43% of Americans Apparently Believe that God's Intervention Aids Tim Tebow

(1/11) > >>

podkarpatska:
According to a recent poll, apparently 43% of Americans believe that God favors the football player, Tim Tebow and intervenes on his behalf. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/2012/0112/Poll-God-helps-Tim-Tebow-win-football-games.-Does-Tim-Tebow-agree

I suppose the corollary is that He is punishing the losers or the droppers of passes? I was taught that we are to be thankful to God for the gifts we receive and the talents which are given to us. What we do with them and how they impact others, however, is up to us. Remember that parable about the servants and the talents? Matthew 25:14-30 The concept that many Americans seem to have of God is one of an omniscient Santa Claus dispensing His Grace off of some sort of eternal good and naughty list.

HabteSelassie:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

A) I am happy enough that 43% of Americans believe in ANYTHING anymore, let alone miracles ;)

B) Stop hatin Tim Tebow yo, the brother deserves his propz as both a ridiculously talented athlete and also clearly a man of faith.

By the way, Jesus is nothing new to football, what is different is that the cameras and writers have decided to highlight whenever Tebow mentions God whereas traditionally they have just let those same kinds of comments by other players fly under the radar.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shanghaiski:
In 43 percent of America, religion=football.

primuspilus:
This Tebow thing is stupid. If this is the thing that they can slam Tebow for, AND have it stick, then Tim Tebow is then next Dan Marino (minus Ace Ventura, and the snazzy leather gloves).

PP

podkarpatska:
Quote from: HabteSelassie on January 13, 2012, 04:36:39 PM

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

A) I am happy enough that 43% of Americans believe in ANYTHING anymore, let alone miracles ;)

B) Stop hatin Tim Tebow yo, the brother deserves his propz as both a ridiculously talented athlete and also clearly a man of faith.

By the way, Jesus is nothing new to football, what is different is that the cameras and writers have decided to highlight whenever Tebow mentions God whereas traditionally they have just let those same kinds of comments by other players fly under the radar.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I am not 'hating' Tebow. If you read the article I cited, it is clear that he doesn't view God's blessings in such a simplistic manner.

Before the game, he prayed aloud: "Lord put a wall of protection around me and my teammates today, and we go out there and we can honor you with everything we do and say. I love you in Jesus' name." During the fourth quarter, he prayed: "Dear Jesus, I need you. Please come through for me. No matter what happens, win or lose, give me the strength to honor you.  Two weeks earlier, his choice of scripture when asked by Broncos Head Coach John Fox to address the team again spoke more to a desire to express communal strength and courage than an overt desire to win. He quoted Proverbs 27:17, which states: "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Frankly, most people if they reflect upon their response wouldn't put it in such simplistic terms either.

I still don't know what the Steelers did to tick off.....oh, well - nevermind that!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page