OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:53:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglo-Orthodox?  (Read 5420 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: January 17, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »

Question for you Protestants out there: Are any of you "Anglo-Orthodox"?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »

Historically, Eastern Orthodoxy shares many Anglican concerns about the Roman church such as the papacy, the use of statues ("graven images"), purgatory, works righteousness, clerical celibacy, and divorce. In fact, many Orthodox would agree that the 16th century Reformer's had legitimate complaints against the Roman church and its medieval system of works righteousness. The problem is that their reforms went too far-a sentiment shared by a number of Anglicans, especially Anglo- Catholics. Given these remarkable historical similarities, it is amazing that Orthodoxy is so unfamiliar to most Anglicans.

Since the Oxford Movement of the mid-nineteenth century, some sectors of Anglicanism have, by degrees, become more liturgical, sacramental, and incarnational in their theology. While this trajectory moves in tandem with Roman Catholic theology, it also runs parallel with the theology of the Eastern church.

- from "Anglo-Orthodoxy": Why some Episcopalians are turning to Eastern Orthodoxy for spiritual enlightenment

Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

I dont know if thats an official term but based on my "in between-ness" that may be an acceptable way to describe me.  I believe what Orthodoxy teaches, but have not made the conversion yet...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »

That is a good article you linked--and it describes me somewhat, but in reverse. 

I grew up Southern Baptist, but about 10 years ago I really started questioning my long held baptist beliefs, and I began looking to the early church for guidance after I started reading the claims of the RCC and the EOC.  I was particularly attracted to Orthodoxy and began reading several articles and books about the Church and started attending the Divine Liturgy when I could. After exploring the Eastern Orthodox Church for a few years, and being a catechumen for a month or so, I ended up landing in the Anglican Catholic Church, where I worshipped off/on for three years or so.  A year and a half ago, a new ACNA mission was started in my home town, so I have been going there (rather than driving an hour to the ACC parish) and am happily involved there.  I still have some strong Orthodox sympathies, but I'm a 'western Christian' at heart I guess, and I particularly love the richness of the Book of Common Prayer, the KJV Bible tradition, and classic western hymns. 

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »

That is a good article you linked--and it describes me somewhat, but in reverse. 

I grew up Southern Baptist, but about 10 years ago I really started questioning my long held baptist beliefs, and I began looking to the early church for guidance after I started reading the claims of the RCC and the EOC.  I was particularly attracted to Orthodoxy and began reading several articles and books about the Church and started attending the Divine Liturgy when I could. After exploring the Eastern Orthodox Church for a few years, and being a catechumen for a month or so, I ended up landing in the Anglican Catholic Church, where I worshipped off/on for three years or so.  A year and a half ago, a new ACNA mission was started in my home town, so I have been going there (rather than driving an hour to the ACC parish) and am happily involved there.  I still have some strong Orthodox sympathies, but I'm a 'western Christian' at heart I guess, and I particularly love the richness of the Book of Common Prayer, the KJV Bible tradition, and classic western hymns. 

What happened as a catechumen, if you don't mind me asking? 
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

What happened as a catechumen, if you don't mind me asking? 

Oh, nothing bad happened.  The Orthodox priest and the parish were very welcoming.  I had a couple of issues I just couldn't shake. 

First, my wife wasn't on board AT ALL.  She didn't like the Orthodox Liturgy, didn't like that I had to drive an hour to get there, and really didn't like that we were basically going to two different churches (these issues continued to be a problem when I went to the ACC parish too, but she could tolerate the service a LITTLE better).

Second, I had some theological issues. For one, I was at heart still a western Christian and I seemed to see a lot of western bashing among the Orthodox defenders on the internet and in some of the books I read.  I know Augustine, Aquinas, and Anselm aren't perfect, but I couldn't dismiss all of their insights either, much of which was very good and with which I agreed. I also saw not a few Othodox apologists give too little emphasis to the doctrines of justification and substitutionary atonement.  Granted, both of these have been overemphasized to the point of distortion among some groups in the West, but the doctrines themselves are biblical very important.  Finally, I couldn't believe that the Holy Spirit vanished from either side of the church in 1054 simply because Pope and  Patriarch excommunicated each other.  I know that may be an extreme way of putting it, but this is often the impression I got from BOTH of the 'One True Churches'.  Cool

So I am happily Anglican.  I don't pretend however Anglicans don't have problems of their own, but I enjoy being reformed catholic, patristically protestant, and western orthodoxGrin

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »

I also saw not a few Othodox apologists give too little emphasis to the doctrines of justification and substitutionary atonement.  Granted, both of these have been overemphasized to the point of distortion among some groups in the West, but the doctrines themselves are biblical very important. 
Can't be that important, as the Bible doesn't teach it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

Hello Peter,

Thanks for including article link.

This is an interesting question for me. As I am not Anglican the short answer obviously is no. That still leaves the question however...

I grew up Presbyterian though today I respectfully reject Calvinism. I stepped so far away from God in my teenage years I have spent most of my adult life wondering in darkness to be honest. I came back to Christ (glory be to God) in a Church of the Nazarene. Looking back I would have to say it was a bit of a watered down version of Truth but perhaps what I needed at that time -idk- Several years ago I was exposed to Orthodoxy and today hold a profound respect and reverence to the Truth and Understanding I have received. (primarily via Orthodox sermons on line to which my wife and I still often listen to) For the last couple of years I have been blessed to be led and pray at a small, humble, independent Church that is firmly Wesleyan-Arminian in doctrine and fairly traditional in worship. Protestant 'western' traditional that is Wink The similarities in theology, interpretation of scripture, and deliverance of God's Word is notable if not overwhelming when compared to the differences between this Church and what I have learned from Orthodoxy. The 'worship style' is of course completely different. In that way the article you included applies to some extent; I am drawn to the consistant and fundamental Truth in Orthodox theology, yet seem to be more comfortable with the western Protestant style of worship. Much of this may be out of ignorance on my part as I have yet to visit an Orthodox Church. There are also some Theological and Dogmatic differences that incline me to Protestantism though some of that may be out of my ignorance as well.

Does that make me a Wesleyan-Armanian-Orthodox? lol (Just kidding!)

I am not Orthodox, nor Catholic, so I would be considered Protestant I guess. Until your post I have not given too much thought about what others, or even how I would classify myself. My concerns are of a theological nature. A repenting sinner, in a broken world, seeking the fundamental Truth so that I may continue to 'get to know my maker'. To let self die that I may live in Christ. However, or wherever, The Holy Spirit reveals such fundamental Truth is of little concern to me at this point other than exercising caution to not be misled or deceived. Make sence? 

In my quest for Christ,

Scott

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

Timon, Doubting Thomas, and alanscott, I've greatly enjoyed reading your thoughts on this matter.

Alanscott, your "As I am not Anglican the short answer obviously is no" is a pretty good description of me as well.  Wink

Does that make me a Wesleyan-Arminian-Orthodox? lol (Just kidding!)

You strike me more as an Arminian Weslo-Catholic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:12:05 PM by Peter J » Logged

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »

I also saw not a few Othodox apologists give too little emphasis to the doctrines of justification and substitutionary atonement.  Granted, both of these have been overemphasized to the point of distortion among some groups in the West, but the doctrines themselves are biblical very important.

Try reading it again--particularly Isaiah 53 and Paul's epistles  Grin

In all seriousness, please note that although I pointed out these doctrines (justifiction and substitutionary atonement) are biblical and important, I did acknowledge a distinction between the biblical doctrines and the distortions of the same one may encounter in various modern Christian groups.  I have often noted that in (rightfully) reacting to the distorions of these doctrines, some Orthodox apologists seem to disclaim that these these doctrines are biblical at all.  (Thankfully, though, I have also encountered some Orthodox who do acknowlege a substitionary atonement and that Paul did in fact teach about justification.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:29:09 PM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »

So I am happily Anglican.  I don't pretend however Anglicans don't have problems of their own, but I enjoy being reformed catholic, patristically protestant, and western orthodoxGrin

I'm a little surprised that you haven't gotten any angry, or sassy, or whatever, replies from Orthodox posters for describing yourself as "western orthodox".

Shocked

I know we Catholics wouldn't take it too well if you called yourself "eastern catholic".

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »

I also saw not a few Othodox apologists give too little emphasis to the doctrines of justification and substitutionary atonement.  Granted, both of these have been overemphasized to the point of distortion among some groups in the West, but the doctrines themselves are biblical very important.

In all seriousness, please note that although I pointed out these doctrines (justifiction and substitutionary atonement) are biblical and important, I did acknowledge a distinction between the biblical doctrines and the distortions of the same one may encounter in various modern Christian groups.  I have often noted that in (rightfully) reacting to the distorions of these doctrines, some Orthodox apologists seem to disclaim that these these doctrines are biblical at all.  (Thankfully, though, I have also encountered some Orthodox who do acknowlege a substitionary atonement and that Paul did in fact teach about justification.)
The dogma of substitutionary atonement requires Christ to die instead of us, instead of dying for us.  Neither Isaiah nor St. Paul preached any such thing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »

In all seriousness, please note that although I pointed out these doctrines (justifiction and substitutionary atonement) are biblical and important, I did acknowledge a distinction between the biblical doctrines and the distortions of the same one may encounter in various modern Christian groups.  I have often noted that in (rightfully) reacting to the distorions of these doctrines, some Orthodox apologists seem to disclaim that these these doctrines are biblical at all.  (Thankfully, though, I have also encountered some Orthodox who do acknowlege a substitionary atonement and that Paul did in fact teach about justification.)
The dogma of substitutionary atonement requires Christ to die instead of us, instead of dying for us.  Neither Isaiah nor St. Paul preached any such thing.

I'm not sure whose 'dogma' you are talking about, but by 'substitutionary atonement' I merely mean what the Scriptures say:

"5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all."

"8 He was taken from prison and from judgment, And who will declare His generation? For He was cut off from the land of the living; For the transgressions of My people He was stricken."

"10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days, And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand. 11 He shall see the labor of His soul,  and be satisfied. By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many, For He shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, And He shall divide the spoil with the strong, Because He poured out His soul unto death, And He was numbered with the transgressors, And He bore the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors."  --from Isaiah 53

"24 but also for us. It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25 who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification." --Romans 4:24-25

"21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." --2 Corinthians 5

" 24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed. "  --1 Peter 2:24

"18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us  to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit" --1 Peter 3:18

This is what I mean by 'substitutionary atonement'.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:44:19 PM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »

I'm a little surprised that you haven't gotten any angry, or sassy, or whatever, replies from Orthodox posters for describing yourself as "western orthodox".

Shocked

I know we Catholics wouldn't take it too well if you called yourself "eastern catholic".

Ah well, Orthodoxy never ceases to surprise. I guess I should be used to it by now. :thoughtful:

EasternAnglicanism

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Anglican Communion

AngloOrthodox
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »

I regularly identify as "Anglo-Orthodox" and am one of the co-founders of the forthcoming Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism (http://www.easternanglicanism.org)
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:59 AM »

Eastern Rite Anglicanism....

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:11:30 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »

I'll add that that church not only has among the worst iconographic schlock I've ever seen, but throws elements of Coptic liturgical custom into their "eclectic" worship service (I refuse to dignify it with the name liturgy). A gross insult to all whose venerable liturgical traditions have been raided.  Tongue Roll Eyes
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »

John Mason Neale, the translator of (among others) 'O Come, O Come, Emmanuel', was the founder of the Anglican and Eastern Churches Association in 1864. I don't know if we have any members here, but since the organisation still exists, I'm sure there are Anglo-Orthodox out there.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

I'll add that that church not only has among the worst iconographic schlock I've ever seen, but throws elements of Coptic liturgical custom into their "eclectic" worship service (I refuse to dignify it with the name liturgy). A gross insult to all whose venerable liturgical traditions have been raided.  Tongue Roll Eyes

And Ethiopian, as far as I could see.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »

ACK!!! My eyes, my eyes!  I wish there was a way that I could unsee that.  What horrid religious building is that from?  (I can't even call it a church, I just can't.)

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »

ACK!!! My eyes, my eyes!  I wish there was a way that I could unsee that.  What horrid religious building is that from?  (I can't even call it a church, I just can't.)

It's the Episcopalian church of St Gregory of Nyssa in San Francisco. What you saw is but a fraction of the "iconographic" abominations on the walls within. Here's their site: http://www.saintgregorys.org/

And here's their "Dancing Jesus". Yep, that's what he's called by those involved with that church:

Shameful and appalling.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:22:02 AM by LBK » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »

Ick. I looked at the website. The outside of the building looks nice, then it just goes downhill.  The "icons" of the "saints" are hideous!  How could someone feel comfortable worshiping there in the midst of sacrilege?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »

I don't want to insult anybody, but I can't look at that fresco without thinking about the danse macabre.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:34:04 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »

Ick. I looked at the website. The outside of the building looks nice, then it just goes downhill.  The "icons" of the "saints" are hideous!  How could someone feel comfortable worshiping there in the midst of sacrilege?

The great tragedy is neither the artist who painted these murals, nor the folks who worship there, see it as sacrilege. I have the artist's spiels on each of the figures he has painted on file. Nauseating.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »

For some reason Luther and Gandhi in iconographical-ish style dancing looks funny. It's still distasteful, though.

On a OC.net diet.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

For some reason Luther and Gandhi in iconographical-ish style dancing looks funny. It's still distasteful, though.

Try Lady Godiva and her horse, Ella Fitzgerald, Anne Frank, Martha Graham (dancer and modern dance choreographer), Malcolm X and Eleanor Roosevelt.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »

Does the horse have a halo?  Tongue

On a OC.net diet.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »

The great tragedy is neither the artist who painted these murals, nor the folks who worship there, see it as sacrilege. I have the artist's spiels on each of the figures he has painted on file. Nauseating.

I attended a Rachmaninoff Vigil concert there a number of years ago.  Yes, SCAAAA-RYYYY!

I sang the Bach B minor mass with their choir director (he was another tenor - not the director) last fall.  Well meaning and nice people, but obviously misguided when it comes to these things.  All we can do is pray that they will be enlightened.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

Shameful and appalling.

Now that's a horrible way to talk about Yanni!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:09 PM »

Does the horse have a halo?  Tongue

No. Neither does St Seraphim of Sarov's bear, nor Sadi's (medieval Sufi poet) tiger. Not that it would make much difference.  Wink
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »

Shameful and appalling.

Now that's a horrible way to talk about Yanni!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh ... but where's his piano?

You almost owed me a new laptop.  laugh
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:25:22 PM by LBK » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

Pagan mathematician and philosopher who drew pupils from throughout the Greek world, Christian and pagan. Cyril, Archbishop of Alexandria, perceived her as a threat to the Church, and she was martyred at the hands of Christian monks. As Christian humanists, we honor Hypatia’s learning and courage, holding her as a witness to intellectual curiosity and honest inquiry, which are closer to God than the angry certainties of fundamentalism.

For one, I'm pretty sure her death was more politically-driven in nature. And second, venerating someone in icon form just to push an anti-fundamentalist ideology?

Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:28:35 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »

She looked much hotter in Agora

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
EasternAnglicanism

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Anglican Communion

AngloOrthodox
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 02:17:05 PM »

By, Eastern Rite Anglicanism, I am not talking about the unorthodox icons at St. Gregory's. They aren't trying to be orthodox or do Eastern Rite. I am talking about something more along these lines, including the Liturgy of Preparation (Proskimidia), which we celebrated at the Episcopal seminary where I attained my MDiv:

etc. etc. all the way through the Divine Liturgy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »

I regularly identify as "Anglo-Orthodox" and am one of the co-founders of the forthcoming Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism (http://www.easternanglicanism.org)

Like them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Thoma_Syrian_Church
?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »

By, Eastern Rite Anglicanism, I am not talking about the unorthodox icons at St. Gregory's. They aren't trying to be orthodox or do Eastern Rite. I am talking about something more along these lines, including the Liturgy of Preparation (Proskimidia), which we celebrated at the Episcopal seminary where I attained my MDiv:

etc. etc. all the way through the Divine Liturgy.

Do you use Byzantine Vestments as well?
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

Looks like the conga line.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »

Like them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Thoma_Syrian_Church
?

The "Mar Thoma" Church was founded by a rogue Orthodox Priest who wormed his way into the Episcopacy before starting his "reformation". This just looks like disaffected Anglicans LARPing harder than a Civil War Re-enactment.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

ACK!!! My eyes, my eyes!  I wish there was a way that I could unsee that.  What horrid religious building is that from?  (I can't even call it a church, I just can't.)

It's the Episcopalian church of St Gregory of Nyssa in San Francisco. What you saw is but a fraction of the "iconographic" abominations on the walls within. Here's their site: http://www.saintgregorys.org/

By, Eastern Rite Anglicanism, I am not talking about the unorthodox icons at St. Gregory's. They aren't trying to be orthodox or do Eastern Rite.

I was just going to ask if St. Gregory's calls itself "Anglo-Orthodox", but I see you already answered that question.

But (at the risk of speaking in ignorance) as far as the other part of your statement ("They aren't trying to ... do Eastern Rite"), it strikes that they are at least trying to make themselves seem Eastern or Eastern-ish. (I'm basing that on their website.)

Hmmm...

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »

I don't know much about it but Smiley.

I notice that website says "Coming Soon". I can't promise that I'll keep checking it, but perhaps you could make an announcement here when it comes.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

By, Eastern Rite Anglicanism, I am not talking about the unorthodox icons at St. Gregory's. They aren't trying to be orthodox or do Eastern Rite.

I was just going to ask if St. Gregory's calls itself "Anglo-Orthodox", but I see you already answered that question.

But (at the risk of speaking in ignorance) as far as the other part of your statement ("They aren't trying to ... do Eastern Rite"), it strikes that they are at least trying to make themselves seem Eastern or Eastern-ish. (I'm basing that on their website.)

Hmmm...

As I posted before, I have been inside St. Gregory's for a concert.  I don't think there is any doubt that they are intentionally trying to be "Eastern Rite Episcopalian".  Sure, we don't like them more or less "mocking" our icons, but again, they are not part of us.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »

St. Seraphim of Sarov, Gandhi... Mr Rogers?
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »

Is it really possible to have an Eastern Rite in the Anglican Communion? I thought that, despite diversity, the single common denominator was the Book of Common Prayer?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Is that Mr. Rogers? 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »

"Dancing with the saints" also from their website.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: