OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiromanism  (Read 247 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: January 14, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »

Many of us heard of Metr. Kallistos' (I'm not sure) words 'Roman Catholicism and Protestantism as flip sides of the same coin'. On the other hand I generally do  not see such a POV here. IMO many of the posters here tend to highlight the pros of Protestant denominations and cons of the RCC. I suppose it's partially because most of the posters here are converts from Protestantism and nostalgia speaks through them but I think it's  not the only one reason.

Any thoughts?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »

I've seen the idea attributed to Alexander Khomiakov as well, though I don't know if that's who it originated with (or if he even said it). But regarding anti-Romanism, I think a lot of the debates are with 3-4 posters on each side, and there just happens to be some vocal and prolific Orthodox posters who post in these threads. 3 of the top 10 people on this forum, according to post count, participate in these threads often. When you consider that 3 of the others in the top 10 don't even post any more, it's actually like 3 of the top 7 people who still regularly post here participating in those threads. I don't think this answers it, exactly, but it's probably part of it. Regarding Protestants, fwiw we have a stickied thread for answering Protestant ideas or objections (which I wish more people would participate in), and I think the interactions between various groups is a fairly nice mixed bag on this forum. That's my perception of things anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:58:00 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »

So you state it's not a general tendency in Americadoxy but an impression made by a few active posters here?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »

So you state it's not a general tendency in Americadoxy but an impression made by a few active posters here?

Well, I'm sure there are people like that in the parishes as well, both anti-Protestant and anti-Catholic people. In my experience theological debates don't come up as often in coffee time after liturgy, though. I mean, discussing that stuff is a major point of being here, but not the point of being there. But a handful of posters are vocal and prolific, so it is perhaps a bit of an exaggerated thing, as compared to what you'll find in the local parish, not so much because they aren't in the local parish, but just because it's usually not the correct forum for discussing such things, and there may not be a handful of Catholics or Protestants sitting there who are willing to debate.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:08:09 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:44:07 PM »

Likely. Speaking for myself I tend to be more forgiving toward Protestant aberrations because I realize that Romanism and Protestantism are flip-sides of the same coin. By declaring itself the sole authority in the Church Rome started the ball rolling for the state of Western Christianity today. From a Western perspective, Rome was the sole authority (even today I hear the idea that Rome was the sole authority post-Nicea to the Reformation and that the Schism was the Eastern Churches rebelling against that authority put forward from Protestant sources that really should know better. I'm looking at you, Ligonair conference), this led directly to Protestant groups not trusting in any human authority and placing the Scripture at the center seat. Protestants know enough of history to not trust papal authority, unfortunately they also don't trust any history from before the Reformation (at least in some cases) and are thus leery any form of appeal to Tradition or authority of the Church.

That said, while I'm willing to be more forgiving of the Protestant aberrations in the same way one might be willing to look into a person's upbringing when they commit a crime of desperation, I think I also tend to be a little harsher toward Protestants (here on the forum, anyway) in the same way a former alcoholic might be somewhat preachy to a family member with a drinking problem.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: