OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:20:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do Buddhists have cultic practices?  (Read 480 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: September 17, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »

As I understand it, Sakyamuni Buddha is kinda divine/eternal in Mahayana Buddhism but still not in the traditional monotheistic sense. Can someone explain the purpose of cultic practices (chants, bowing, offering food, etc.) according to Buddhist doctrine?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »

As I understand it, Sakyamuni Buddha is kinda divine/eternal in Mahayana Buddhism but still not in the traditional monotheistic sense. Can someone explain the purpose of cultic practices (chants, bowing, offering food, etc.) according to Buddhist doctrine?
The practices help one develop compassion and wisdom. The practices also allow you to commune with the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

The practices help one develop compassion and wisdom. The practices also allow you to commune with the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

Aside from that, it assures a good rebirth and continuing progress toward Buddhahood in future lives.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »

What does communing with Buddha and bodhisattvas mean?

Tibetan monks came to my school today. They did mudras and chants and said they were making offerings to Buddha and bodhisattvas. I bet the western Buddhist converts love stuff like that.  angel

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas existing in spiritual realms can interact with embodied humans.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:20:29 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »

Tibetan monks came to my school today. They did mudras and chants and said they were making offerings to Buddha and bodhisattvas. I bet the western Buddhist converts love stuff like that.  angel

The best way to get the Western converts to get over their hangups about bowing to Buddha statues is to say, "You are really bowing to yourself." It works like a charm.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: