OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy of Word and Water  (Read 901 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: January 27, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »

Please, what is a Liturgy of Word and Water?

"Most Rev. Michael Jackson, Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin will celebrate a Liturgy of Word and Water."

From the official website of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress, to be held in Dublin from June 10 to 17, 2012

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/01/50th-international-eucharistic-congress.html
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »

"Most Rev. Michael Jackson, Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin will celebrate a Liturgy of Word and Water."

From the official website of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress, to be held in Dublin from June 10 to 17, 2012

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/01/50th-international-eucharistic-congress.html

An ecumenical liturgy of word and water, whatever it is, sounds like something that Metropolitan Hilarion should not be involved in. I wonder why the Russian Orthodox Church is allowing for this. No good can come from having one of our high-ranking bishops giving a homily at what will likely be some abominable perversion of the true liturgy. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see before coming to rash judgments. At the very least, Metropolitan Hilarion won't be the 'celebrant' at this service.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:55:53 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

This is disturbing.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »

Since it is being celebrated by the Anglican Archbishop of Dublin perhaps one of our resident Anglicans know?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »

Since it is being celebrated by the Anglican Archbishop of Dublin perhaps one of our resident Anglicans know?

Yes.  It seems this is more appropriate for some other section on the Forum.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »

Yes.  It seems this is more appropriate for some other section on the Forum.

It is a regular major Catholic international event to which on this occasion guests from other Churches have been invited, including the Russian Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk. 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:33:37 PM »

An ecumenical liturgy of word and water, whatever it is, sounds like something that Metropolitan Hilarion should not be involved in. I wonder why the Russian Orthodox Church is allowing for this. No good can come from having one of our high-ranking bishops giving a homily at what will likely be some abominable perversion of the true liturgy. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see before coming to rash judgments. At the very least, Metropolitan Hilarion won't be the 'celebrant' at this service.

I realise that Metropolitan Hilarion is neither Protestant nor Catholic. He has spoken before of the Russian Church's acknowledgement of the validity of Roman Catholic Sacraments.  I see he will be speaking at this Catholic Eucharistic Congress and it will be interesting to hear what he says.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:47:46 AM »

Well, looking in the 2004 Irish BCP, there is a form for a Liturgy of the Word. It's basically a framework for antecommunion; in fact, you could do either 1979 Eucharistic service up to the piece and fulfill this form exactly. The point of this form is to give you something to go by when you need to roll up a service that doesn't fit into the the normal office or communion mold-- say, if you're doing an ecumenical service.

I can only guess at what the "water" part of this would be. I would guess that maybe it involves blessing of water and asperges. Possibly it would be renewal of baptismal vows, which involves repeating the Apostles Creed, the renunciations, and the promises of the modern Anglican baptismal rite.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

I can only guess at what the "water" part of this would be. I would guess that maybe it involves blessing of water and asperges. Possibly it would be renewal of baptismal vows, which involves repeating the Apostles Creed, the renunciations, and the promises of the modern Anglican baptismal rite.

That would make sense. I think we'll have to wait to find out.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: