OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language Question, this time Russian  (Read 1665 times) Average Rating: 0
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 16, 2004, 11:13:28 PM »

I know there are Russian people and speakers who post here, so I figured this was a good place to ask my question...

I am reading Chekhov and preparing a scene from Uncle Vanya for (acting) class, and in one of my translations the grandmother-widow is called "Matushka" by her son. Now my question is, does this mean for sure that her husband was a priest? Or does the word "Matushka" have a more general meaning (like "mother") which means her husband could have been any profession? Thanx for the help!

~*Donna Rose Smiley
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 12:27:11 AM by Donna Rose » Logged

hmmmm...
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 11:42:08 PM »

I think I remember this as meaning "little mother" but as for its normal everyday use, I'd defer to Ania or other Russian-speakers.  Smiley

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »

Kim hit it right on.

I took two classes in Russian literature with Dr. Vladimir Bilenken who is supposedly world renown in his studies of Chekov, Leskov, and Pushkin.

Matushka means "Little Mother" and he constantly refered to Matushka Rus in his lectures.

I think I still have my notes if you're interested...

Robert
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 11:16:52 AM »

Matushka & Batushka are old-school endearments for parents.  I've heard fathers (both priests and parents) refered to as "bat'ka," which can be an endearment, or can be disrespectful.  
You will notice if you read a lot of Russian classic lit that parents are refered to as matushka & batushka.  It transfered over to priests, as religion was an integrated part of life, and people saw their priests as second fathers.
I personally have never called my parents batushka & matushka... though they are that in both senses of the word.  Neither have I ever called my grandparents that, although Dyeda is a priest.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 11:17:59 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 11:19:39 AM »

Out of curiosity, what did you call your parents?

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 11:21:58 AM »

Depends...  Mama & Papa, Mom & Dad... or when very annoyed... Maaahhh, Pahhh...  Usually when speaking to them, Mama & Papa.  
My paternal doner we (my sibs & I) sometimes refer to (fondly) as "staretz" (elder) or "bifshiy protodiakon" (former protodeacon) or "ierey" (priest) but never batushka.  But then, we're not your typical PKs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 11:24:44 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 08:13:09 PM »

Ah, thanx for the info all! Smiley

hmmmm...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: