthodoxy' teaches.

Here are your choices: Protestant, Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Mormon, JH, Jewish, Non Christian religions , Atheist, Agnostic.

Could you let me know where you stand ( sorry if you have mentioned it before). That way no one has to be so very put upon.

Thanks

No... First of all, you do not offer anyone choices. That is how you see truth.. In denominations/cults/sects.. It's no different to you than picking a football team and backing it.

Thats not Jesus! Thats not truth!

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ WILL BE SAVED! I'm one of those.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »

Funny, Jesus said something about the Church....sounds like a body of believers sharing certian beliefs....isn't that a denomination?

PP

Gregory the Great

ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

So, most everyone, no matter how nominal a "Christian" is pretty much on an elevator to heaven?  I recall being a bit shocked when I read about how to convert to Islam. All one needs to do is make a proclamation of faith out loud, no witnesses necessary and that's all it takes. Easy peezy.

Sometimes after a big meal I proclaim that I am going on a diet the next day. That's real easy too on a full stomach.

So for example, someone is very sick, they proclaim Faith in Christ, says it out loud but after they recover they forget all about it, never set foot in Church or do much of anything virtuous?

Well you've never looked into islam any deeper than my new borns baby bath.

That is not the case. Their salvation is based on their works. Not just a statement. There are no guarantees of their salvation even if they are cleaner and purer in their behaviour than the mother theresa.

Neither is true Christian faith based on an empty meaningless statement, but a true recognition that we are sinners and that Christ died for us!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »

Why am i not surprised?

Yes probably.

Me?

Thanks

No... First of all, you do not offer anyone choices. That is how you see truth.. In denominations/cults/sects.. It's no different to you than picking a football team and backing it.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ WILL BE SAVED! I'm one of those.

Will you say if I guess right?  Non denominational Christian.  Am I close?

I actually am not part of any denomination myself since I belong to the Orthodox Church which is not derived from some other source. It is Pre-Denominational.

It helps to know where you stand in General, saves time.

ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »

Funny, Jesus said something about the Church....sounds like a body of believers sharing certian beliefs....isn't that a denomination?

PP

Yeah real funny!! Hahahaa!
Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »

Calls on the name of the Lord.  What pray tell did the Lord set up on earth as His name, often called His Body in scripture!
ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »

Why am i not surprised?

Yes probably.

Me?

Thanks

I actually am not part of any denomination myself since I belong to the Orthodox Church which is not derived from some other source. It is Pre-Denominational.

Get over it.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #329 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »

PP

What? He did talk about the Church. For someone who espouses the Bible, maybe opening it up sometime would help.

PP

Gregory the Great

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »

That is not the case. Their salvation is based on their works. Not just a statement. There are no guarantees of their salvation even if they are cleaner and purer in their behaviour than the mother theresa.

Neither is true Christian faith based on an empty meaningless statement, but a true recognition that we are sinners and that Christ died for us!

You miss understood. I meant their conversion is push button just like your version of Salvation.

ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »

What about Faith alone not saving? james 2:24? Does that need need your interpretation?
What about I Corinthians 9:27?
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway

Doesnt sound like faith alone. Nor does most of what Christ talks about. Proof texts can go either way, all day long.

PP

Indeed:

James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »

You miss understood. I meant their conversion is push button just like your version of Salvation.

What is the point of conversion without salvation? Don't be silly!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #333 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »

Why am i not surprised?

Yes probably.

Me?

Thanks

Get over it.

One more try Alfred.

Lone Wolf, sitting in his basement insomniac cleaning his guns pouring over the bible arguing on the Internet "he was kind of a loner" said the neighbors after you crack.....Christian

Close?

ByGracethroughFaith

« Reply #334 on: January 18, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

PP

What? He did talk about the Church. For someone who espouses the Bible, maybe opening it up sometime would help.

PP

I'd better not hey.. Think of the heresy!!  Ooohhhh!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #335 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »

PP

PP

I'd better not hey.. Think of the heresy!!  Ooohhhh!
Are you sure you're not a sockpuppet of Alfred? i remember him diverting when his argument was crushed too.....

PP

Gregory the Great

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #336 on: January 18, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »

This thread is locked until we've all had a chance to cool off. Attempts to bypass this lock by taking the conversation to another thread will be met with harsh disciplinary action.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #337 on: January 23, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »

Regardless of the moderator's final decision whether or not to unlock the thread, the folks engaged in these polemical discussions need to be more careful to avoid argumentum ad hominem.  Make your comments about their points and positions, not their persons.

If you wish to continue using ad hominems, take it to the Private Fora.  If you don't have access to the Private Fora, but want to, PM Fr. Chris.

- Fr. George, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #338 on: January 23, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »

Thread unlocked
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #339 on: January 23, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »

...AND ANOTHER THING!!!!!! lol Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #340 on: January 23, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

ok everyone let's play nice...
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #341 on: January 23, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »

I was balking against the idea that i took scripture so lightly that i might utilise it to provide a proof-text for a belief of my own making. I haven't suggested anyone else here does.
Such a process, I think, does not necessarily entail something nefarious; everyone who seeks to interpret scripture must do so within a constellation of assumptions which are not self-evident or resolvable strictly by the Renaissance Christian humanist model of grammatical/philological/historical exegesis.

The degree to which this operates within evangelicalism which on a popular level still leans toward outmoded foundationalist assumptions which are virtually indefensible when seriously scrutinized is explained by this Protestant author who has provided an excellent critique of his own tradition's historic sola scriptura (or as he puts it nuda scriptura!) stance.

Quote from: FountainPen
Marc, can you not see the reason i'm questioning it is because the implications of Christ's human body being in more than one place? If that were so, it would mean he wasn't fully human and that would present a serious problem with His nature.
To be vigorously consistent with this objection from necessary localization, would you deny Christ can be in us and we in Him or "wherever two or more gather in my name I am there with them"?

Is Christ really present in this manner or only symbolically present?

May God grant you many years; thanks for your consideration.

Silly Stars
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #342 on: January 23, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »

Marc, can you not see the reason i'm questioning it is because the implications of Christ's human body being in more than one place? If that were so, it would mean he wasn't fully human and that would present a serious problem with His nature
My stace was yes, Jesus was fully human, but also fully God at the same time. Although he got hungry, he also raised from the dead, became insubstantial (some folks that is what is being referred to when scripture says, "passed through the midst of them" when folks tried to kill Him), commanded demons, and completely distorted reality by turning water into wine, multiplying fishes and loaves, and showed his glory.

We can not limit Christ's divinity by His humanity.

PP

Gregory the Great

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #343 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »

ok everyone let's play nice...

I cant even remember what we were talking about Smiley

When you have Altzhiemers you can make new friends every day.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: