OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 02:52:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closer to Orthodoxy?  (Read 2613 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »

I didn't buy Hart's article back when I was RC

Could you say more about this?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

Quote from: podkarpatska

The only Roman Catholics who would take the position that Orthodoxy and Protestantism are 'extremely close....' are those who would argue forcefully that outside of the Church of Rome there can be no salvation. Correct me if I am in error, but I was under the impression that this does not reflect the teaching of the Church of Rome - although many who profess to be Catholic hold to said opinion.

As far as I know, you are correct in this.

You may be right, but I'd like to see for myself. Can either of you provide back-up for "The only Roman Catholics who would take the position that Orthodoxy and Protestantism are 'extremely close....' are those who would argue forcefully that outside of the Church of Rome there can be no salvation."?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »

You want to cut through the cr*p? Ignore most of the current "theologians", and spend a year keeping your eyes and ears open to a year of the Orthodox liturgical cycle - DLs, Vespers, Matins, Compline, Triodion, Pentecostarion, etc, as well as other services such as weddings, funerals, supplicatory services, akathists, ordinations, unction, etc. Immerse yourself in what is read, chanted and sung. Examine and absorb the iconography. Only then can Orthodoxy truly be compared to other denominations. It won't take long to realize the depth of difference between Orthodoxy and any other Christian denomination.

Amen, Amen, Amen.

Unless the theologian is dead, glorified, and lauded by the Church as a teacher of the faith, I greet him with the sound of one hand clapping, accompanied by crickets and the salmon of doubt.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water, I see.
No You don't see.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »

You want to cut through the cr*p? Ignore most of the current "theologians", and spend a year keeping your eyes and ears open to a year of the Orthodox liturgical cycle - DLs, Vespers, Matins, Compline, Triodion, Pentecostarion, etc, as well as other services such as weddings, funerals, supplicatory services, akathists, ordinations, unction, etc. Immerse yourself in what is read, chanted and sung. Examine and absorb the iconography. Only then can Orthodoxy truly be compared to other denominations. It won't take long to realize the depth of difference between Orthodoxy and any other Christian denomination.

Amen, Amen, Amen.

Unless the theologian is dead, glorified, and lauded by the Church as a teacher of the faith, I greet him with the sound of one hand clapping, accompanied by crickets and the salmon of doubt.

No You don't see.
You are in no position to know whether that is true, o prideful one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:49:55 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »

Amen, Amen, Amen.

No You don't see.
Actually in this case, he IS in position to say that if the judgment you posted of him is wrong.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »

Amen, Amen, Amen.

No You don't see.
Actually in this case, he IS in position to say that if the judgment you posted of him is wrong.
I don't think that was the meaning of the statement. If he meant that he does not throw modern theologians out of the window (regardless of their quality, hence throwing the baby out with the bathwater), then he is free to say so plainly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:16:59 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

Quote from: podkarpatska

The only Roman Catholics who would take the position that Orthodoxy and Protestantism are 'extremely close....' are those who would argue forcefully that outside of the Church of Rome there can be no salvation. Correct me if I am in error, but I was under the impression that this does not reflect the teaching of the Church of Rome - although many who profess to be Catholic hold to said opinion.

As far as I know, you are correct in this.

You may be right, but I'd like to see for myself. Can either of you provide back-up for "The only Roman Catholics who would take the position that Orthodoxy and Protestantism are 'extremely close....' are those who would argue forcefully that outside of the Church of Rome there can be no salvation."?

Anyone want to help biro and podkarpatska out here?

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »

I think that Roman Catholicism is closest to Eastern Orthodox Christianity because both churches accept the doctrine of the 7 Ecumenical Synods (Councils), which are the bodies that documented Christian doctrine, the matters of faith that must be accepted for salvation.  Appearances and nuanced doctrinal interpretations cannot be substituted for the church's doctrine.  Note that I only said "closest," because the Church of Rome has deviated from the purity of this doctrine.  The Anglican Church's earliest beliefs are closer to Roman Catholicism than to Orthodoxy, of course; their subsequent doctrinal interpretations, even the fact that they can revise or modify church doctrine, keeps them closer to Roman Catholicism than to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:31:48 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

Winter, a house in a remote are. Darkly and coldly everywhere around and warmly inside the house. There are a few people outside. Some of them are far from the house, some - closer and some already stay in from of the entrance doors but all of them suffer from the cold the very same way.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »

I think that Roman Catholicism is closest to Eastern Orthodox Christianity because both churches accept the doctrine of the 7 Ecumenical Synods (Councils), which are the bodies that documented Christian doctrine, the matters of faith that must be accepted for salvation.

Do you believe, then, that Anglo-Catholics don't accept the doctrines of the 7 Ecumenical Councils?

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Faith: Recovering Orthodox though spiritually wounded

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »

I think that Roman Catholicism is closest to Eastern Orthodox Christianity because both churches accept the doctrine of the 7 Ecumenical Synods (Councils), which are the bodies that documented Christian doctrine, the matters of faith that must be accepted for salvation.  Appearances and nuanced doctrinal interpretations cannot be substituted for the church's doctrine.  Note that I only said "closest," because the Church of Rome has deviated from the purity of this doctrine.  The Anglican Church's earliest beliefs are closer to Roman Catholicism than to Orthodoxy, of course; their subsequent doctrinal interpretations, even the fact that they can revise or modify church doctrine, keeps them closer to Roman Catholicism than to Orthodoxy.

Do we believe in the same 7 ecumenical councils? I was under the impression, perhaps false, that there was a disagreement on which 7 make up the ecumenical councils.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »

Do we believe in the same 7 ecumenical councils? I was under the impression, perhaps false, that there was a disagreement on which 7 make up the ecumenical councils.
I'm not aware of any such disagreement.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »

On wiki it says that the RCC does not accept the Quinisext Council also known as the council in Trullo. Is this an issue for the Orthodox?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »

Catholics and Eastern Orthodox agree on those (although Catholics would call them "the first 7").

(Possibly you're thinking of disagreement regarding the Fourth Council of Constantinople, but that isn't one of the seven anyhow.)

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »

On wiki it says that the RCC does not accept the Quinisext Council also known as the council in Trullo. Is this an issue for the Orthodox?
Yes.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »

Catholics and Eastern Orthodox agree on those (although Catholics would call them "the first 7").

(Possibly you're thinking of disagreement regarding the Fourth Council of Constantinople, but that isn't one of the seven anyhow.)

Yes, that is what I was thinking about. Thanks.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: