OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:03:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying with eyes open or closed  (Read 884 times) Average Rating: 0
Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

I once heard someone say that Eastern Orthodox normally pray with their eyes open and Catholics pray with their eyes closed. Probably a rather inconsequential issue, but it kind of made me wonder.  I guess with me it depends on what I am praying or if it is in private or public.  Most protestants, particularly ministers I recall close their eyes very tightly, and I would have to say it seems thatit appears most Catholics seem to close their eyes at least during a public prayer.  Just curious if there really is any difference between protestants, Roman Catholics, Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. Any input?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »

I've been told by numerous Orthodox sources that one should keep one's eyes closed during prayer and open them only to "recharge" one's prayer by looking at an icon if one feels distracted.

FWIW, I do both. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »

I do both, as well.

It depends on the prayer, and where you are.

Sometimes, if the church is crowded and folks are moving about, and kids are playing with their toys, and people are chit chatting, it's easier to simply block them all out by closing your eyes and focus on the "sounds", not the "sites".  Then you hear the hymns being sung, the words of the priest's petitions, you notice the sweetness of the incense, etc.

However, if there's no major distractions, open and look at the salvation before you.  The icons, the priest's gestures, etc.  It's communal prayer.

It all depends.

However, I've heard that the faithful are not to "imagine" things, and not "visualize" things...which is apt to happen with closed eyes.  If they are open you have a harder time of visualizing, as your mind is locked on what your eyes are looking at.

I am curious if there really is a right or wrong here.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »

I once heard someone say that Eastern Orthodox normally pray with their eyes open and Catholics pray with their eyes closed. Probably a rather inconsequential issue, but it kind of made me wonder.  I guess with me it depends on what I am praying or if it is in private or public.  Most protestants, particularly ministers I recall close their eyes very tightly, and I would have to say it seems thatit appears most Catholics seem to close their eyes at least during a public prayer.  Just curious if there really is any difference between protestants, Roman Catholics, Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. Any input?

I really wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard the statement: "I once heard someone say," followed by weird and often inaccurate information.

How one prays depends on the person. I've never seen or read anything anywhere about Orthodox praying with eyes open or closed. The closest thing I have found relates to where the hands are, and even this varies, though mostly they are at the sides.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »

I close them when everyone else is closing theirs and bowing their heads. Otherwise I keep them open, so I can see the icons... or the words I'm supposed to be praying  Grin

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »

That's interesting. I had never heard of a rule about it, but the way I do it is this: in church, eyes open. At home, usually closed.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »

I've been told by numerous Orthodox sources that one should keep one's eyes closed during prayer and open them only to "recharge" one's prayer by looking at an icon if one feels distracted.

FWIW, I do both. 
Doesn't praying with one's eyes closed tend towards engaging the imagination in prayer?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ignatius II

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »

Shanghaiski-

I'm not exactly sure of the implication of your response if you were questioning if I actually heard this statement or if I had been supplied with inaccurate information. I am assuming you meant the latter. Irregardless, here is one source as a reference to the eyes open prayer issue: Ancient Faith Radio's podcast of entitled -At the Intersection of East and West series dated Jan 7, 2009 by Deacon Michael Hyatt titled "10 Things I Wish I Knew".   I haven't listened to this podcast again to verify if this is the correct one.  If you find it is not the correct podcast, let me know and  I will try will try to  locate this particular source.   
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »

FWIW, I do both. 
Doesn't praying with one's eyes closed tend towards engaging the imagination in prayer?

I can't speak for others, but for me, it helps to shut out distractions.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »

I keep my eyes open. . . whether I'm at home or at church. . . it is very very rare that I will close my eyes.  But that isn't anything I've ever been taught, that's how I've always prayed.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: