OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:35:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: very early forms of church government  (Read 1995 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »

I know a little about early forms of church government. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »

Apostles, then bishops.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »

This is good.

Large Marge sent me...
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »

And...

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

Do you know enough to be dangerous, or do you wish to know more? I guess I'm having trouble understanding why you say this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »

Are you writing a paper?  Smiley
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »

Regarding PetertheAleut's post above, I also have to ask: is there anything specific you want to know or discuss?

Your post, since it has no question mark, reads as a statement much as if I posted: I know a little about women.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »

Regarding PetertheAleut's post above, I also have to ask: is there anything specific you want to know or discuss?

Your post, since it has no question mark, reads as a statement much as if I posted: I know a little about women.

HA!!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

Same!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »

You would think that I would know more after all these years, but I too know a little about women. In fact, I know even less about women than early church government or the NFL playoffs.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »

Surely no man understands women. Nonetheless, I think the first few rules you learn are the most important. Those being:

"Yes dear, the meatloaf tastes delicious!"

"No! You don't have a big butt, so how could that dress make it look big? You look great in that dress!"

"Yeah, maybe I should stop and ask for directions"

And of course, the most common one:

"You are right, my love!"

Large Marge sent me...
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »

As I understand it, the form of church government wasn't really set in stone in the Early Church, since the words "priest" and "bishop" are used interchangeably on the New Testament. It'd be interesting to learn about how a clear hierarchy emerged from it.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »

Fr Thomas Hopko has about 25+ hours worth of podcasts on the role of Bishops. I have listened to the first 7 and that only takes you to the 4th/5th century. It is on Ancient Faith Radio.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

I know a little about women.

Same!

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »

The evidence from the Bible shows that initially the terms for 'bishop' and 'presbyter' were used interchangeably to describe the same office in the Church.  However, it must be kept in mind that the Scriptures were written during the time when the Apostles were still alive and were the de facto overseers (or acting bishops) over the whole church.  In fact, one can see the transition beginning even in ACTS to what would become the pattern for monoepiscopacy that would ultimately followed by all the local churches.  

This transition is seen midway in Luke's account at the Church of Jerusalam after the apostles are dispersed by the persecution.  From that point on we see references to 'James and the elders with him'. The Lord's brother was basically the chief pastor (or bishop/presbyter) of the Jerusalem church, which can be clearly seen by his role in the council of Jerusalem among other things.  So even though the terms continued to be interchangeable for a while (particularly in the Western Churches), the basic pattern of one 'chief bishop/presbyter with his associate bishop/presbyters' was set while the apostles were still alive.  We know from Eusebius, that James was succeeded in his 'episcopal office' by his cousin Simeon, and from then on there continued to be one particular man who was seen as THE 'bishop' at a time.  By the early 2nd century, Ignatius was using the terms 'bishop' and 'presbyter' to refer to the distinct offices--the 'chief shepherd' and the 'associate/assistant shepherds', if you will--and he named a few of them in the letters he wrote on his way to his martyrdom (including Polycarp).  Even in Rome, where the terms remained interchangeable for good while longer, there was according to Eusebius an historical record of one man holding the 'episcopal office' (even if he used the term anachronistically) at time going back to the Apostles and starting with Linus.

BTW--the roles of Timothy and Titus are also important in understanding the development of the monoepiscopacy.  Here were two men, who weren't Apostles themselves, but who had authority from the apostles to appoint/ordain elders/overseers in their respective locations (Ephesus and Crete).  They were regarded by Eusebius (and presumably by the sources he used) as the first 'Bishops' of Ephesus and Crete.  No doubt, other apostolic co-workers had similar oversight roles in other cities on behalf of the Apostles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:24:49 PM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »

There is a published book on early forms of church government. I would add that specific one to my small library. {[--}}
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:51:59 PM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »

Are you writing a paper?  Smiley

Writing Journals
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »

"No! You don't have a big butt, so how could that dress make it look big? You look great in that dress!"

This worked very well for the first ten years or so of my marriage.
I have since refined it to something along the lines of: "No, that dress doesn't make you look nice. It is you that makes that dress look great!" 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »

Ask my husband for fashion judgements?
Please.
The man's been wearing the same kind of clothes (and in some cases, the actual clothes) since he was a teenager.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

I have since refined it to something along the lines of: "No, that dress doesn't make you look nice. It is you that makes that dress look great!" 

Aha! I may yet learn something about women Smiley

Ask my husband for fashion judgements?
Please.
The man's been wearing the same kind of clothes (and in some cases, the actual clothes) since he was a teenager.

The question isn't for a fashion judgment, it's so we have an opportunity to pay you women a compliment. We appreciate it, btw, because we're pretty clueless if left to our own devices Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

because we're pretty clueless if left to our own devices Smiley

Really???!!!

True story: before Christmas I handed my husband an ad with a particular watch circled. I said (very slowly) "If you're wondering what to get me for Christmas, I would like to have this watch." (pointing to it) "This particular watch. Not another watch. This one."

Imagine my delight when I opened a box on Christmas morning only to find the exact watch I wanted. From my mother.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »

Whether or not that's a problem depends. I still have the shoes I wore to my wedding in 1975. They might have been worn a few times for various things just after that, but for the last 20 years or so, I've worn them only to weddings - including those of my own children in 2000 and 2009. Good style never goes out of fashion.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »

Surely no man understands women. Nonetheless, I think the first few rules you learn are the most important. Those being:

"Yes dear, the meatloaf tastes delicious!"

"Yeah, maybe I should stop and ask for directions"

And of course, the most common one:

"You are right, my love!"
Lol

This video has a few classic tips (including the crucial dress tip) http://youtu.be/d7Y8je7kqWU

Silly Stars
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »

Perhaps, but I would use caution learning it from me!  laugh

I suddenly feel if I should apologize to the OP for veering so far off subject?

Sorry WPM

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »

Nothing wrong with a big butt, if it's shapely (ala J. Lo.) in my opinion.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »

Sorry WPM

Yes, we have veered a ways off topic (speaking to everyone here), and I ask that we get back on topic. Thank you.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »

nvm...ot post.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:48:17 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »

Sorry WPM

Yes, we have veered a ways off topic (speaking to everyone here), and I ask that we get back on topic. Thank you.

Please to explain what the original topic was? Cheesy

Large Marge sent me...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »

As I understand it, the form of church government wasn't really set in stone in the Early Church, since the words "priest" and "bishop" are used interchangeably on the New Testament. It'd be interesting to learn about how a clear hierarchy emerged from it. 

A clear hierarchy was present even before that point.

Multitude -> 70 Apostles -> 12 Apostles -> the 3 (Peter, James, John) -> God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »

I'd start at the book of Acts.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 12:15:10 AM »

Please to explain what the original topic was? Cheesy

Wink  Something like this..  

This is good.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:16:29 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »

Multitude -> 70 Apostles -> 12 Apostles -> the 3 (Peter, James, John) -> God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)

And where does St Paul fit in?

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »

Hum, remember too, both Sts. Peter and Paul are referred to in Orthodox hymnology as "Chief Apostles."  In fact, it is not incorrect to have St. Paul depicted in the Pentecost Icon-"the Descent of the Holy Spirit," due to his significance to the growth of the Church, its expansion among the Gentiles, and his elaborate written articulation of the message of Christ, even though he was not present at the Pentecost.

It should also be noted that St. James, the Brother of the Lord, presided at the Council of Jerusalem, which set the pattern for conciliar order (governance) for the Church.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:19:30 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »

And where does St Paul fit in? 

St Paul gets inserted; what is present above was delineated pre-Pentecost.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: