OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin Priest Training and the Jesus Prayer  (Read 1827 times) Average Rating: 0
maqhth

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

« on: January 14, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »

I recently met a young RC Priest who is a few years out of seminary and has been doing confessions - a LOT of confessions - for a few years now - And he flat out did not know anything at all about the use of the Jesus prayer in the praxis of the Faith...  Is it NOT being taught in Roman Catholic seminaries???  It USED to be pretty standard 50-60 years ago among the rank and file faithful...  (But so then was fasting...]  I was just astonished, for when I asked him what he told those confessing to him what to DO ABOUT the onset of recurring sinful impulses, he gave a philosophical "They need to realize..." kind of response, which in the arena of spiritual warfare is useless...

Arsenios

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
You may be the only Bible...
That some will ever read...
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »

I've never heard of the Jesus Prayer being used by the Roman Catholics, at least not universally (I'm sure it is still part of the praxis of the Eastern Catholic Churches). 

As far as confession goes with Roman Catholics, I thought "standard" penances were saying the Rosary x amount of times.  THe only time I've ever been given the Jesus Prayer after my confession was for something more egregious.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
maqhth

Jurisdiction: Antioch

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »

I've never heard of the Jesus Prayer being used by the Roman Catholics, at least not universally (I'm sure it is still part of the praxis of the Eastern Catholic Churches). 

As far as confession goes with Roman Catholics, I thought "standard" penances were saying the Rosary x amount of times.  THe only time I've ever been given the Jesus Prayer after my confession was for something more egregious.

I just remember the Catholics I grew up around, Rose McCormick specifically, would frequently say, when something was going wry, "Lord have Mercy!"...

I was not referring to the Jesus Prayer as a penance, but as a weapon...

Arsenios

Reader Arsenios

Watch what you do...
You may be the only Bible...
That some will ever read...
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »

I recently met a young RC Priest who is a few years out of seminary and has been doing confessions - a LOT of confessions - for a few years now - And he flat out did not know anything at all about the use of the Jesus prayer in the praxis of the Faith...  Is it NOT being taught in Roman Catholic seminaries???  It USED to be pretty standard 50-60 years ago among the rank and file faithful...  (But so then was fasting...]  I was just astonished, for when I asked him what he told those confessing to him what to DO ABOUT the onset of recurring sinful impulses, he gave a philosophical "They need to realize..." kind of response, which in the arena of spiritual warfare is useless...

Arsenios

The Jesus Prayer has never been standard in the Roman Catholic Church.  It gained popularity in the East after the schism, after all.

Pray for this priest, instead of ranting.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:30:28 PM by Scotty » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with RCs using the Jesus prayer historically. I knew certain people had tried to push "centering prayer" over the past generation, but that's not exactly the same thing, and I thought recent.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »

As far as confession goes with Roman Catholics, I thought "standard" penances were saying the Rosary x amount of times.  THe only time I've ever been given the Jesus Prayer after my confession was for something more egregious.
I pray the Jesus Prayer, though I am not sure how often it is practiced or even talked about amongst Roman Rite Catholics. As far as confession, I have only been told to pray a Rosary as a penance once, and I think it was only because during my confession I mentioned how helpful the devotion of the Holy Rosary is to me. Usually, for me, I am told to pray about whatever the particular sin(s) were that I was struggling with. For example, if I was struggling with holding a grudge against someone, my penance might be to pray for that person and to pray for myself to see them as Christ sees them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:49:29 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with RCs using the Jesus prayer historically. I knew certain people had tried to push "centering prayer" over the past generation, but that's not exactly the same thing, and I thought recent.

Even that never gained popularity outside of large cities and Jesuit circles.  It isn't the same thing, because it isn't even Christian...

The Jesus Prayer isn't uncommon in RC Monasteries, however.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »

I never heard of the Jesus Prayer until after I became Orthodox.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

I recently met a young RC Priest who is a few years out of seminary and has been doing confessions - a LOT of confessions - for a few years now - And he flat out did not know anything at all about the use of the Jesus prayer in the praxis of the Faith...  Is it NOT being taught in Roman Catholic seminaries???  It USED to be pretty standard 50-60 years ago among the rank and file faithful...  (But so then was fasting...]  I was just astonished, for when I asked him what he told those confessing to him what to DO ABOUT the onset of recurring sinful impulses, he gave a philosophical "They need to realize..." kind of response, which in the arena of spiritual warfare is useless...

Arsenios

I've never heard of Roman Catholics using the Jesus Prayer except as something they deliberately adopt from Orthodox or ERCs.

Maybe you should give this priest a copy of Unseen Warfare as edited by St. Nikodemos.  It was originally written by an RC, Lorenzo Scupoli, so it might appeal to him.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »

Roman Catholic penance after Confession usually involves praying the Our Father, Hail Mary or a few other prayers. I've never heard of laypeople being given the Jesus Prayer to say. It's allowed for private devotion, but I grew up in that church, and it was never given to me as part of the penance prayers. Neither did my parents tell me about it, and they grew up in the RCC too.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

I never heard of the Jesus Prayer until after I became Orthodox.

me neither...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »

I just wanted to add that I am not saying there's anything wrong with the Jesus Prayer, of course- just that it wasn't assigned to me in penance, when I was younger.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »

Yeah, I don't remember how I learned about the Jesus prayer - I knew about it before I read the Way of a Pilgrim but didn't start praying it until I read that book.

I think it was from an Orthodox friend. Never was taught it by Romans.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Tony

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »

Actually I believe the Jesus Prayer would be more familiar to RCs today than 50 years ago.

Arsenios
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

Actually I believe the Jesus Prayer would be more familiar to RCs today than 50 years ago.

Arsenios
I'd agree with that. We have a pretty solid and lively Byzantine parish here in Albuquerque, and, as a result, many latins have taken to reciting the Jesus prayers. I attended that parish for about a year and I even used to keep a prayer rope on my person most of the time.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »

The idea that the name of Jesus has great spiritual power when uttered prayerfully is ancient among the post-schism saints in the Roman rite Church.  There may not have been the same formulaic used but there were similar things and often young religious were encouraged to repeat the name of Jesus throughout the day to fill the mind with thoughts of Him and to empty the mind of thoughts of the world.

M.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »

Arsenios

In the Catholic Church, when a priest or bishop or multiple priests and bishops are found to be lacking in sound spiritual development of their own to impart to their flock, we believe that the Holy Spirit makes up for that lack.

How does that work in Orthodoxy?

M.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: