OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox & Roman Catholic Dialogue  (Read 3008 times) Average Rating: 0
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

The 9th meeting of the International Joint Commission for Roman Catholic and Oriental Orthodox Dialogue is taking place this week in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Will Pope Benedict XVI be there? By the way, what could be the reason that no Roman Catholic Pope has ever visited Ethiopia? The Globetrotter Popes have traveled to all countries but not to Ethiopia.

What's your take on the Orthodox Catholic, Orient and Occident dialogue?

http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/news-details/international-commission-for-roman-catholic-and-oriental-orthodox-dialogue-meets-in-rome/

HERE YOU CAN SEE A RARE PICTURE OF COPTIC PATRIARCH JOHN (YOHANNES) VIII [1300-1320 AD]

http://copticliterature.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/a-rare-picture-of-coptic-patriarch-john-yohannes-viii-1300-1320-ad-%D8%B5%D9%88%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%AF%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%84%D9%84%D8%A3%D9%86%D8%A8%D8%A7-%D9%8A%D9%88%D8%A3%D9%86%D8%B3/

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »

You know, that's odd- I thought maybe Pope John Paul II had gone there, but maybe not. It's about time the RCC Pope visits, then.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »

I don't think it will go very far. There is simply far too great of a theological chasm, IMO. But, hopefully the dialogues will promote mutual love and understanding.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »

How old is the picture itself?  Because then we can accurately find out from the date what Coptic bishops/patriarchs might have worn.  It could be a 16th Century painting, which may show only what 16th Century clerics might have worn, with an anachronistic depiction of a 13th Century patriarch.

OR

It could be what Ethiopian bishops/patriarchs have worn, where they might [mis]represent a Coptic patriarch in these clothes.

Nevertheless, a fascinating share.  Thank you!  If more and more icons/paintings of that time appear, maybe we might find out more about Medieval Coptic/Ethiopian clerical dressing.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:02:18 AM »

The 9th meeting of the International Joint Commission for Roman Catholic and Oriental Orthodox Dialogue is taking place this week in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Will Pope Benedict XVI be there? By the way, what could be the reason that no Roman Catholic Pope has ever visited Ethiopia? The Globetrotter Popes have traveled to all countries but not to Ethiopia.

http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/news-details/international-commission-for-roman-catholic-and-oriental-orthodox-dialogue-meets-in-rome/

HERE YOU CAN SEE A RARE PICTURE OF COPTIC PATRIARCH JOHN (YOHANNES) VIII [1300-1320 AD]

http://copticliterature.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/a-rare-picture-of-coptic-patriarch-john-yohannes-viii-1300-1320-ad-%D8%B5%D9%88%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%AF%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D9%84%D9%84%D8%A3%D9%86%D8%A8%D8%A7-%D9%8A%D9%88%D8%A3%D9%86%D8%B3/

My dear Balthasar,Let me just say without going into too much unnecessary stuff, the sub-saharan Climate is quite warm, but I can guarantee you, were the Roman pontiff to show at present, the climate in Ethiopia will quickly descend into the likeness of the Arctic circle for many historical and religious reasons. I think they all know that, so until certain :to use their term"  act of reparation"  i.e. apology for the injustice done to Ethiopians is addressed and acknowledged  I do not think Any roman Pontiff will venture towards Ethiopia any time soon and even if he did the reception will be quite different than what he may be used to. Besides we know of no pope in Rome, that we can welcome as pope other than he that comes in the Name of the Lord from the Holy See of St. Mark. Beloved Shepherd of his flock and he alone blessed our country when he graced us with his blessed visit in the time favored by God as witnessed in heaven and earth. The Sunday of his visit, the one sign that I saw in 1991 during a fasting and prayer  called by the Church for peace and everyone was crying and scared there on the sky the sun was surrounded in a full circle around it by a vibrant rainbow on a driest season of the month no clouds in sight, in unseen ever before sign by the people,the sign of God's watchful presence over His people I will never forget that day , but imagine how delightful it was, when it is repeated when HH Pope Shenoda III visited Ethiopia. In Ethiopia we take these things very seriously,Glory be to God for what he allowed to happen within His Church. I am only sorry I was not there the second time to see it.

But like my brother Severian said,we will hope and pray for love and understanding to come out of these meetings.

I am fascinated about the iconography as well dear Mina, I strongly suspect its done out of imagination rather than an actual representation. the colors themselves are worn by Ethiopian monastics, the yellow representing the burial shroud of our Lord, the brown is to represent poverty and the death of the monk to the world. I have never seen the head gear on any clergy or monk as far as I can remember, but it might have some meaning to the painter. the five arrows seem to indicate the five pillars, but I can not say for sure.

Selam to all Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »

By the way...thank for for this website...It's really awesome.  The copticliterature website that is.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:47:19 AM »

Happy Timket (Epiphany) to all!

Thank you guys for your feedback. The image of the Pope is, indeed, fascinating.

Dear Hiwot, thanks as always for your wonderful thoughts. I also think, the 'Halo' around the Sun during Pope Shenudas' visit to Addis Abeba was indeed a powerful sign. When our Egyptian brothers let Ethiopian monks take care of the Deir al-Sultan monastery in Jerusalem, we might even witness miracles after miracles.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=15451.0

The circle does represent the eternal and everlasting love of God, and Jesus Christ's halo was commonly depicted with cross-based halo in the Coptic church.

Whenever I think of the Catholic church, critically, I always ask myself the following things:

1.The Roman Catholic Church is the earliest foreign Christian denomination which has been present as a church in Ethiopia. Since this early age there is no appreciable attempt from the Vatican to proselytize among Ethiopian Orthodox Christians – the opposite is true when it comes to Eastern European countries.

2.The Ethiopian Catholic church is close to the Ethiopian Orthodox church, sharing its traditional doctrine and liturgy, and celebrating the biggest Christian holidays according to the Orthodox calendar.

3.There are almost half a million Ethiopian Catholics. This number barely changed for hundreds of years. Why is that so?

4.The Ethiopian College is the only school still within the grounds of the Holy See/Vatican City

5.Why the Vatican is trying hard to befriend the Islamic world. (The 2nd Vatican Ecumenical Council). Pope John Paul ll kissing the Koran, Pope Benedict Xvl stating that he has a great respect for Islam...indeed, very hurting!

6.As the biggest and probably richest Christian church, the Vatican is doing almost nothing to spread Christian values through Mass Media (TV). Protestants do a lot better in this area. The Vatican's voice is mute when it comes to defending the persecuted Christian across the globe.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »

Not true. They have released statements asking for various imprisoned Christians to be freed. Also, Roman Catholics were the victim of one of the worst terrorist attacks on Christians in Baghdad last year, when dozens of people were shot to death by terrorists who stormed a church.

Maybe the reason Catholics in Ethiopia don't proselytize so much is because they get tired of Orthodox people calling it harassment or sheep-stealing.

Also, there's such a thing as being diplomatic. All the Muslims in the world are not going to just go away. He's going to have to talk to them sometime. So he did. Maybe you'd rather he went around waving a machine gun?

Turning the other cheek? Loving your enemies? Ever heard of those things?

You apparently have done no looking for Roman Catholic media, which is why you don't know about it. Vatican Radio has a number of stations, the EWTN cable network is based in the U.S. and there are Roman Catholic television and radio outlets around the world.

It's good to actually know something before you talk about it.

I keep wondering why I've tried for the past two years to become Orthodox. Maybe I shouldn't go where I'm not wanted.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My dear Balthasar,Let me just say without going into too much unnecessary stuff, the sub-saharan Climate is quite warm, but I can guarantee you, were the Roman pontiff to show at present, the climate in Ethiopia will quickly descend into the likeness of the Arctic circle for many historical and religious reasons. I think they all know that, so until certain :to use their term"  act of reparation"  i.e. apology for the injustice done to Ethiopians is addressed and acknowledged  I do not think Any roman Pontiff will venture towards Ethiopia any time soon and even if he did the reception will be quite different than what he may be used to. Besides we know of no pope in Rome, that we can welcome as pope other than he that comes in the Name of the Lord from the

But like my brother Severian said,we will hope and pray for love and understanding to come out of these meetings.

Amen Amen to this Smiley
How old is the picture itself?  Because then we can accurately find out from the date what Coptic bishops/patriarchs might have worn.  It could be a 16th Century painting, which may show only what 16th Century clerics might have worn, with an anachronistic depiction of a 13th Century patriarch.

OR

It could be what Ethiopian bishops/patriarchs have worn, where they might [mis]represent a Coptic patriarch in these clothes.

Nevertheless, a fascinating share.  Thank you!  If more and more icons/paintings of that time appear, maybe we might find out more about Medieval Coptic/Ethiopian clerical dressing.

It very well may be, it was during the reign of Emperor Zara Yacob in the 1440s that the Ethiopian clergy adopted the vestments decorated with floral patterns, before this time apparently they were blank, similar to that picture.  Aside from the text telling us that was an image from an Ethiopian manuscript, it is clearly in the Ethiopian style, however the Ethiopians were good at accurately depicting foreign culture and clothing in their images.

However, it is clear from looking (and also the website mentioned) that this image is from a 17th century manuscript, the style is way to advanced and realistic for 14th century Ethiopian art which was much more simplistic at that time.  So we can't be sure if it is an anachronism because it was clearly painted well after the fact.

Here is the evolution of style in Ethiopian art:

early 16th century

mid 17th century

I would then also say then that it will be hard just by looking at the image by itself to determine if the Ethiopian artists depicted the Coptic Pope in Ethiopian vestments or is a more true depiction of the Coptic style, or even if we can be sure that at this time there was any difference in the first place Smiley

By the way, analyzing obscure historic Ethiopian art? hands down MY FAVORITE THREAD of 2012
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:01:28 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »

I keep wondering why I've tried for the past two years to become Orthodox. Maybe I shouldn't go where I'm not wanted.

Com'on, Biro...all of Orthodoxy is not OC.net. I am ex-RC (quite recent, too), but thankfully have not had the bad experience of feeling unwanted in my new Church. I pray that you will find the same warm welcome wherever you are, which is no doubt friendlier than the internet. Smiley

Biro is right though, Balthazar. Some of those comments aren't so based in reality. While the American RC TV channel, EWTN, is very weak on Eastern or Oriental programing, there are other locally-based stations to reach the rest of the world, like Noursat/Tele Lumiere in Lebanon and surrounding regions. Through the internet there is even more, often connected to specific sui juris churches like Kaldu TV for the Chaldean Catholics. Some Catholic internet-based channels even broadcast Orthodox material on occasion. So they're not all bad.

And there are lots of aid organizations connected to the RC church, like CNEWA, which aims to help Christians in the Middle East, North Africa, India, and Eastern Europe. Aid to the Church in Need has a more worldwide focus, running humanitarian (refugee) aid and religious projects in places like Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Peru, Sri Lanka, etc.

No matter how you feel about the Roman Catholic Church (and I'm personally pretty negative about it, or else I never would have left), it just isn't true to say that they aren't doing things to reach people. Could they be doing more, and better? Yes, but I think the Orthodox Church could be too. We all could be and should be.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My dear Balthasar,Let me just say without going into too much unnecessary stuff, the sub-saharan Climate is quite warm, but I can guarantee you, were the Roman pontiff to show at present, the climate in Ethiopia will quickly descend into the likeness of the Arctic circle for many historical and religious reasons. I think they all know that, so until certain :to use their term"  act of reparation"  i.e. apology for the injustice done to Ethiopians is addressed and acknowledged  I do not think Any roman Pontiff will venture towards Ethiopia any time soon and even if he did the reception will be quite different than what he may be used to. Besides we know of no pope in Rome, that we can welcome as pope other than he that comes in the Name of the Lord from the

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I was not aware that the emperor’s diplomatic visit to Italy then to the Vatican was to proclaim and acknowledge the roman Pope as the Orthodox Pope of the Church in the same manner and equality of his Visit with that of the Egyptian Pope Saint Kyrillos VI. or are you trying to confuse what I said with a political and ecumenist acknowldgement of the title? Quite a twist of the meaning of my words there habte, quite unbecoming, but I must say not unexpected. The only Pope we Ethiopian Orthodox know of (recognize as being ours) is the Pope of Holy Alexandria! I do not know where you get the idea that, addressing the roman Pope by his title, or visiting him counts as recognition as Pope over our Church?

There was an ecumenist relation with the Vatican as an influential (especially politically) Christian power (even before the time of the Emperor) and will always be unless some drastic future event alters that. The emperor visited Rome the first time in 1923 when he was the crown prince and Regent, he met with King Victor Immanuel and Queen Helena, he even met Mussolini the then newly elected primer of Italy. There was even a diplomatic dance of giving the title of “ Cousin to the King of Italy” to the Emperor all this and more of the diplomatic juice flowing while the real plot to invade Ethiopia was underway behind the scene.
After the war and the atrocities committed against Ethiopians that were fully sanctioned and financed by the Vatican. The Italian government had invited the king as a sign of good will and restoration of peace between those two countries, the Emperor was doing a world tour in 1954 at that time and he went to Italy by that invitation where more diplomatic dance was danced. While in Italy he also visited the roman Pope and in very diplomatic words chastised him and remained him of the commandment of Love that especially should be witnessed by those who are followers of Christ. That Ethiopia has been tolerant of all religious practices and the Catholic faith is also tolerated in her land by the custom of tolerance as well as by the constitution of the country. That Ethiopians value peace, not only for themselves but for all humanity although the ego of men will wish to selfishly impose upon the rights of people to live freely and in peace , making bloodshed inevitable, but in the long run peace is the only way to live for all humans that are brothers as children of God.  His speech was historical in a sense when he said, we say this not because of the new opportunity we have found to speak in here today, but we have always back in our country thought this way. So the Italian diplomatic gesture of peace was graciously accepted in that the Emperor went to visit and reassert that Ethiopia is not as barbaric as they have portrayed her to be in the international political stage.
Having said all that,  in Ethiopia when it comes to what has been done by the decisions of Vatican  to over step the ecumenical boundaries during the reign of Susoneyus and what has lead the bloodiest religious civil war in Ethiopia. After the reign of Emperor Fasil, Ethiopia adopted a closed door policy because of how badly we were burned by the hidden political agendas of foreign delegations and missionaries. The bad seed that the Roman Jesuits sawed however will hunt Ethiopia for a long time to come plunging her into political and religious turmoil that was settled later on the time of Emperor Yohannes with the Victory of the Orthodox Faith. Of course then there is the battle of Adwa, new wound from the catholic Rome, even then Ethiopians were cordial to Vatican even though there was absolutely No trust involved, they just knew the international politics too well to play it right. Then comes, the Second World War, and the new invasion of Ethiopia  by Italy and this time usage of the then  forbidden WMD Mustered gas on Ethiopians horrific carnage followed. After the bitter five years of Italian occupation, and the resistance of the Ethiopian patriots Victory was achieved by the help of God that came in the form of the help of the British and the never wavering patriotic resistance together. The later reinstating of peaceful interaction between Italy and Ethiopia on the international political arena, does not however turn back time and what was done, from the memory of History. Ethiopians have learnt how the Vatican has used every opportunity to bring Ethiopia’s allegiance to Rome’s Pope throughout our historical interaction, that agenda has failed, but the cost of maintain the Orthodox Faith was great for Ethiopia.  There are many in Ethiopia who would welcome the pope of Rome if he were to come to Ethiopia as a head of the sovereign State of Vatican, as well as being the Roman Catholic Pope, however there are millions still who would demand the apology that is yet to come for what was done to Christian Ethiopia. Were the present roman pontiff to come without so much as acknowledging that issue, the Climate will be one of the Arctic Circle, by many who are Orthodox and none Orthodox Ethiopians who take such things seriously.  Yet that is an internal issue known to Ethiopians, when they think of the Vatican. So I will not dwell in it. I was just explaining that little twist and mutilation of my words by habte, when he cut off the full meaning of my words by cutting them off half sentence and pasting a political visit as the same as admission of Ethiopia’s papal allegiance to Rome. Like I said before, and this is no offence to all Catholics, as they know it to be the Truth, we Ethiopian Orthodox will not acknowledge the Roman pontiff as Pope as we simply do not acknowledge him to be Orthodox, it is as simple as that. In addition the Supremacy of any Pope over The Church is a foreign language to Orthodox, and we vehemently oppose it. The ecumenical interaction between Christians however, will continue in the hope to foster out understanding and mutual love.

Peace.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

Com'on, Biro...all of Orthodoxy is not OC.net. I am ex-RC (quite recent, too), but thankfully have not had the bad experience of feeling unwanted in my new Church. I pray that you will find the same warm welcome wherever you are, which is no doubt friendlier than the internet. Smiley

Biro is right though, Balthazar. Some of those comments aren't so based in reality. While the American RC TV channel, EWTN, is very weak on Eastern or Oriental programing, there are other locally-based stations to reach the rest of the world, like Noursat/Tele Lumiere in Lebanon and surrounding regions. Through the internet there is even more, often connected to specific sui juris churches like Kaldu TV for the Chaldean Catholics. Some Catholic internet-based channels even broadcast Orthodox material on occasion. So they're not all bad.

And there are lots of aid organizations connected to the RC church, like CNEWA, which aims to help Christians in the Middle East, North Africa, India, and Eastern Europe. Aid to the Church in Need has a more worldwide focus, running humanitarian (refugee) aid and religious projects in places like Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Peru, Sri Lanka, etc.

No matter how you feel about the Roman Catholic Church (and I'm personally pretty negative about it, or else I never would have left), it just isn't true to say that they aren't doing things to reach people. Could they be doing more, and better? Yes, but I think the Orthodox Church could be too. We all could be and should be.

yes! adding to the above, I would say, the Roman Catholic Church indeed is doing a lot of work in helping Christians around the world, especially in the  Middle East helping across different confessions than her own. Of course the humanitarian aid around the world is also the area where the Roman Catholic Church has been the most active in.

@Biro, I personally love Catholics, with certain understanding in place. Faith is personal, what we share in common is quite a lot and wonderful , so its very easy to love Catholics, and many do so, without agreeing with the entirety of the Faith. Christian Charity must first be practiced at home with Christians right? so we are brothers and sisters in Christ we worship. Kiss Smiley

@ baltazar, I would comment on the first and second points that you think of when you think of the issue at hand, but I think it would not be beneficial. I have mentioned few things related to the subject on the above reply where I discuss the historical interaction of Vatican and Ethiopia.you can see that things have not been so simple.

In Christ,
Hiwot.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »

My dear baltasar, I thought perhaps besides wiki, you might check out this also it has a very brief historical detail that you might find informative.  http://www.eotcmk.org/site-en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=1

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »

You are very much wanted.  And I know that here on OCnet you are very much appreciated.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »

Don't give up the struggle... wherever you end up, I think you'll do well in the life in Christ... but please don't let people dissuade you from going left or right in the fork in the road...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I was not aware that the emperor’s diplomatic visit to Italy then to the Vatican was to proclaim and acknowledge the roman Pope as the Orthodox Pope of the Church in the same manner and equality of his Visit with that of the Egyptian Pope Saint Kyrillos VI. or are you trying to confuse what I said with a political and ecumenist acknowldgement of the title? Quite a twist of the meaning of my words there habte, quite unbecoming, but I must say not unexpected. The only Pope we Ethiopian Orthodox know of (recognize as being ours) is the Pope of Holy Alexandria! I do not know where you get the idea that, addressing the roman Pope by his title, or visiting him counts as recognition as Pope over our Church?

Thank you for the lengthy discussion of that pertinent history, I always enjoy exchanging notes and learning new depths (seriously, not facetiously) Smiley

By the way, you did notice that I didn't say a word about your post, I just posted that picture?  I posted that picture merely to point out even immediately following the genocidal war the Italians waged against Ethiopia, HIM was willing to go the Vatican.  HIM is diplomatic, as you elaborated on quite nicely in your response to me.

You also seemed not to have noticed that I actually agreed with you there

Amen Amen to this Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:47:36 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Thank you for the lengthy discussion of that pertinent history, I always enjoy exchanging notes and learning new depths (seriously, not facetiously) Smiley

By the way, you did notice that I didn't say a word about your post, I just posted that picture?  I posted that picture merely to point out even immediately following the genocidal war the Italians waged against Ethiopia, HIM was willing to go the Vatican.  HIM is diplomatic, as you elaborated on quite nicely in your response to me.

You also seemed not to have noticed that I actually agreed with you there

Amen Amen to this Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

hmm, alright I will play along and will accept your explanation to posting the picture right after the previous qoute that stops midway of a full sentence. and yes we do agree on the wish for the favorable outcome of these meetings. thank you for explaining. Smiley

Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

Dear Biro, dear Djeremi,

You've probably misunderstood my thoughts. I have no evil thoughts on the Catholic church, I grew up in a Catholic atmosphere, I even go to the Catholic church for my individual prayers (The only Christian churches in my surrounding)

Well, it is not about me. But, fact is, both the Catholic and Orthodox churches are doing very little in the spheres of public relations and media. Both churches, and religious communities have to offer many rich, valuable and truthful things to the world. In a world where the alternative is requested and needed more than ever, the two churches, the Orthodox church, in particular, have a big role to play in feeling the gap, by teaching the ultimate truth about Christianity. What I want to say is, it's not enough to say, we have this and this media outlet, and the vast majority of the populace has no knowledge of it. Christianity a'int for the elite – is it?

I listen to the great  'Ancient Faith Radio”,I love it, but it's not about me, what about the vast majority of those who are thirsty of spiritual knowledge, who has neither the access nor the opportunity to tune into such stations? What is the problem for Orthodox/Catholic medias going mainstream? If two former drug-addicts from South Africa were able to open a famous protestant (almost mainstream) TV aka “God TV”, why not the churches who have more than two billion followers? If you go to the remotest village in Africa, you will find out that God TV” is mentioned in the same breath as the “BBC” or “CNN”.

I've followed the Catholic Network, “EWTN”, for almost 5 years. In fact, my very first post on this forum relates to it. I liked hearing the sermons of father John Corapi there. He was the only one who they had at the station. For a dubious reason, they have ceased to broadcast his videos. Besides having a a rather poor structure of programming,  technically speaking, the channel had a very poor sound output quality. All in all, they are doing very little when it comes to Media presence, very little!

Dear Hiwot, thanks for posting the useful link to the relevant information. I look forward to hearing your insight on the matter. I would also be glad if you could update us with some information from the current inter-religious conference in Addis.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »

You are very much wanted.  And I know that here on OCnet you are very much appreciated.

+1

And well said, Biro. The RCC has been very active in speaking up for ALL Christians suffering in the World, most especially those in the Middle East. 

As an immigrant to the US, I've seen first hand the kindess and good will the RCC has show the Coptic community here. Its something I'll never forget nor allow my children to forget.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Catholicinlove2013

Faith: Roman Catholic seeking to become Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Baltimore

Catholic insomuch I am Orthodox..Both Christian

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »

Hiwot,

Selamnaw.. I have to disagree on your premise that the Bishop of Rome would not be welcomed in a good way. I am actually a little surprised that as hospitable the Habesha people are that they would not show him the respect as a fellow Christian. Albeit the See of St. Mark, or St. Peter, or St. Andrew. Last I checked they ALL followed the orders of OUR LORD IYESUS. We ALL fail to understand one thing. WE ARE ALL JUDGED by GOD, and it is not about what church you go to..but how you chose to rejoice in the LORD. THIS Statement is from my wife, who is Ethiopian Orthodox.

I think that this is just the beginning..the the real change needs to come from within...not the politics, but from us..the Lay people to WANT to unite, and to give up our "Fortresses" that we are all so adamant to protect. I LOVE the RCC...But I also LOVE the EOC and the EOTC. I have come to know and see the things that bind us, and what separates us is not irrevocable!! Brothers..please..think..what is more important..the Unity of the ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC(or Universal) and Apostolic church? Or saving your church from being absorbed by another?

Hiwot..Geta Yibarkeh.. May the Lord be with you all..

"one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call..one Lord, one faith, one baptism..one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all" -Ephesians 4:4-6
Catholicinlove2013

Faith: Roman Catholic seeking to become Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Baltimore

Catholic insomuch I am Orthodox..Both Christian

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »

Balthasar,

I also listen to AFR and Catholic radio too...I am an advent listener of BOTH, but find that the AFR gives me more of the "i'm in  Sunday mass" kinda feeling! lol  Grin

"one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call..one Lord, one faith, one baptism..one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all" -Ephesians 4:4-6
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: