OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:43:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel Mobo setup utility problem  (Read 1530 times) Average Rating: 0
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« on: September 18, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »

Here's another one for the good Cap'n:

I have a P4 running XP. Today, I tried to reinstall XP, only to find that the computer will not boot from the CDROM. Upon trying to load the mobo setup, I discovered that it will not run. Any ideas as to why it would not load the mobo setup utility?
dllwatkins

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 12:53:12 AM »

Are you trying to get into the BIOS to change the boot order?
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 03:06:15 AM »

Depends what kind of BIOS software you have.

You have to be pretty fast with it. And if you soft reboot the computer (CTL-ALT-DELTE) you usally wont be able to get into the BIOS.

So..power down the PC...and make sure you hit the:

INSERT key, the ESCAPE key, the F1 key and the F10 key...

Those are the most commonly used "enter into BIOS" keys. Make sure you hit them as soon as you power it on, and a few times at that, let me know.

Robert
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 07:38:19 AM »

I am indeed trying to change the boot order. F10 is the key to get into setup. Upon booting, I press the F10 key rapidly, and it actually says "Intel blah blah blah Setup v. blah blah", pauses a moment, and then goes to the Intel BootAgent.

Out of frustration I disconnected all drives and booted it up rapidly vibrating the F10 key; still didn't work, just paused a moment and then gave the ol' "non-system disk or disk error".
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 05:16:45 AM »

Try one of the other keys Bobby suggested
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 08:21:16 AM »

I'm fairly sure it's F10, as when booting up, it gives the message "F10 - Setup". I did try vibrating the other keys to no avail.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 08:54:07 AM »

Is your keyboard by any chance one of the new Microsoft keyboards that have various functions tied to the function keys? If that is the case then you need to press the F-Lock key (top, far-right corner) as soon as you switch on the computer for the function keys to work as basic function keys (thanks Mr Gates Tongue)
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:27:22 AM »

It's a Compaq keyboard, with various proprietary keys, but no F-lock. I may try replacing the keyboard with a generic one, just to see what happens.

I suspect it may be the CMOS battery; the time on that computer has always been wonky, but it's less than 5 years old, so I wouldn't expect it to have run out so quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: