OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:19:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plan B Contraception Finally Made Prescription Only For Teens  (Read 1216 times) Average Rating: 0
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« on: December 07, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

HHS overrules FDA, blocks over-the-counter Plan B for younger teens

By Melanie Mason

December 7, 2011,
The emergency contraceptive Plan B will not be made available over-the-counter to younger teens, the Food and Drug Administration announced Wednesday, exposing a rift between the agency and the Department of Health and Human Services.

But Hamburg said she was informed this morning that HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius disagreed with the FDA’s determination, and therefore the request by Teva, Plan B’s manufacturer, will not be approved.

"[T]he switch from prescription to over the counter for this product requires that we have enough evidence to show that those who use this medicine can understand the label and use the product appropriately,” Sebelius said in a statement. "I do not believe that Teva’s application met that standard. The label comprehension and actual use studies did not contain data for all ages for which this product would be available for use."

The drug will remain on the market, but women under the age of 17 must have a prescription.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-planb-20111207,0,4209118.story

This is absolutely fantastic news! Plan B is in fact a dangerous drug which should not even be on the market let alone available over-the-counter.  The very purpose of regulating drugs to prescription only is to limit their access for safety of the consumer.  Pharmaceutical drugs are not panacea nor universally safe, in fact quite the opposite.

This news is then a great first step, in that it will make it safer for teens who may abuse access to this drug thinking it the safer kind of contraception like condoms.  Pharmaceutical contraception, including hormonal birth control, have a wide-range of potentially dangerous side-effects, and ALL users should be careful, informed, and responsible, something most teenagers are NOT!  So its good they should have to go to a doctor now, the doctor will be the responsible adult in the room.  They will no longer view Plan B as a viable alternative or quick fix.  In this way, it is similar to Confession for Communion, we can't simply commune whenever we feel like it, but must go to our priests.  If women are going to result to Plan B, at the least teenagers (if not ALL women) should have to go through an expert first, for their safety alone!

Again this is a great first step, the next will be much like California Prop 2/4 from 2008 which will also regulate teenage abortion to require parental or adult consent, which forces teens to go through responsible adult middlemen to help them make a more responsible decision grounded in an atmosphere of social support.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:50:53 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »

It is hardly a dangerous drug.

You can buy worse OTC at the store and I ain't talking about alcohol or tobacco.

It's a nonsensical statement.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:21:19 AM »

You can buy worse OTC at the store and I ain't talking about alcohol or tobacco.

But maybe the requirement that this drug be dispensed only per a doctor's prescription will force parents to be more active in the lives and decisions of their teenage children.
Isadore

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:42:07 AM »

you can imitate plan b by taking multiple regular birth control pills and a lot of people do this anyway. no it's not great for you, but a lot of herbs and teas can do the same.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:51:05 AM »

you can imitate plan b by taking multiple regular birth control pills and a lot of people do this anyway. no it's not great for you, but a lot of herbs and teas can do the same.

Except Plan B tends has a lower rate of side effects and yes women have been doing "Plan B" for a long time.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:34 AM »

Any steps or measures that can further respect for Life and make the cancellation of pregnancy (i.e. murder) more difficult is a good thing in my opinion.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:02 AM »

Except Plan B tends has a lower rate of side effects and yes women have been doing "Plan B" for a long time.

They wouldn't have to if men would take more responsibility with "Plan A"

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »

Agreed, with the caveat that it takes two to tango.  Unless you are talking about rape, which is the only time that the "man" takes full responsibility.  In that case I fully support women getting concealed carry permits.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »

Nice!!!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

Deleted: I was being snarky.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:19:43 AM by KBN1 » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

What's Plan A?

Any couple having sex should be able to discuss what birth control method they are going to use. It ain't a men's thing or women's.

Time to be an adult.

NBD.

FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »

What's Plan A?

Any couple having sex should be able to discuss what birth control method they are going to use. It ain't a men's thing or women's.

Time to be an adult.

NBD.

It's a man's responsibility, even when knowing his partner is using contraception, to still take his own precautions.

"I'm on the pill" can mean many different things depending on who is speaking and what they're hoping to achieve.

Time to be a wise adult.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 01:24:40 PM »

What's Plan A?

Time to be an adult.

NBD.

It's a man's responsibility, even when knowing his partner is using contraception, to still take his own precautions.

"I'm on the pill" can mean many different things depending on who is speaking and what they're hoping to achieve.

Time to be a wise adult.

Then you ask those questions.

Again. NBD.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »

Although I am happy about this I think in the big picture it does not make much difference in the long run. Its just a bump in the road for people who are pro-abortion.

Making things illegal is not the answer. The answer is making people understand its a life, then it wont matter what is out there. If you can depersonalize the weakest amongst us, you can depersonalize anything.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »

Although I am happy about this I think in the big picture it does not make much difference in the long run. Its just a bump in the road for people who are pro-abortion.

Making things illegal is not the answer. The answer is making people understand its a life, then it wont matter what is out there. If you can depersonalize the weakest amongst us, you can depersonalize anything.

PP

You realize this has NOTHING to do with abortion, except for those who misunderstand the topic and think it is abortion. (Really, don't give me those same silly links about it being an abortifacient. I've already mocked them elsewhere.)

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »

We all know how much you love and excel at mocking everyone and everything.  There's no question there.

However, from the website in the OP:  "Teva, the manufacturer of the oral contraceptive that can be taken up to 72 hours after sex to prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg,..."

Yes, it might not be an embryo yet, however, it is a fertilized egg.  Now, aren't fertilized eggs the little things that get implanted into prospective mothers' wombs when they undergo artificial insemination to get pregnant.

Therefore, potentially, if given the correct medium to flourish in, that fertilized egg is an individual life.

So, the details lie in the exact definition of an abortion.  Is it the extinguishing of life, or simply the extinguishing of a life that has "attached" itself to the mother's womb.

Either way, it stops a life from flourishing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »

PP

You realize this has NOTHING to do with abortion, except for those who misunderstand the topic and think it is abortion. (Really, don't give me those same silly links about it being an abortifacient. I've already mocked them elsewhere.)
I know it has nothing to do with abortion. I was actually agreeing with you,  that it was not that big of a deal. I simply gave a caveat afterwards about my opinion concerning the matter that led to abortion (where these types of discussion usually end up at, especially those in favor of these pills tend to also be pro-abortion). Thats all.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »

We all know how much you love and excel at mocking everyone and everything.  There's no question there.

However, from the website in the OP:  "Teva, the manufacturer of the oral contraceptive that can be taken up to 72 hours after sex to prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg,..."

Yes, it might not be an embryo yet, however, it is a fertilized egg.  Now, aren't fertilized eggs the little things that get implanted into prospective mothers' wombs when they undergo artificial insemination to get pregnant.

Therefore, potentially, if given the correct medium to flourish in, that fertilized egg is an individual life.

So, the details lie in the exact definition of an abortion.  Is it the extinguishing of life, or simply the extinguishing of a life that has "attached" itself to the mother's womb.

Been here before.

Do I need to quote myself or just write it again.

There is no way of beginning to even map out a method of testing what effect this would have in this situation.

You realize this happens "naturally". How frequently does it? How would you see to what degree this drug increases this frequency? If at all.

Good luck.

Theoretically sure. But practically?

And if you want to start ruling all things that theoretically increase the chance of this happening, well life is going to start to look weird probably for women. Being reduced to possible killers of children in virtue of their behavior.

This ain't a slippery slope. If you are willing to start altering people's behavior in virtue theoretical and unknown results of behavior, then let's get serious.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

And so that many OTC drugs are also dangerous is a good thing? Perhaps these drugs, including Tylenol, should be placed back on prescription only if they are in fact worse or potentially dangerous..

Actually there are quite a few strong side-effects for Plan B, and up to 2% of women who take it might have to be hospitalized afterwards.  That being said, I think that teenage girls who are minors should have to consult at the least their physician to get access to such strong drugs. It is not a morality issue, it is a public safety issue.  Same thing with underage abortions.  Since we can't get rid of abortion on moral grounds, the least we can expect is to properly regulate such activities for the sake of public health.  Teenage girls do not have the brain development to fully understand the consequences of their decisions, they are like most teenagers, rash and impulsive.  These drugs are not condoms, they have risks and side effects.  Further, abortion is a surgical procedure.  If the same 16 year old girl had a pre-cancerous polyp on her cervix, she would need parental consent to get the surgery to remove it because cervical dilation is a risky procedure, it can allow for serious infections, which is why doctors won't perform such surgeries on teenagers without parental consent lest they find themselves in a malpractice lawsuit.  However, abortions, all access. 

The problem with politicians who promote abortion and plan b access for teens is that they are making an excuse and a lazy cop-out.  They don't want to confront the complicated reality of teenage sexuality and pregnancy in our society, so they both kick the can down the road and further just give kids universal access to potentially dangerous medical procedures and drugs without required ADULT intervention!! That is callous and lazy, we adults need to GROW UP and HELP OUR KIDS!!! Why should young women have to go at this all their own? There should be more mechanisms in place to assist them, not simply in getting any particular procedure, but rather with socio-psychological support and encouragement.  If teen girls insist on abortions or Plan B, then at the least they should have to consult a second opinion.

These drugs are similar, they have similar risks and side-effects, and as such should also require at the least that teenage girls consult their physician not their pharmacist.  For example, if the EXACT dose is not taken in the EXACT right timing, or if the person throws up the drug (which is common because the most common side effect is extreme nausea) the drug only induces a later miscarriage (up to a MONTH LATER!!) because it causes horrible defects to the developing embryo.  This can be psychologically devastating to a young woman who though that Plan B would just be a quick fix...

I am sorry but as an educator of high-school aged kids and  a sunday school teacher of the same age group, why would we want to let our kids fend form themselves in a sexual world? They are KIDS!  Unless we are going to get old world about it an give them the options of marriage, family, a career at a younger age instead of pushing this extended childhood thing of the modern era, then we as adults need to be more responsible.  This is then a GREAT first step.

Abortion and Plan B kinds of "birth control" are a norm in American society, and I accept that. But just like I mentioned about Islamic parties in Egypt, just because we disagree with the power structure doesn't mean we can't also demand our rights and safety be protected by our government and society.  So if we have abortion, the lease we can do is make it safer, and teenagers are not in their right mind to go it alone with either Plan B or abortion, Plan B should then rightfully be prescription only and abortion should require adult or parental consent.  Kids shouldn't go it  alone just because they are afraid, we as adults should ALWAYS be there to help them in ALL MATTERS, especially sexual or pregnancy, life is real, not an ideal.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »

What's Plan A?

Time to be an adult.

NBD.

Time to be a wise adult.

Then you ask those questions.

Again. NBD.

I've never been in a situation where i've needed to  Tongue

It's pertinent to the general discussion though.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »

Been here before.

Do I need to quote myself or just write it again.

There is no way of beginning to even map out a method of testing what effect this would have in this situation.

You realize this happens "naturally". How frequently does it? How would you see to what degree this drug increases this frequency? If at all.

Good luck.

Theoretically sure. But practically?

And if you want to start ruling all things that theoretically increase the chance of this happening, well life is going to start to look weird probably for women. Being reduced to possible killers of children in virtue of their behavior.

This ain't a slippery slope. If you are willing to start altering people's behavior in virtue theoretical and unknown results of behavior, then let's get serious.

I thought that the Church taught that human personhood begins at conception, not at implantation.  Huh

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

I thought that the Church taught that human personhood begins at conception, not at implantation.  Huh
"The Church" does not have an authoritative statement about the issue.

Folks may throw around a few Bible verses or quotes from the Fathers that don't exactly say this but they say do.

But, to paraphrase a fellow who isn't much liked around here, it's all a matter too far above my paygrade to argue. I suppose that's why I probably fall on the conservative end of this one. Erring on the side of caution and all that.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »

But, to paraphrase a fellow who isn't much liked around here, it's all a matter too far above my paygrade to argue
So is the Trinity, so is the incarnation, but I can still have belief on it. Same with abortion. Im not doctor, but I believe life begins at conception.

PP

Gregory the Great
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: