OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 03:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglo-Orthodox?  (Read 5520 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »

Is it really possible to have an Eastern Rite in the Anglican Communion? I thought that, despite diversity, the single common denominator was the Book of Common Prayer?

That could be the case for some churches in the Anglican Communion, but we're talking about the EC-USA here. It's kind of an "all bets are off" situation.

But frankly I find it curious, the uproar here over that parish (St Gregory). I'm not denying that it's bad, but I imagine there are plenty of Western parishes in the EC-USA that are as bad or worse.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
EasternAnglicanism

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Anglican Communion

AngloOrthodox
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »

Question for you Protestants out there: Are any of you "Anglo-Orthodox"?

I regularly identify as "Anglo-Orthodox" and am one of the co-founders of the forthcoming Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism (http://www.easternanglicanism.org)

Like them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Thoma_Syrian_Church
?

Mar Thoma is not Byzantine Rite. I am talking about the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom.
EasternAnglicanism

AngloOrthodox
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 01:39:31 AM »

Is it really possible to have an Eastern Rite in the Anglican Communion? I thought that, despite diversity, the single common denominator was the Book of Common Prayer?

That's the question that people are exploring in the Society. You can visit our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EasternAnglicanism/.

Here's a Byzantine Vespers Service we recently did at my parish, Saint Giles Episcopal Church:
http://vimeo.com/55999155
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 02:59:33 AM »

That could be the case for some churches in the Anglican Communion, but we're talking about the EC-USA here. It's kind of an "all bets are off" situation.

But frankly I find it curious, the uproar here over that parish (St Gregory). I'm not denying that it's bad, but I imagine there are plenty of Western parishes in the EC-USA that are as bad or worse.

Just so you know, the state of the liturgy varies from diocese to diocese based upon the bishop.  For instance, the bishop of the Diocese of Arizona has made it a point of great importance that his parishes stick to the Book of Common Prayer.

Other bishops permit things like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Service_Book to be used for services.  But in very few cases is it the case that "all bets are off."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
EasternAnglicanism

AngloOrthodox
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »

Just so you know, the state of the liturgy varies from diocese to diocese based upon the bishop.  For instance, the bishop of the Diocese of Arizona has made it a point of great importance that his parishes stick to the Book of Common Prayer.

Other bishops permit things like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Service_Book to be used for services.  But in very few cases is it the case that "all bets are off."

Not true. The liturgies from Enriching Our Worship (EOW), a very postmodern "inclusive" liturgical resource, are gaining popularity. Also, the BCP offers "An Order for Celebrating the Holy Eucharist" (BCP pages 400-401), commonly called Rite III, that could be used to create an Eastern Rite. It just cannot be used for the principal Sunday service.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »

Well, I guess I didn't really mean "all bets are off" ... if we tried, we could undoubtedly find churches even more liberal than the EC-USA.

And, of course, I don't deny that there are some conservatives who stay in the EC-USA -- although I'm not sure whether to call them heroic or just foolish.  Embarrassed

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »

I regularly identify as "Anglo-Orthodox" and am one of the co-founders of the forthcoming Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism (http://www.easternanglicanism.org)

Like them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Thoma_Syrian_Church
?

Technically there aren't in the Anglican Communion, although they are in full communion with it (as are the Old Catholic (Union of Utrecht) churches).

So I guess you could call them "Eastern Non-Byzantine Non-Anglican Christians In Communion With Anglicanism".  Cool

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »

Not true. The liturgies from Enriching Our Worship (EOW), a very postmodern "inclusive" liturgical resource, are gaining popularity. Also, the BCP offers "An Order for Celebrating the Holy Eucharist" (BCP pages 400-401), commonly called Rite III, that could be used to create an Eastern Rite. It just cannot be used for the principal Sunday service.

I don't think EoW is that popular. It's pushed heavily by high-profile heretics but I've rarely come across its use in a parish, though some of its quirks are commonly applied to the BCP rites in liberal areas. Also, the currently constituted Standing Committee on Liturgy and Music is rather adverse to it; there was a lot of pushback against the last products of the old SCLM.

Rite III is really just the most bareboned skeleton of the 1979 Eucharistic order. Perhaps it could be claimed to cover a Byzantine rite, but when I look at it I see something headed in the complete opposite direction.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »

Which part of what I said isn't true? 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »

Eastern Rite Anglicanism....

What is that, the wall of some temple to Satan?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 02:35:57 AM »

Looks like the conga line.
Did you see that it was on the bumper of the car the Boston bombers were in?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:36:33 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 02:38:09 AM »

"Dancing with the saints" also from their website.

No doubt they have the "Lord of the Dance" front and center.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 02:57:33 AM »

Cool, Byzantine liturgy without all those pesky teachings about homosexuality and the like.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 04:09:06 AM »

"Dancing with the saints" also from their website.

No doubt they have the "Lord of the Dance" front and center.

They do have one, the Dancing Jesus I posted earlier. Though they'd probably like the other one, too ....  Tongue Tongue Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:09:22 AM by LBK » Logged
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:46 AM »

As far as I know the ECUSA, I am sure there would be a way to accomodate an Eastern rite, either in an existing parish, on an experimental base in addition to the main service (if the rector and the vestry of that parish agree) or even creating a special ministry in a diocese with a status different from a regular parish. In that case, it would depend on the bishop.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »

As far as I know the ECUSA, I am sure there would be a way to accomodate an Eastern rite, either in an existing parish, on an experimental base in addition to the main service (if the rector and the vestry of that parish agree) or even creating a special ministry in a diocese with a status different from a regular parish. In that case, it would depend on the bishop.
So I guess Bishop Katherine would grow a beard then?

PP

Name replaced with something more in line with the rules of the forum  -PtA

Regarding titles for clergy

3. Any person who is a clergyman of a group not listed in #1 can either be referred to by their official clerical title, or by a corresponding title appropriate with their position; however, this must be done without pejorative, maintaining a minimal state of decorum.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:36:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Keble
Archon

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »

So I guess Kathy would grow a beard then?

PP

Who's Kathy?
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »

Kind of disappointed that the bear didn't manage to get canonized. Must have been those last-minute people that he ate.
EasternAnglicanism

AngloOrthodox
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »

People need to get over posting pics from Saint Gregory of Nyssa. They aren't trying to be Orthodox and more than Br. Robert Lentz (https://www.trinitystores.com/store/artist/Robert-Lentz) is trying to make Orthodox icons...meaning, they aren't.

In terms of those of us who truly identify as Anglo-Orthodox or Eastern Rite Anglicans, these postmodern pseudo-Orthodox icons don't represent us.

In terms of my previous "Not true" comment it had to do with all bets being off for Eastern Rite Anglicansim. Basically, it will depend upon bishops aligning their dioceses with the mission of the Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism. We will have options available for individuals to join as members, but also for dioceses, congregations, and communities to join as affiliates. By a diocese becoming an affiliate they will support their congregations in using the Eastern Rites. It is entirely feasible.

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

People need to get over posting pics from Saint Gregory of Nyssa. They aren't trying to be Orthodox and more than Br. Robert Lentz (https://www.trinitystores.com/store/artist/Robert-Lentz) is trying to make Orthodox icons...meaning, they aren't.

In terms of those of us who truly identify as Anglo-Orthodox or Eastern Rite Anglicans, these postmodern pseudo-Orthodox icons don't represent us.

In terms of my previous "Not true" comment it had to do with all bets being off for Eastern Rite Anglicansim. Basically, it will depend upon bishops aligning their dioceses with the mission of the Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism. We will have options available for individuals to join as members, but also for dioceses, congregations, and communities to join as affiliates. By a diocese becoming an affiliate they will support their congregations in using the Eastern Rites. It is entirely feasible.

Apologies for my contributions. I really don't think that those images represented Eastern Rite Anglicans. I just find bears in any non-violent context to be funny.  Lips Sealed
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »

Ick. I looked at the website. The outside of the building looks nice, then it just goes downhill.  The "icons" of the "saints" are hideous!  How could someone feel comfortable worshiping there in the midst of sacrilege?

You have to accept certain other kinds of sacrilege to accept the pictures and the people on the walls.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »

Does the horse have a halo?  Tongue

St. Seraphim's bear doesn't have one, which I think is just appalling.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »

Shameful and appalling.

Now that's a horrible way to talk about Yanni!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh ... but where's his piano?

You almost owed me a new laptop.  laugh

When they add an "icon" of Liberace they'll be sure to include the piano.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »

People in the Church tend to get upset when people outside the Church co-opt the Church's treasures as if they had a right.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

PP

Who's Kathy?

The Presiding Bishopess, I imagine.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »

PP

Who's Kathy?

Maybe she goes by Kitty.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2013, 09:57:44 PM »

I've found that the Orthodox are quite possessive about "Eastern-ness".

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »

Easy there, Melkite. Making sweeping generalizations about a religious group is a privilege enjoyed only by us Orthodox. Tongue
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »

People in the Church tend to get upset when people outside the Church co-opt the Church's treasures as if they had a right.

You mean like when [Roman-Rite] Catholics have the eucharist?

Easy there, Melkite. Making sweeping generalizations about a religious group is a privilege enjoyed only by us Orthodox. Tongue

angel

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »

What is the point of "Eastern Rite Anglicanism"?  The Mar Thoma Church in India was referenced somewhere, but that was a schism from the Orthodox that retained a simplified Eastern rite (Syriac).  What's the point of introducing an Eastern rite into the Anglican Church?  The name Anglican is presumably derived from the Latin for England...it doesn't get any more Western than that.  So why the push for an Eastern rite? 

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or dismissive, nor am I "protective" of Eastern-ness as some are alleged to be.  I just don't get it.  Forgive me if this has already been covered in this thread or elsewhere, I just don't recall having seen it, maybe I skimmed through that part.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »

A good question, though we should remember when bringing up distinctions of East/West that there are plenty of places that are geographically Western but definitely have their roots in Eastern praxis in one way or another. Mozarabic chant and iconography comes to mind, and there are even some very traditional Protestants who preserve chant styles that bring to mind non-Chalcedonian Orthodox forms that I'm fairly confident never made it as far as the Outer Hebrides! (I'm thinking this Gaelic chanting would be more at home with the Tewahedo than any Anglican, "Eastern" or otherwise.)

Keble
Archon

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »

PP

Who's Kathy?

I could have sworn there was some sort of rule about having to use titles.......  police
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 12:01:52 AM »

Perhaps there was a miscommunication then; I thought you were saying something I said was not true.  I agree wholeheartedly with your post, and truly wish you success, because I can think of several formerly Orthodox Episcopalians who would love to attend an Eastern Rite Episcopal service, if not in fact join an Eastern Rite Episcopal parish.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 12:05:55 AM »

You remind me a lot of the Disciple John, especially when Mark recollects him in chapter nine of of the second Gospel.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »

PP

Who's Kathy?

I could have sworn there was some sort of rule about having to use titles.......  police

Only when they're real.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »

PP

Who's Kathy?

I could have sworn there was some sort of rule about having to use titles.......  police

I think that goes for Church leaders only, not social clubs pretending to be religions.  Wink

EDIT: Dang, dzheremi beat me to it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:08:57 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:27 AM »

Only when they're real.

Well, last I heard, Katharine Jefferts Schori is a real person in a real leadership position in a real religious organization.  We can disagree on whether it is a "Church", whether she is a "bishop", or any number of things, but why be needlessly snarky?  Smiley 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »

Only when they're real.

Well, last I heard, Katharine Jefferts Schori is a real person in a real leadership position in a real religious organization.  We can disagree on whether it is a "Church", whether she is a "bishop", or any number of things, but why be needlessly snarky?  Smiley 

You must be new to the internet.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »

You must be new to the internet.

Not really...more like "on the internet but not of the internet".  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »

Oh, you silly Anglicans, always trying to play Liturgical Christianity with the big boys!

Really though, "Kathy" is just as bad as "Bart" or "Franky."

EDIT: I guess H.H. Pope Tawadros II is spared from snarky internet put-downery, on a count of having a name with no apparent diminutive.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:27:09 AM by lovesupreme » Logged
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2013, 01:35:37 AM »

A poster referred to HH as "Taw" recently, if I recall correctly. Seems right to me, given its correspondence to "Theo" (Tawadros = Theodore). Don't know if that's a standard diminutive form, though.

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2013, 01:45:39 AM »

A poster referred to HH as "Taw" recently, if I recall correctly. Seems right to me, given its correspondence to "Theo" (Tawadros = Theodore). Don't know if that's a standard diminutive form, though.

That would be "Teddy" (like Teddy Roosevelt).
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »

Sorry, I should have specified that I was talking about diminutives in Arabic (Taw for Tawadros, not Teddy for Theodore). I don't know anything about diminutives in Arabic, though I feel like I probably should. Embarrassed

LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2013, 02:49:11 AM »

Shameful and appalling.

Now that's a horrible way to talk about Yanni!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh ... but where's his piano?

You almost owed me a new laptop.  laugh

When they add an "icon" of Liberace they'll be sure to include the piano.

I. Love. You.  Kiss Kiss laugh
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 02:53:44 AM »

Precisely, my dear Shanghaiski. Precisely. Dilettantism should have no place in faith and worship.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: