OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:37:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syriac Christians returning to Turkey, citing greater safety  (Read 489 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »

Syriac Orthodox Christians, who had left Turkey for parts of Europe due to unsafe conditions, have begun to return to their former homes. The reason appears to be a decline in violence.

From the article:
Syriacs have lived for about 5,000 years in the provinces of Mardin, Batman and Şırnak, and some migrated to various foreign countries because of the fighting between the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) and Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) terrorists that broke out in the region in 1980.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »

Syriac Orthodox Christians, who had left Turkey for parts of Europe due to unsafe conditions, have begun to return to their former homes. The reason appears to be a decline in violence.

From the article:
Syriacs have lived for about 5,000 years in the provinces of Mardin, Batman and Şırnak, and some migrated to various foreign countries because of the fighting between the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) and Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) terrorists that broke out in the region in 1980.
Hopefully, the decline in violence wasn't beacuse they left and they had nobody to beat on....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »

Just attended a lecture on the Holocaust and the Armenian genocide. Somehow I rather doubt that there could be safe for any religious minority anywhere in Turkey.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »

Just attended a lecture on the Holocaust and the Armenian genocide. Somehow I rather doubt that there could be safe for any religious minority anywhere in Turkey.
How so? The religion of peace and all... Roll Eyes

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »

PP

I don't think Islam is the problem. Turks are the problem.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »

PP

I don't think Islam is the problem. Turks are the problem.

Maybe I should clarify. Yes you are correct. However, in secular governments with a majority of Muslim adherents, they tend to look the other way when they persecute a minority (unless the persecution is so blatant and gratuitous  that the government is forced to do something).

PP

Gregory the Great

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »

in secular governments with a majority of Muslim adherents, they tend to look the other way when they persecute a minority (unless the persecution is so blatant and gratuitous  that the government is forced to do something).
PP

Let's not generelize. 'Confederate States of America' during the civil war period, was defenitely not a nation with a majority of Muslim adherents, but for sure a minority group was enslaved and persecuted there. We could even say in the south up until the civil rights era of the 60's and 70's the minorities were persecuted and the government was looking the other way.

I think it has more to do with the education, exposure and overally economic well being of the citizens. As the education level, economic / living conditions of parts of the world get somewhere close to America or Western Europe, acceptance of minorities will be better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:55:17 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »

I think it has more to do with the education, exposure and overally economic well being of the citizens. As the education level, economic / living conditions of parts of the world get somewhere close to America or Western Europe, acceptance of minorities will be better.

Not necessarily. IIRC nazis were and suicide bombers are often highly educated, Pol Pot studied in France etc.

I don't know much about Turkey but it seems that their national identity is so narrow that it won't allow any expressions of identity that departs from it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:56:50 AM by Alpo » Logged
Tags: Turkey  Syriac  Syriac Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: