OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:21:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To those that have been crucified/executed for Christ.  (Read 344 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 16, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »

I've been thinking about this for awhile now and how much in awe I am at the martyrs that sacrificed themselves either by crucifixtion or some form of execution. I wish I had that deep of a spiritual conviction to do the same if the time ever arises. I can't even imagine the agony one must have had to endure.

I wanted to ask a prayer request for those that suffered in the flesh and those that may suffer in the flesh in the future that I hope God is with them and doesn't abandon them when the despair is too much to carry.

Sorry if this comes off as pretentious or dumb, but if I was in that kind of a situation I would hope to have all the prayers I can get to strengthen me.

Lord have mercy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »

For those in those situations, past and present, Lord have mercy!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:02:16 AM »

Lord have mercy!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »

I've been thinking about this for awhile now and how much in awe I am at the martyrs that sacrificed themselves either by crucifixtion or some form of execution. I wish I had that deep of a spiritual conviction to do the same if the time ever arises. I can't even imagine the agony one must have had to endure.

I wanted to ask a prayer request for those that suffered in the flesh and those that may suffer in the flesh in the future that I hope God is with them and doesn't abandon them when the despair is too much to carry.

Lord have mercy.

My limited understanding of Christians who have encountered such trials is that those who have acquired the Holy Spirit fully in the sense of Saint Seraphim of Sarov
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/sermon_st_seraphim.htm
are protected from pain and are immersed in bliss throughout their trials.
e.g Saint Lawrence who was roated alive supposedly said "Turn me over. I am done on this side."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Rome

Another inspiring account is of the burning of Saint Polycarp who was unharmed by the fire
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/golden332.htm

As for Christians who were not so full of the Spirit, I would not like to speculate as to whether they suffered greatly or not.

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: