OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 11:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Average American is a Filthy Slob  (Read 2012 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »

A couple trips to your nearest Wal-Mart might show that amartin's onto something.  Let's see, they tend to know way more about Supreme Pizza than the Supreme Court.  Their current fiscal strategy is more out of balance than a drunk guy logrolling with an inner-ear infection during Mardi Gras.  The low-brow humor in our society is as prevalent as fringed T-shirts that read, "Rats Off To Ya!"... Who gave me the barometer of your bad taste you ask?  Well, when you're wearing alligator boots and neon green muscle shirt with a comb-over that looks like a spider sneezed on your head, you did.  Like I said, he might be onto something. 

These problems aren't just limited to the United States, unfortunately.  Places that have a vibrant and strong local culture have resisted to some degree, but even in China it wasn't uncommon to see fat children gorging themselves at KFC.  The problem breaks down to our genes.  We gravitate towards things that are tasty to us (fat, sugar) because once upon a time there were rarities in our diet.  Now we have to control ourselves.   The other things you mention... cultural boredom leads to that. 

An interesting quote from Khomiakov to ponder: "Every age, every nation contains in itself the possibility of original art, provided it believes in something, provided it loves something, provided it has some religion, some ideal."  I don't think consumerism and self-gratification are high enough ideals to produce much of anything worthwhile. 

Indeed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

Proud to be an American *pats belly* Well, time to go slaughter some animals, watch some inappropriate material and order material things online.

I am absolutely and utterly shocked. I am leaving the country ASAP.

It's like you're being constantly tasered.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »

If you keep seeing the "bad" side of people, you still have not finished. I think that such a pessimistic view can be very negative for your own self.

I mean, try to focus on the "good points".  Grin
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »

The average American is overweight, eats 100-200 pounds of dead animal flesh per year, accumulates an unimaginable amount of waste, spends their free time by sitting on a couch starring at a television, does absolutely nothing for their spirituality, does not even think about their souls, and their women wear slutty clothing and have sex with so many different men that one out of four of them have a sexually transmitted disease, and they are obsessed with material things. I cannot find one decent female. These days, the men of God must go to foreign countries to acquire their wives. A wise man once told me: "Don't ever bring her back here because she will be instantly corrupted." There is no more decency.

We all fall short of the glory of God.

As far as the animal flesh goes, I believe that God wouldn't have made animals taste so good if we weren't meant to eat them Smiley
I agree that Americans spend way too much time with the TV, and not enough with their families.
I disagree that the average American doesn't do anything for their spirituality.  I think many people try, at least a little.

I disagree that most women wear "slutty" clothing.  Most women I see are dressed moderately modestly, but of course there are exceptions.  I disagree with their choices biblically (in the thread I started on dress & traditions) on their dress as the terms of how they dress.  However, saying "slutty" is stretching it a lot.  My mother, sisters, and other women in my extended family do not dress slutty.   My immediate family dresses in conservative old school dresses and wear head coverings all the time.

I think most of your examples are taking more of the "exceptions route" rather than the general.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »

Two things:

1. Obesity is a problem which almost every nation on the planet are dealing with(maybe except Africa)

2. Do you seriously think, the rest of the world is any different? If you do, you have obviously never been to Europe.

amartin , I hate to say this, but many of your posts are pretty insensitive. Many people out there are battling with sins everyday and the last thing many of them need is someone that keep talking about how good he is and how everybody else are evil.

The truth is that many people are battling with obesity, of whom, many find it very hard to lose weight. We shouldn't judge them, neither should we call them "filthy slobs". Rather, we should call them our brothers and sister and treat them wth kindness, so we can might help them in their struggle.

Read amartin as if he is our Jonathan Swift.

Based on another thread, his advice on women does certainly sound like a modest proposal.

I am going to totally leave this alone.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »

Proud to be an American *pats belly* Well, time to go slaughter some animals, watch some inappropriate material and order material things online.

I am absolutely and utterly shocked. I am leaving the country ASAP.

Please don't leave!  I don't want to be alone without your wise guidance!   Cry

Fear not--it isn't called the "worldwide web" for nothin'!  Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »

...and their women wear slutty clothing and have sex with so many different men that one out of four of them have a sexually transmitted disease, and they are obsessed with material things. I cannot find one decent female. These days, the men of God must go to foreign countries to acquire their wives. A wise man once told me: "Don't ever bring her back here because she will be instantly corrupted." There is no more decency.

amartin; thank you so much for opening my eyes. I met my wife right here in this God forsaken country over 25yrs ago. I fell in love, married her, and had a DAUGHTER glory to God. I knew she was not perfect (who is) but I did not realize she was what you just pointed her and every other American’s wife out to be. I take no offence even though we are ‘one flesh’, no, I do not find your statement judgmental or insulting, I simply thank you for revealing the truth about American woman, of which none have any decency, including MY WIFE or MY DAUGHTER. Now that you have revealed this truth about them, rest assured we will be sitting down and discussing this matter when I get home!!

Thank you for your insight to my personal life and country!  Wink

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »

Agreed.  This amartin fellow uses the word "slutty" like it is something bad.

...and their women wear slutty clothing and have sex with so many different men that one out of four of them have a sexually transmitted disease, and they are obsessed with material things. I cannot find one decent female. These days, the men of God must go to foreign countries to acquire their wives. A wise man once told me: "Don't ever bring her back here because she will be instantly corrupted." There is no more decency.

amartin; thank you so much for opening my eyes. I met my wife right here in this God forsaken country over 25yrs ago. I fell in love, married her, and had a DAUGHTER glory to God. I knew she was not perfect (who is) but I did not realize she was what you just pointed her and every other American’s wife out to be. I take no offence even though we are ‘one flesh’, no, I do not find your statement judgmental or insulting, I simply thank you for revealing the truth about American woman, of which none have any decency, including MY WIFE or MY DAUGHTER. Now that you have revealed this truth about them, rest assured we will be sitting down and discussing this matter when I get home!!

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

America is pretty overweight, I mean, we deep fry chocolate covered bacon and twinkies for crying out loud.

What? I've never even heard of that. I do know in Scotland they fry Mars bars or something. With that and Irn Bru (which is like Mountain Dew, if it were made with cocaine), I'm sure the average Scot is much more unhealthy than your average American.
amartin

Faith: Apostolic Quakerism/Hesychasm/KriyaYoga
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »

Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: