OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 01:04:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House Blessing Question  (Read 2358 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »

First - call or email your priest and tell him you have no idea what to expect and ask him what you need to have ready for him.  If he's no help, call Matushka or a deacon or someone you know from the parish.  

You should have holy water that the priest blessed on Theophany.  This is what he will use to bless your house.  A bowl for it to go in.  And  a list of names of those who live in the house so he can pray for your family by name.  A candle and matches.  That's really all you need for the blessing.  My priest also likes to bless all the beds as well as rooms. (including bathrooms and laundry).  

I usually give my priest about $25-30.  But, it might depend on where you live too.   I would think that if it's a mission parish and the priest has full-time job outside of the church, the parish is probably not able to pay him much. Giving him something with that in mind might help you a bit.    I look at it as a honorarium rather than gratuity.    Ask your priest if he has other houses to go to after yours.  

My priest will take a gift of money but turns it into the parish treasurer for the support of the church, this is not the way I have usually seen it done but he always tells the parish that his salary from the parish is all he expects and that any oter gift is to the Church not him as the pastor. He does not allow charges for sacraments or any other sacramentals.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

First - call or email your priest and tell him you have no idea what to expect and ask him what you need to have ready for him.  If he's no help, call Matushka or a deacon or someone you know from the parish.  

You should have holy water that the priest blessed on Theophany.  This is what he will use to bless your house.  A bowl for it to go in.  And  a list of names of those who live in the house so he can pray for your family by name.  A candle and matches.  That's really all you need for the blessing.  My priest also likes to bless all the beds as well as rooms. (including bathrooms and laundry).  

I usually give my priest about $25-30.  But, it might depend on where you live too.   I would think that if it's a mission parish and the priest has full-time job outside of the church, the parish is probably not able to pay him much. Giving him something with that in mind might help you a bit.    I look at it as a honorarium rather than gratuity.    Ask your priest if he has other houses to go to after yours.  

My priest will take a gift of money but turns it into the parish treasurer for the support of the church, this is not the way I have usually seen it done but he always tells the parish that his salary from the parish is all he expects and that any oter gift is to the Church not him as the pastor. He does not allow charges for sacraments or any other sacramentals.

Please, all of you out there, keep in mind that the salary structure of Orthodox Clergy in both GOARCH and the Antiochian Archdiocese is considerably more support of a priest and his family than are the minimums established by many of the Churches with Slavic roots, including the OCA, ACROD, UOC and others. Don't judge your pastor or his needs necessarily by what you read here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:54:44 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »

Don't forget to give him 20 dollars or so, for gas and such.  Canon law says (somewhere, I don't have the book handy) that a person can give a priest up to a day wages to help him get around and such.  Makes sense, gas is very expensive, ,priests aren't paid a whole lot and if the gas comes out of their pocket that means their wife and kids may have less to eat.  So everyone I know automatically gives the priest 20 bucks or so (depending on how far he's coming) to cover his travel expenses when he visits the hospital, blesses homes, etc..  It's not that we are paying him for services, it's just fair for his family to get some extra money to be able to not eat crackers and water alone. Smiley

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

While your Antiochian church or Greek Orthdox church might pay the priest enough to be able to afford luxury items such as up-sizing a value meal Slavic churches don't pay their priests enough for even this small luxury. 
I know a total convert parish in the south that pays the priest 36k and he has a gaggle of kids.  No one thinks they should give him twenty or thirty bucks if he drives an hour to bless the house. 
They say his total financial needs are covered by the 36k a year and it's on him to pay for gas, etc.. to do his works.

I am not going to tell you how much most Slavic (Serb, Russians [including OCA], Carpatho-russians, Ukrainians) get paid.  But please give the priest some money. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

Maybe some people have the impression that certain evil and dirty and nasty places can't be blessed, like bathrooms, or college dorm rooms Wink

Well, if a place is dirty and evil, then I can't think of a better reason to bless that space...

But then again, I have been accused of being 'out of step' with the thinking of others.

So would you bless a bathroom then? Would you be offended by someone who had an icon in the bathroom? Most people seemed to be against it, though I still would not have a problem with it (though I don't currently have one in there  angel ).

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »

While your Antiochian church or Greek Orthdox church might pay the priest enough to be able to afford luxury items such as up-sizing a value meal Slavic churches don't pay their priests enough for even this small luxury. 
I know a total convert parish in the south that pays the priest 36k and he has a gaggle of kids.  No one thinks they should give him twenty or thirty bucks if he drives an hour to bless the house. 
They say his total financial needs are covered by the 36k a year and it's on him to pay for gas, etc.. to do his works.

I am not going to tell you how much most Slavic (Serb, Russians [including OCA], Carpatho-russians, Ukrainians) get paid.  But please give the priest some money. 

The Slavs love to count the 'compensation' that is akin to that of Cinderella. When the clock strikes 12 and the priest either has to retire or, God forbid, he dies a young man with children and a widow.....that 'compensation' and a dollar will let you buy an item off of the dollar menu in a state without sales tax. Not to mention that most parishes literally push the widow out into the street in eager anticipation of the 'new' priest.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »

Maybe some people have the impression that certain evil and dirty and nasty places can't be blessed, like bathrooms, or college dorm rooms Wink

Well, if a place is dirty and evil, then I can't think of a better reason to bless that space...

But then again, I have been accused of being 'out of step' with the thinking of others.

So would you bless a bathroom then? Would you be offended by someone who had an icon in the bathroom? Most people seemed to be against it, though I still would not have a problem with it (though I don't currently have one in there  angel ).

Yes, I would bless a bathroom....In fact, I have been trained to specifically do so due to other circumstances that I will not divulge.

I do take care that I do not sprinkle holy water down any drain or towards any item that may drain to a sewer. I have never found a bathroom so small that a cross cannot be made in holy water on a wall somewhere.

And, since I keep getting questions about it, I have been trained to bless every room or area in the dwelling, such as crawlspaces, attics, and doorways. Pets and vehicles are also blessed.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
fasteddy64

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

Ok, my house is blessed! I also asked the Priest if he would bless our RV which he gladly did for us as well.

We had a nice visit afterwards, we gave him a gift of a nice bottle of wine. It was a very nice evening.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »

Ok, my house is blessed! I also asked the Priest if he would bless our RV which he gladly did for us as well.

We had a nice visit afterwards, we gave him a gift of a nice bottle of wine. It was a very nice evening.

Hooray! Glory to God!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »

Sounds good  Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Tags: house blessing 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: