OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often...  (Read 2477 times) Average Rating: 0
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »

See here we go...people, ethnic, geographic,tradition, i belive do it diffrently.

Fasting for me (personaly) lasts a week, with varying degrees as sunday approaches.

For example:
Mon - wed = NO MEAT
Thur = NO FISH (and no meat)
Fri = NO EGG & DAIRY (and no fish or meat)
Sat = NO OIL (and no dairy, egg, meat, of fish) -this is the hardest day for me.
BTW: Sat night 6 p.m. until receiving, nothing goes in your stomach. I understand others do this at midnight,

I would be very interested to find out how others fast for communion?

Our priest told us that the above regime is the yiayia fasting protocol that was (past tense) followed during the days of the Ottman Empire. It is definitely more strict than the Mt. Athos fasting protocol.

WHAT!!!

Are you all saying what im doing is not necessary?

ok so i understand correctly, then when you guys say that you fast from midnight, you mean that you eat no food from mid night Saturday until you receive comunion?

So basically the fast is from saturday midnight until you go to church and receive comunion on sunday morning.

If thats the case~THEN~~~I demand a refund/credit for what i have been doing all my life!

Waaaaaa Cry

It is forbidden to do xerophagic fast (from oil) on all saturdays except Great Saturday.  There is one exception--penitents.  If you have been abstaining regularly from Communion for the most part, then you are by definition of the canons in the category of epitimia, so you need no refund.   This whole subject has been dealt with on other threads.   But of course, we have to tread over the same territory over and over and over and over again.   Roll Eyes     
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »

this is so enlightening.

We/I just cant get over the fact that the "Greek orthodox archdioces of america" recommends on its web site...

and i qote "On the morning before going to the Divine Liturgy to receive Communion we do not eat or drink anything"

So all nowa days that is asked it to "not eat breakfast"!<<<<--This is not fasting!

Thats like going to the docdor to have a blood test?!?!?!?

Its very sad actually.

I think i hijacked this thread too much, sorry. i will start a new one after i read the link to another thread provided by Irish hermit.

Just cant get over how our church had deteriorated.

I would imagine that this is based on the American diet of Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner and then nothing after that last meal and going to sleep before midnight. 

If you assume your congregation is following this very popular diet/sleep schedule, reminding people to not eat breakfast before coming to DL is basically saying, "Don't eat after midnight the night before."

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »

I try to recieve every Sunday.

I am not worthy, every Sunday.  I'm never worthy of recieving Christ.  Cry  When I receive Holy Communion, I can feel a change in myself.  It's very hard to explain, but I feel Him in my heart. 

When I don't receive communion, I feel absolutely offal.  I feel more tired, I get sick, and I start to get an attitude where I really don't care about anything.  I don't know how people can go without Him for more than a few weeks, I would literally die.

EDIT: I once stayed at a monastery where there was liturgy everyday, as well as confession.  I only spent three days there, but to be able to confess and receive Christ every day was absolutely wonderful.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:25:56 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »

I am not worthy, every Sunday.  I'm never worthy of recieving Christ.  Cry  When I receive Holy Communion, I can feel a change in myself.  It's very hard to explain, but I feel Him in my heart. 

When I don't receive communion, I feel absolutely offal.  I feel more tired, I get sick, and I start to get an attitude where I really don't care about anything.  I don't know how people can go without Him for more than a few weeks, I would literally die.

EDIT: I once stayed at a monastery where there was liturgy everyday, as well as confession.  I only spent three days there, but to be able to confess and receive Christ every day was absolutely wonderful.

Which monastery were you at?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 02:18:45 AM »

Which monastery were you at?

The one up in Lake George with only one nun.  My old Spiritual Father used to be the chaplain, and he took me with him when he served there once a month.  It was a great experience.

It's not too far from you.  You should go if you have a chance, you'll love Mother Cassiana.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »

For me it's obvious to receive Holy Communion on the Great Feasts and very frequently during fasts and on some "usual" Sundays. Of course it would be very beneficious and proper to receive every Sunday (if you fasts on Wednesdays and Fridays and you prepare yourself by the canon before Communion and fasting from midnight), but in my case, I've just began the journey to the salvation in Orthodoxy, so I know I have to work on my patience and not to do everything at once. I have to wait more time to be able (well, maybe it's not proper word) to receive every Sunday during non-fasting periods.

I have similar feelings... After receiving the Eucharist, I really experience the grace of God and I'm more able to see my sins and fight with them. And I realize then I'm the part of the Church which is the Body of Christ.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »

hi james rottnek, the fast of ninevah (or jonah) was started by the syriac orthodox church (i think in the 300's) and then taken on by other orthodox churches. it commemorates how the people of ninevah fasted for 3 days following the preaching of jonah. the story is found in the book of jonah in the old testament.
we also fast and pray, asking God to forgive our sins. it comes about 2 weeks before the start of great lent.
 Smiley
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »

I too have noticed this myself.  It is much easier to fall into complacency and sin when not having the strength of Christ within us.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »

...do you participate in the Holy Eucharist?
In the first centuries, the Eucharist was in the center of life of every christian. It was a manner on which every of them confirmed that he is a member of the Body of Christ.

At every liturgy I attend, provided I've been able to prepare myself properly.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 03:39:16 AM »

hi james rottnek, the fast of ninevah (or jonah) was started by the syriac orthodox church (i think in the 300's) and then taken on by other orthodox churches. it commemorates how the people of ninevah fasted for 3 days following the preaching of jonah. the story is found in the book of jonah in the old testament.
we also fast and pray, asking God to forgive our sins. it comes about 2 weeks before the start of great lent.
 Smiley

Thank you.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: