Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 410 times)

Offline Priolo Gargallo

Baptism
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
Christ is in our midst! Last Sunday, I took a friend to the orthodox church I attend, and she found out that that's the church that her boss and family belong to, and tomarrow there is a baptism for their son, and they told her to bring a friend. Naturally, she choose me, and I'm curious as to how long it will run and what to expect. Any help is appreciated!
Most holy Theotokos, save us!

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
Re: Baptism
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »
Christ is in our midst! Last Sunday, I took a friend to the orthodox church I attend, and she found out that that's the church that her boss and family belong to, and tomarrow there is a baptism for their son, and they told her to bring a friend. Naturally, she choose me, and I'm curious as to how long it will run and what to expect. Any help is appreciated!

I've never heard of one Orthodox service being exactly like another, so it's hard to say. I would assume that the service would be only a baptism, not a baptism with a liturgy. I've only been to baptisms with liturgies, so I will leave that answer to others. However, if it's anything like the baptismal liturgies I've been to, it'll last about two hours for the first baptizee, and ten to fifteen additional minutes for each additional baptizee. Then, one hopes that they are quick in changing clothes or you could be singing troparia for awhile.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Congratulations. I'm sure it'll be beautiful.   :)

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:49:03 AM »
Baptism without a Liturgy last for about 30 minutes.

http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgical_texts/baptism.asp

Here you can found how it is done.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject