OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:40:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Scripture commentary  (Read 540 times) Average Rating: 0
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 11, 2012, 10:58:02 PM »

I was wondering if there is something equivalent to say an Orthodox version of a Haydock Bible or a Catena Aurea. Im looking for say a whole Canon or at least New Testament.

I have one of Theophylact's gospels which is okay, but its just him and just the Gospel. I also know of the Holy Apostles Covenant NT, and I hear good things (except the stuttering translation but I dont mind. I have a AV for fairly accurate AND Literary readings) but is that the only one?

KS
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture has many commentaries from the first thousand years of Church history.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
KShaft

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture has many commentaries from the first thousand years of Church history.

Yeah I thought this was only an online thing and it was done by protestants? Or am I wrong?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »

Yeah I thought this was only an online thing and it was done by protestants? Or am I wrong?

I was under the impression that it wasn't a commentary so much as a florilegium*... just quotes from various Church Fathers. I do think it was put together by Protestants, so that bias might be there in the quotation selection (as opposed to Orthodox or Catholic bias). After that I'm not sure that there is anything like what you're asking for, though fwiw we do have this thread.

*Sorry, I like using that 10-cent word when I have the opportunity!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »

The ACCOS was compiled by a group of not just Protestants. An Orthodox priest wrote an intro to one of the books. It's in book form, not online. All the volumes can be purchased through Amazon. It is a compilation of patristic texts alongside passages from Scripture. That's it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
KShaft

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:19 PM »

The ACCOS was compiled by a group of not just Protestants. An Orthodox priest wrote an intro to one of the books. It's in book form, not online. All the volumes can be purchased through Amazon. It is a compilation of patristic texts alongside passages from Scripture. That's it.

Thanks for all that!

KS
KShaft

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »

I found this on Monachos.net

"I have a number of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture. First of all, they do NOT represent an Orthodox viewpoint. They are produced by InterVarsity Press, which is an evangelical protestant publishing company. The two editors are Gerald Bray, an Anglican professor in the USA, and Thomas Oden, who is Professor at a theological college in New Jersey, USA.

Secondly, they contain excerpts from writers who are not considered to be Orthodox by the Orthodox. For example, the commentary on Romans contains excerpts from Origen, Pelagius and Theodore of Mopsuestia. Thus, they show the broad range of ancient thinking on a topic, and not just the Orthodox.

Having said that they are not explicitly Orthodox, they do contain excerpts from people such as St John Chrysostom and St Ignatius, and of course much of the writings of people such as Origen and Theodore still contain much that can benefit us (I suppose, use with caution).

However, overall, I found them a little disappointing. Sometimes, they seem to miss the point of what the Father was trying to say. At the start of each section is an overview of what the passage 'means' and what the Fathers as a whole said about it; again, sometimes I personally found this misleading. And of course, the selection can imply (by omission) a universality of thought among the Fathers which is again sometimes misleading.

I hope this information is useful.

Yours in Christ,

Jonathan"

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: