OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:15:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: convert to Orthodox Faith  (Read 854 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »

At first I thought about doing all the practices and traditions the right way - but then all the teachings in Orthodoxy always suggest that I'm doing it wrong and give them something to complain about.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:04:51 PM by WPM » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »

At first I thought about doing all the practices and traditions the right way - but then all the teachings in Orthodoxy always suggest that I'm doing it wrong and give them something to complain about.
What kind of response do you want from us?
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »

It's easy to go full tilt when you begin to convert - grief knows I did. . .I found that the wisdom of the church is very sound . . . a little at a time. . .and always under the direction / blessing / covering of your priest.  The idea is to draw closer to God, not go full tilt, fail, then get frustrated and quit.  

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

Like many of us, you are in turmoil over 'doing it the right way.' Work with your priest and develop an Orthodox path that works for you as counseled by your priest. There is no paperback 'Orthodoxy for Dummies' with all of the 'right way' rules laid out that can answer your questions or quell your fears. If I were to post " A+B+C = the Right Way" there would be a multitude of passionate responders telling you how 'wrong' that is. So - in the end - develop a good relationship with your priest and you will develop a good relationship with the Church - one step at a time - and the journey is not always a straight line, so be prepared.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »

OK...

I know a little about women. At first I thought I was doing all the practices and traditional behaviors the right way - but then it turned out that I'm doing everything wrong and gave them something to complain about.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »

^**facepalm**  Shocked 

**laughing**

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »

How about i edit my comments to say 'You don't need to buy Orthodoxy for Dummies....etc...etc..."  lol Wink Wink
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »

Is English your first language? We seem to have a communication gap here.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

Personally I just live my faith rather simply trying to say the daily Trisagion prayers , as the page header says in mu prayer book, ("Holy God, Holy Mighty..", "All Holy Trinity...", the Lord's prayer). Read the daily lectionary scriptures, an account of a daily saint etc. before leaving for work. I try to integrate a humble & sober awareness of prayer, alms giving, & fasting into living as the church calls us to do. I take confession & the Eucharist as the Spirit guides me through my conscience, since the frequency of these has varied in church history, but I stick to the framework. From there I go to liturgy to worship & give thanks and this guides me in secular living otherwise. It does not have to be complicated & there is much I have read about that I no longer worry about cause some of it made my head hurt but now I am at basic peace (& not on meds either).

Antiochian OC N.A.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »

Is English your first language? We seem to have a communication gap here.

Yeah, I don't understand the question...

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »

A close relationship with your spiritual father or pastor may resolve some of these insecurities---one thing I have learned as I have moved around the US and interfaced with differring jurisdictions  and ethnic parishes is that I know very little about the practices of anything except where I am currently attending services. When I am with a Greek Parish I had to learn a little Greek to be accepted and observe their practices to fit in. When I was in a Russian parish I had to change my practices to fit in there. Now I am in an Antiochian parish  and I have had to learn the practices and traditions there. As for my personal praxis in my own home I have taken that which was most meaningful to my spiritual growth and made it my own praxis of tradition in my home and with my family. We are American and the one thing Americans do is adapt.

May  your travel in the praxis of the faith be beneficial to you and your family.

Thomas

edited for grammar and spelling
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:12:29 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »

What kind of response do you want from us?

Tips & Input & Feedback  Wink . .
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »

A close relationship with your spiritual father or pastor may resolve some of these insecurities---one thing I have learned as I have moved around the US and interfaced with differring jurisdictions  and ethnic parishes is that I know very little about the practices of anything except where I am currently attending services. When I am with a Greek Parish I had to learn a little Greek to be accepted and observe their practices to fit in. When I was in a Russian parishe I had tochange my practices to fit in there. Now I am in an Antiochian parish  and I have had to learn the parctices and traditions there. As for my personal praxis in my own home I have taken that which was most meaningful to my spiritual growth and made it my own praxis of tradition in my home and with my family. We are American and the one thing Americans do is adapt.

May  your travel in the praxis of the faith be beneficial to you and your family.

Thomas

good advice - I did phone in to orthodox/catholic priest today.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:02:39 AM by WPM » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »

I will pray for you too.

Now that you are confirmed, are you regularly attending the WRO parish?
Have you been able to get rides to the Divine Liturgy?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:55:41 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »

I will pray for you too.

Now that you are confirmed, are you regularly attending the WRO parish?
Have you been able to get rides to the Divine Liturgy?

No vehicle yet.

Saying prayers at mom's house with desk/desktop + prayer corner.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 03:28:04 AM »

. .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: