OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglo-Orthodox?  (Read 5556 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2013, 06:13:32 AM »

Sorry, I should have specified that I was talking about diminutives in Arabic (Taw for Tawadros, not Teddy for Theodore). I don't know anything about diminutives in Arabic, though I feel like I probably should. Embarrassed

LARPing?

Wink

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »

What is the point of "Eastern Rite Anglicanism"? 
My thoughts exactly.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »

I could have sworn there was some sort of rule about having to use titles.......  police

Only when they're real.

Well, last I heard, Katharine Jefferts Schori is a real person in a real leadership position in a real religious organization.  We can disagree on whether it is a "Church", whether she is a "bishop", or any number of things, but why be needlessly snarky?  Smiley 

You must be new to the internet.

Actually, before the internet began, I already was. And people acted badly back then too. But if I am expected to use titles for every schismatic out there, it is right and proper that you do the same for my clergy. Next time, I'm going to object to the management.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »

I lump Kathy Schori, Mary Baker Eddy, Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs in the same category. Looney religious weirdos that I don't have the time to figure out what their "titles" might be.  Although, Kathy hasn't molested children (that I know of anyways), so I guess she is a step ahead of Jeffs.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »

I lump Kathy Schori, Mary Baker Eddy, Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs in the same category. Looney religious weirdos that I don't have the time to figure out what their "titles" might be.  Although, Kathy hasn't molested children (that I know of anyways), so I guess she is a step ahead of Jeffs.
It's hardly fair to lump the former three with Jeffs.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

Well, comparison to Jeffs is a bit incindiary.  I didn't not mean to compare them on a behavioral level.  More of a legitimacy level.  I see Schori's group of churches having the same element of truth as CS, LDS and FLDS. i.e. not very much.

Keble
Archon

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »

....which is surely why we recite the creed every Sunday, and they do not.  Roll Eyes
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »

....which is surely why we recite the creed every Sunday, and they do not.  Roll Eyes

...now if only she would follow the Tradition that the Creed came from.  Roll Eyes

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

More of a legitimacy level.  I see Schori's group of churches having the same element of truth as CS, LDS and FLDS. i.e. not very much.
I'll readily say that the EC-USA has fallen a long way in the last 30 or 40 years (and I sympathize with both the ACNA, which recently "saw the light", and the Continuing Anglicans who did so decades ago) but these comparisons ^^ seem to me little more than childish name calling.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »

More of a legitimacy level.  I see Schori's group of churches having the same element of truth as CS, LDS and FLDS. i.e. not very much.
I'll readily say that the EC-USA has fallen a long way in the last 30 or 40 years (and I sympathize with both the ACNA, which recently "saw the light", and the Continuing Anglicans who did so decades ago) but these comparisons ^^ seem to me little more than childish name calling.

Well, we are certainly all entitled to our own opinion.  For the record, I did not call anyone names.  But the doctrinal direction of the EC is moving as far into heresy as the LDS, just on different points.  At least they don't believe that God lives on Kolob.  Cheesy

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:44 AM »

I am reviewing the issue of clerical titles and how to apply our rules to the violations I've seen on this thread. Do be aware, however, that this forum does expect that every one of us show respect for clergy, even the female bishops of a church the majority of us deem to be heretical, by using the titles appropriate to their office. That means that we are each required to refer to Bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori as at least Bishop Katherine, NOT as Kathy or Kitty or whatever disrespectful name you might have for her. Thanks.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »

I am reviewing the issue of clerical titles and how to apply our rules to the violations I've seen on this thread. Do be aware, however, that this forum does expect that every one of us show respect for clergy, even the female bishops of a church the majority of us deem to be heretical, by using the titles appropriate to their office. That means that we are each required to refer to Bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori as at least Bishop Katherine, NOT as Kathy or Kitty or whatever disrespectful name you might have for her. Thanks.
How's Dr. Schori? No problems there? Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »

PP

How about Katherine of Nevada?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »

PP

PP

How about Katherine of Nevada?

If you have any questions about what titles to use, I ask that you bring them to me via private message so we can keep from derailing this thread. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:17:16 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

As you wish Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

So, as I was saying, Bishop Dr. Katharine Jefferts Schori, 26th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church of America and Primate of the Anglican Communion, is one step above President and Prophet, Seer and Revelator Warren Jeffs, President of the Priesthood of the Fundamentalism Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in that she has not, at least to our knowledge, molested any small children.

She does, however, bear a striking resemblance to the bishop in the Princess Bride.

Now THIS was a bit below the belt perhaps.  laugh
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:08:44 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »

A good question, though we should remember when bringing up distinctions of East/West that there are plenty of places that are geographically Western but definitely have their roots in Eastern praxis in one way or another. Mozarabic chant and iconography comes to mind, and there are even some very traditional Protestants who preserve chant styles that bring to mind non-Chalcedonian Orthodox forms that I'm fairly confident never made it as far as the Outer Hebrides! (I'm thinking this Gaelic chanting would be more at home with the Tewahedo than any Anglican, "Eastern" or otherwise.)

Wow, it sounds almost exactly like an Ethiopian Liturgy! How is that possible?

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »

A poster referred to HH as "Taw" recently, if I recall correctly. Seems right to me, given its correspondence to "Theo" (Tawadros = Theodore). Don't know if that's a standard diminutive form, though.

You just take the first or second consonent, whichever sounds better & if neither does just make one up, & double it. Susu, Mimi, Kiki, Juju, Marmar, Foofoo. I guess he'd be "Tutu" Cheesy

I have a friend named Dina, who's parents always called "Doodoo" growing up- obviously not knowing what its understood for in English.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »

She does, however, bear a striking resemblance to the bishop in the Princess Bride.

Now THIS was a bit below the belt perhaps.  laugh

That it is, but he probably got used to people making fun of him a long time ago.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »

Mohammed is the missing link.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:31 PM »

People need to get over posting pics from Saint Gregory of Nyssa. They aren't trying to be Orthodox and more than Br. Robert Lentz (https://www.trinitystores.com/store/artist/Robert-Lentz) is trying to make Orthodox icons...meaning, they aren't.

In terms of those of us who truly identify as Anglo-Orthodox or Eastern Rite Anglicans, these postmodern pseudo-Orthodox icons don't represent us.

In terms of my previous "Not true" comment it had to do with all bets being off for Eastern Rite Anglicansim. Basically, it will depend upon bishops aligning their dioceses with the mission of the Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism. We will have options available for individuals to join as members, but also for dioceses, congregations, and communities to join as affiliates. By a diocese becoming an affiliate they will support their congregations in using the Eastern Rites. It is entirely feasible.

People in the Church tend to get upset when people outside the Church co-opt the Church's treasures as if they had a right.

You mean like when [Roman-Rite] Catholics have the eucharist?

Oh, like in Lanciano?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2013, 03:45:09 AM »

....which is surely why we recite the creed every Sunday, and they do not.

Is it the one from Constantinople 381?

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:55 AM »

People in the Church tend to get upset when people outside the Church co-opt the Church's treasures as if they had a right.

You mean like when [Roman-Rite] Catholics have the eucharist?

Oh, like in Lanciano?

Well, sure, and everywhere else they have the Eucharist ... are they "co-opt[ing] the Church's treasures as if they had a right"?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2013, 06:56:20 AM »

This image hurts my eyes.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

There is alot that hurts my eyes about this image.
PP

Gregory the Great

Keble
Archon

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »

It was not exactly a favorite in Anglican Land either.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:34 PM »

I have a question, but there's no real nice way of asking it, and that makes me feel bad because I really don't want to poke fun.  Why does she (and other clergy) wear such vestments? 

There seems to be a tendency in Western churches to simplify vestments, and that's fine (you don't have to raid all the brocade from Lalame LIKE SOME PEOPLE Smiley), but it can still be done with good taste.  Why does tackiness (or worse) seem so appealing?  RC bishops do this sort of thing too, but it always seems to be a little worse on the Episcopalian side.  RC's will also use nice vestments, or at least OK vestments, and I'm sure Episcopalians must have them too, but where are they?  No offence, but I would've thought women clergy would have a better fashion sense.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »

Even among the "Episcopalian" part? Or just among other Anglican provinces?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »

I have a question, but there's no real nice way of asking it, and that makes me feel bad because I really don't want to poke fun.  Why does she (and other clergy) wear such vestments? 

There seems to be a tendency in Western churches to simplify vestments, and that's fine (you don't have to raid all the brocade from Lalame LIKE SOME PEOPLE Smiley), but it can still be done with good taste.  Why does tackiness (or worse) seem so appealing?  RC bishops do this sort of thing too, but it always seems to be a little worse on the Episcopalian side.  RC's will also use nice vestments, or at least OK vestments, and I'm sure Episcopalians must have them too, but where are they?  No offence, but I would've thought women clergy would have a better fashion sense.     

My priest always wears very nice vestments, that are not at all tacky.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »

Well, their Church is laughable, so why not their vestments?

PP

Gregory the Great

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »

My priest always wears very nice vestments, that are not at all tacky.

Maybe s/he should be a bishop.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »

Well, their Church is laughable, so why not their vestments?

PP

Yeah, The Episcopal Church used to be all style and no substance.  Now they don't even have style.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »

There is alot that hurts my eyes about this image.
PP

Who needs arguments against female bishops when you have that photo?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:13:57 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Giuseppe Verdi
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »

Well, here is a male priest rocking it in an interesting manner.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »

Well, here is a male priest rocking it in an interesting manner.

The Bishop of Tetris?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »

That cross. That "mitre". Ugh.

-Giuseppe Verdi
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

And just so we aren't just picking on Episcopalians, here is a Lutheran rosary (?) celebrating the "femininity of Christ"

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:35:18 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »

And just so we aren't just picking on Episcopalians, here is a Lutheran rosary (?) celebrating the "femininity of Christ"

My Pagan friends would die laughing.

The tiger's eye is nice, though.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

The Her Church movement, right?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »

Yep.  If you want to see a true assault to one's eyes, go to their website.  Worst webpage design ever.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »

Yep.  If you want to see a true assault to one's eyes, go to their website.  Worst webpage design ever.

Unfortunately, my eyes have already been assaulted once to know that.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

At what? The whole neo-Pagan movement is almost entirely kitsch of this order.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

Mostly at the attempt at co-opting the goddess image (the pendant) into Christianity, and with an idea like 'the femininity of Christ' (lolwut?), at that.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »

Oh, so that's what a Lutheran rosary looks like. I'm kidding of course, but I can image a lot of Catholics, that want to be ecumenical but aren't very knowledgeable of other groups, saying that.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »

Mostly at the attempt at co-opting the goddess image (the pendant) into Christianity, and with an idea like 'the femininity of Christ' (lolwut?), at that.

I think they "co-opt" more than just the image.

Hail Goddess full of grace.

Blessed are you
  and blessed are all the fruits
  of your womb.

For you are the MOTHER of us all.
   Hear us now
  and in all our needs.

O blessed be, O blessed be.  Amen

(adapted from Carol Christ)

From their Goddess Rosary page. They really go all out with the goddess stuff.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: