Author Topic: Please Pray for My Father  (Read 689 times)

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
Please Pray for My Father
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:21 PM »
Please pray for my father. He is 81 years old and has sadly become a full blown alcoholic in the past few years. He is such a wonderful man and has endured so much in his life, and I hate to see him in this condition. He's been hospitalized twice for alcohol related problems. Both times they kept him long enough for him to dry out, an when he got home he did well for a few weeks but eventually started drinking again. He lives 12 hours away from me, and I feel helpless. I am trying hard to convince him to move out here to an assisted living facility in our town. I know he's lonely and depressed, and I'm sure that contributes to his drinking. I think it would be good for him to be close to his grandchildren, and also I could help take care of him since I'm not working.

My whole family situation with my father, mother, and my sister is very screwed up. Too much to go into here. But none of them are Christians (not that I'm any better than them at all), and in spite of their very high intelligence they seem absolutely incapable of discerning and doing what's best. And then they all turn their anger on me because I'm the only one that will tell them the truth about the whole situation. It's so frustrating.

Anyway, I would just like for you all to please pray especially for my father. I may be going up to see him in a few days to try to get him some kind of serious help, although I don't know if I'll be able to. I want to help him so badly, but if he refuses to move out here then I'm going to be very, very frustrated and very, very hurt.

Thanks for your prayers, and I am always open to any suggestions or advice.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Fotina02

Re: Please Pray for My Father
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:04 PM »
GMK, I've been praying the Akathist to the Most Holy Theotokos in Honor of the Icon of the Inexhaustible Cup nearly every day for a friend of mine who is also ill with alcoholism.  If you would like, you may PM me with your father's name and I will pray for him when I pray for my friend.  

Bless his heart.  Bless your family.  Bless you.

Lord have mercy, please heal and have mercy on the soul of GMK's father and on GMK's family.  Lord have mercy.  
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:13:39 AM »
GMK, I've been praying the Akathist to the Most Holy Theotokos in Honor of the Icon of the Inexhaustible Cup nearly every day for a friend of mine who is also ill with alcoholism.  If you would like, you may PM me with your father's name and I will pray for him when I pray for my friend.  

Bless his heart.  Bless your family.  Bless you.

Lord have mercy, please heal and have mercy on the soul of GMK's father and on GMK's family.  Lord have mercy.  

Thank you so much QuietMorning. I will PM you.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »
Lord have mercy.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »
Lord, have mercy. Grant Gebre peace and strength in this distressing situation.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:59 AM »
Lord, have mercy!

Families can be very difficult.  I sincerely pray that the Lord will bless you and yours and grant you all wisdom and guidance. 

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:35 AM »
Lord have mercy!

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:20 AM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:55 AM »
Lord have mercy!
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:59:49 AM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:43 AM »
Lord have mercy.
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:29:06 AM »
Lord have mercy!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:17 AM »
Lord have mercy!
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Mariama

• Previously known as giraffe
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:56:20 AM »
May God have mercy on your father and deliver him from his addiction.  Praying that your visit with him goes well.

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »
Lord have mercy!

God be with you Gebre.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline bytania

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 10:49:18 PM »
Lord have mercy on your father! Alcoholism is a selfish illness that affects not only the person himself but everyone else around. May God deliver your father from addiction and help him break free from this bondage.
Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers