OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brother Nathanael  (Read 18573 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »

Not Sure Where to Post This....

As Anyone Heard Of This Person ,Jewish Orthodox Christian  Brother Nathanael,and  what he Has To Say About Jews ,Zionist, And  Politics...Here's a U=tub Video
Link ......http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Search&resnum=0&oi=spell&search_query=Brother+Nathanael&spell=1&sa=X

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:43 PM »

Not Sure Where to Post This....

As Anyone Heard Of This Person ,Jewish Orthodox Christian  Brother Nathanael,and  what he Has To Say About Jews ,Zionist, And  Politics...Here's a U=tub Video
Link ......http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Search&resnum=0&oi=spell&search_query=Brother+Nathanael&spell=1&sa=X
Yeah, his name comes up rather often on this forum, usually followed by a series of catcalls.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:49:35 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »

I think he posted here for a little while:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8691.msg115146.html#msg115146

If you do a search, you'll find other threads discussing him.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »

I think he posted here for a little while:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8691.msg115146.html#msg115146

If you do a search, you'll find other threads discussing him.

I didn't Know .....Thanks..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:13 AM »

I find his voice soothing... .. .

Large Marge sent me...
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »

I personally find no spiritual benefit in his speeches, or at least the ones I've listened to. He does claim on his webiste to be a ROCOR monk living seperately from the monastery where he first became a monk and lived for a number of years.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »

I find his voice soothing... .. .

LOL...and his dancing?

Formerly known as "mctavix"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

Crazy outfits + crazy dancing + crazy ideas = Lady Gaga
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

He's a white supremacist and I have a very low opinion of ROCA- Agafangel for allowing him to publicly rave without any repercussions.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »

He's a white supremacist and I have a very low opinion of ROCA- Agafangel for allowing him to publicly rave without any repercussions.
He's actually Orthodox? I thought he was just playing the part, so to speak.
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Br. Nathaniel is with ROCOR-MP under Met. Hilarion, or at least he was with ROCOR-MP back in July of 2011 according to what he said on his website.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Br. Nathaniel is with ROCOR-MP under Met. Hilarion, or at least he was with ROCOR-MP back in July of 2011 according to what he said on his website.

There seems to be no verifiable information that he was ever a.) Jewish or b.) Orthodox Christian.  I've read conflicting stories, but then again I haven't devoted more than 10 minutes of looking either.

searn77

Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »

There seems to be no verifiable information that he was ever a.) Jewish or b.) Orthodox Christian.  I've read conflicting stories, but then again I haven't devoted more than 10 minutes of looking either.

Yea I went looking on his website awhile ago and posted on this board about it, as I was curious about it myself. Anyways here's the post I made which quotes where Br. Nathaniel claims to be with ROCOR-MP under Met. Hilarion, how he goes to the cathedral "Our Lady of the Sign" in Manhattan in the presence of Met. Hilarion and Bp. Jerome, and he receives communion as "Br. Nathaniel":
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37755.msg599156.html#msg599156

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »

Interesting.  I know nothing of the ROCOR-MP or Met. Hilarion except things I've read here and there...but I cannot imagine ANY bishop allowing anyone affiliated with their Archdiocese to be preaching antisemitism on top of acting like a nut.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:50:05 PM by Hamartolos » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »

I cannot imagine ANY bishop allowing anyone affiliated with their Archdiocese to be preaching antisemitism

You'd be surprised...

Large Marge sent me...
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:24:40 AM »

I cannot imagine ANY bishop allowing anyone affiliated with their Archdiocese to be preaching antisemitism

You'd be surprised...

He doesn't preach antisemitism he preaches anti-Zionism. Which is fine by me. I like most of what he says but I can't stand watching him his movements are so goofy.
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:28 AM »

You'd be surprised...

He doesn't preach antisemitism he preaches anti-Zionism. Which is fine by me. I like most of what he says but I can't stand watching him his movements are so goofy.

It most definitely is antisemitism...claiming Jews are part of a NWO and have a secretive, dark mission to control the world is classical antisemitism.  Bigots always intrigued me because nothing they think requires actual intelligence as most often having knowledge would enlighten them.  "Christian" bigots are even more foul as they defile the body of Christ, who was Jewish, and yet are too simple to see the contradiction between Christ's message and their own idiocy. 

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 02:58:06 AM »

Interesting.  I know nothing of the ROCOR-MP or Met. Hilarion except things I've read here and there...but I cannot imagine ANY bishop allowing anyone affiliated with their Archdiocese to be preaching antisemitism on top of acting like a nut.

Welcome to Russian Orthodoxy. 
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »

He preaches a lot against Zionism. It is difficult to separate Anti Semitism from Anti Zionism. Br Nathanael speaks a lot about Zionism, which can LOOK like anti Semitism. I don't think he's Anti Jew, he is a weird guy, no doubt about that. I could swear that I read he is NOT canonically Orthodox. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 08:55:57 AM »

He preaches a lot against Zionism. It is difficult to separate Anti Semitism from Anti Zionism. Br Nathanael speaks a lot about Zionism, which can LOOK like anti Semitism. I don't think he's Anti Jew, he is a weird guy, no doubt about that. I could swear that I read he is NOT canonically Orthodox. Can anyone confirm this for me?

It's clear from the below videos that "Brother" Nathanael is a white supremacist. Where that leaves him vis-a-vis anti-Semitism/ anti-Zionism I don't know, but I don't really care either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q65ipz4vGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHK-xfH82OU

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »

It's clear from the below videos that "Brother" Nathanael is a white supremacist. Where that leaves him vis-a-vis anti-Semitism/ anti-Zionism I don't know, but I don't really care either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q65ipz4vGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHK-xfH82OU

And frankly, I don't give a  ---- if he is 'canonical' or not - Such prattle is an embarrassment to us all. Bah.
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »

Back in 2005 or so, he looked me up on an Orthodox website I used to run. I told him to stop emailing me and at first he refused, saying "But all the young people love me!" I then threatened to find his bishop and report him. He reluctantly stopped emailing me then. He's a nutcase. I think he wants to play Holy Fool for Christ, but he has enough hate in his heart that I think he's really playing Holy Fool for the opposing team, as it were.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »

I think he wants to play Holy Fool for Christ, but he has enough hate in his heart that I think he's really playing Holy Fool for the opposing team, as it were.

OCnet Quote of the Week nominee!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:33:59 AM by Keble » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »

I think he wants to play Holy Fool for Christ, but he has enough hate in his heart that I think he's really playing Holy Fool for the opposing team, as it were.

OCnet Quote of the Week nominee!

Seconded.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »

.. Br. Nathaniel claims to be with ROCOR-MP under Met. Hilarion,

I am sure you are mistaken and are, inadvertently, not telling the truth.  Nathanial could not claim to be a member of this "ROCOR-MP."  No such entity exists.  How can he claim to be a member of it?!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

I thought something was fishy about that!
searn77

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »

As there are many synods which claim the name "ROCOR" or "ROCA", "ROCOR-MP" is a common acronym used in reference to the ROCOR synod in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate (MP). As there was an assumption that Br. Nathaniel was in the ROCOR synod under Met. Agafangel (ROCOR-A) which is not in communion with "mainline" Orthodoxy, I stated that Br. Nathaniel claimed to be in ROCOR-MP or in other words, the ROCOR synod in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate. I know Irish Hermit doesn't like the term ROCOR-MP but he knows what synod I was referencing and I thought it was rather obvious that I was using the term to show who Br. Nathaniel was in communion with. No offence was intended.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:39:09 PM by searn77 » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

ROCOR-MP is a denigratory term applied to the Russian Church Abroad (or Outside Russia) by dissidents such as yourself who deny that we are even baptized and go so far as to call us servants of Satan (I am sure you are familiar with this in your Metropolitan's Encyclical.)

It is misleading at best to create an acronym for a Church when you know quite well that the Church does not use it.  Some silly people insist on using RCRO - Roman Catholic Religious Organisation.   It's all quite silly!

As there are many synods which claim the name "ROCOR" or "ROCA", "ROCOR-MP" is a common acronym used in reference to the ROCOR synod in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate (MP). As there was an assumption that Br. Nathaniel was in the ROCOR synod under Met. Agafangel (ROCOR-A) which is not in communion with "mainline" Orthodoxy, I stated that Br. Nathaniel claimed to be in ROCOR-MP or in other words, the ROCOR synod in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate. I know Irish Hermit doesn't like the term ROCOR-MP but he knows what synod I was referencing and I thought it was rather obvious that I was using the term to show who Br. Nathaniel was in communion with. No offence was intended.
searn77

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »

ROCOR-MP is a denigratory term applied to the Russian Church Abroad (or Outside Russia) by dissidents such as yourself who deny that we are even baptized and go so far as to call us servants of Satan (I am sure you are familiar with this in your Metropolitan's Encyclical.)

It is misleading at best to create an acronym for a Church when you know quite well that the Church does not use it.  Some silly people insist on using RCRO - Roman Catholic Religious Organisation.   It's all quite silly!

I used the term to clarify which ROCOR synod Br. Nathaniel was in communion with as someone thought he was in communion with a different ROCOR synod than the one you're a part of, so I don't see how I was being misleading. Some people use the term "EO" instead of typing out "Eastern Orthodox" or "RC" for "Roman Catholic." As for your other comments on the validity of baptisms or who the "servants of Satan" mentioned in my Metropolia's confession of faith, that is irrelevant to this thread. I didn't mean to mislead anyone as I thought I was clarifying which ROCOR synod he is a part of.

But I do not wish to derail this thread anymore as this is becoming off-topic.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:46 AM »

It is misleading at best to create an acronym for a Church when you know quite well that the Church does not use it. 

Clarity is always a good thing.  Considering the bizarre world of internet Orthodoxy, ROCOR-MP is a logical name. 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:06 AM »

I used the term to clarify which ROCOR synod Br. Nathaniel was in communion with as someone thought he was in communion with a different ROCOR synod than the one you're a part of, so I don't see how I was being misleading. Some people use the term "EO" instead of typing out "Eastern Orthodox" or "RC" for "Roman Catholic." As for your other comments on the validity of baptisms or who the "servants of Satan" mentioned in my Metropolia's confession of faith, that is irrelevant to this thread. I didn't mean to mislead anyone as I thought I was clarifying which ROCOR synod he is a part of.

But I do not wish to derail this thread anymore as this is becoming off-topic.

To bring this back on topic --- Nathanael Kapner may have left the Russian Church or he may still be with us, I do not know.   But he does not now, and never did,  belong to anything called ROCOR-MP.     Neither do I.  Neither does Metropolitan Hilarion.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 04:34:48 AM »

It is misleading at best to create an acronym for a Church when you know quite well that the Church does not use it. 

Clarity is always a good thing.  Considering the bizarre world of internet Orthodoxy, ROCOR-MP is a logical name. 

It is not the name of our Church.  What more needs to be said? 

The fact that around 12 (someone said they have reached 12?) newly created dissident groups now want to steal our name is another matter.  Perhaps we should prefix or suffix them all with Ps for "pseudo"?
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 04:41:30 AM »

The fact that around 12 (someone said they have reached 12?) newly created dissident groups now want to steal our name is another matter.  Perhaps we should prefix or suffix them all with Ps for "pseudo"?

It is an accurate description of your church, or are you embarrassed to be associated with the MP? 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 04:42:50 AM »

laugh  I suggest "GOA-Ph" because most people can mistakenly think it is an archdiocese of the Church of Greece.  Of course it is not.  It is an archdiocese subordinate to Constantinople.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 04:50:15 AM »

It is an accurate description of your church, or are you embarrassed to be associated with the MP? 

We are the one and only canonical "Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia" (or "Russian Orthodox Church Abroad").

That is our name.  The acronyms are ROCOR and ROCA.

I undersatnd that it is decent behaviour to address people and Churches as they desire.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:16 AM »

laugh  I suggest "GOA-Ph" because most people can mistakenly think it is an archdiocese of the Church of Greece.  Of course it is not.  It is an archdiocese subordinate to Constantinople.

It depends on the context.  If there is a discussion where the two are likely to be confused, simply saying GOA may not be the best choice.  In this case we are dealing with a jurisdiction hopping nutter (and these types love the various übertrue whatever jurisdictions) hence clarify that ROCOR here in fact means the mainstream ROCOR that is part of the MP is logical.  Depending on with whom I'm conversing I alternate being being Orthodox, Ukrainian Orthodox or UOC-MP depending on the level of clarity desired.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:43 AM »

It depends on the context.  If there is a discussion where the two are likely to be confused, simply saying GOA may not be the best choice.  In this case we are dealing with a jurisdiction hopping nutter (and these types love the various übertrue whatever jurisdictions) hence clarify that ROCOR here in fact means the mainstream ROCOR that is part of the MP is logical.  Depending on with whom I'm conversing I alternate being being Orthodox, Ukrainian Orthodox or UOC-MP depending on the level of clarity desired.

The acronym was created by dissidents.  It says that we are part of the smorgasbord of about 12 uncanonical groups which are using it.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »

The acronym was created by dissidents.  It says that we are part of the smorgasbord of about 12 uncanonical groups which are using it.

No, it says you are a part of the MP.  It rather swiftly distinguishes you from the others.  I'm trying to imagine a conversation:

Unwashed sinner:  Nice robes and bling, what church do you belong to?
The Holy Starets: ROCA
Unwashed sinner: Isn't that a brand of clothing?
The Holy Starets: ROCOR
Unwashed sinner: What is that?
The Holy Starets: That's the official name of the church
Unwashed sinner: hmmm, so you mean like the MP? 
The Holy Starets: NO!!!!! ROCOR. 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 05:08:54 AM »

We have an official name, well, two actually.

We have our official acronyms.

Please, nobody try and foist others on us, and especially ones which we do not accept.  That's an attempt at bullying.

Clarity is always a good thing.  Considering the bizarre world of internet Orthodoxy, ROCOR-MP is a logical name.  

laugh  I suggest "GOA-Ph" because most people can mistakenly think it is an archdiocese of the Church of Greece.  Of course it is not.  It is an archdiocese subordinate to Constantinople.

The acronym was created by dissidents.  It says that we are part of the smorgasbord of about 12 uncanonical groups which are using it.

No, it says you are a part of the MP.  It rather swiftly distinguishes you from the others.  I'm trying to imagine a conversation:

Unwashed sinner:  Nice robes and bling, what church do you belong to?
The Holy Starets: ROCA
Unwashed sinner: Isn't that a brand of clothing?
The Holy Starets: ROCOR
Unwashed sinner: What is that?
The Holy Starets: That's the official name of the church
Unwashed sinner: hmmm, so you mean like the MP?  
The Holy Starets: NO!!!!! ROCOR.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:09:39 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 05:11:35 AM »

We have an official name, well, two actually.

We have our official acronyms.

Please, nobody try and foist others on us, and especially ones which we do not accept.  That's an attempt at bullying.

It is about clarification.  I've identified myself as Russian Orthodox (despite that being nowhere in the official name of my church) for the sake of clarification. 
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »

Ha! TEC (formerly ECUSA, formerly PECUSA) still holds the title for most contrived church acronym.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »

Ha! TEC (formerly ECUSA, formerly PECUSA) still holds the title for most contrived church acronym.

How about Episcopal Church of America? That would be kind of nice.
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »

Ha anyone been following Bro. Nathanael or even supporting him financially ?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »

Ha anyone been following Bro. Nathanael or even supporting him financially ?

I watched one of his videos the other day (on monasticism) because I find his strange way of speaking strangely soothing. And that's about it.

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »

He's a nut.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: