OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:26:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nashville Christian activist questions scope of anti-bullying law  (Read 1796 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »

I would, in all seriousness, like to say the following:

Anti-bullying laws will never work. There will always be bullies (just like there will always be poverty, hunger, injustice, hatred, prejudice, murder, rape, etc. this side of paradise) and there isnt a law that can change it.

The only way to stop a bully is to stand up to him/her. Telling a teacher, making a law, being nice, giving in, or anything else is a fool's errand. All this other nonsense, is exactly that; nonsense.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »

Anti-bullying laws will never work. There will always be bullies (just like there will always be poverty, hunger, injustice, hatred, prejudice, murder, rape, etc. this side of paradise) and there isnt a law that can change it.

The only way to stop a bully is to stand up to him/her. Telling a teacher, making a law, being nice, giving in, or anything else is a fool's errand. All this other nonsense, is exactly that; nonsense.

PP

And when, after standing up to said bully, the big bully of the school or whatever bullies the one who stood up for himself, what then? I'm all for standing up for oneself, however there is a lot that can be done on the part of administration to address the underlying causes of bullying through education, restorative practices, and, when necessary, punishment.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

PP

And when, after standing up to said bully, the big bully of the school or whatever bullies the one who stood up for himself, what then? I'm all for standing up for oneself, however there is a lot that can be done on the part of administration to address the underlying causes of bullying through education, restorative practices, and, when necessary, punishment.
The underlying causes of bullies being bullies are because they're <ahem>-holes and need to be taught.....a lesson.
This touchy feely crap never works, never has, and never will. Bullies dont want understanding, they want to step on people because they can.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »

Most of us on this board have been bullied at some time or another in our life. However, the differance for students today, versus 15 or 20+ years ago is technology.

It's not just being teased on the playground for being (fill in the blank with whatever reason a bully can come up with); it is an incessent barrage of negative messages through texts, email, facebook, twitter, Google+, etc.

Bullies now have the technology and abilities to send a message 24 hours a day that "You are a hated and despised human being, and your life is worth nothing."

This is really not a good excuse.  If you allow people who bully you to know your e-mail address (and keep in mind you must choose to click "open" on an e-mail to read its contents), to have your cell-phone number, to be friends with you on Facebook, to follow you on Twitter, and be in your Google+ network, you have a serious problem.  You evidently enjoy being bullied or are in the same situation as the woman who refuses to leave her abusive husband because "he really is a good man at heart."  

Technology of the last decade very, very, very rarely permits a bully to have any extra time to torment you, unless you let it.  Bullies find out your e-mail address and won't leave you alone?  Change it.  Bullies contact you on Facebook?  Report them and unfriend them.   Bullies physically intimidating and/or threatening you?  Contact police.

Bullying laws are unnecessary and will do no good.  If people would simply enforce existing laws (like the ones that say "Hey, it's not a good idea to move your fist at 20 MPH toward that gay guy's face") then we would not have serious bullying (of course, mocking of other children would still go on - but it always will, forever, and ever, and there's nothing you can ever do about it).  Anti-bullying laws will only wind up getting people in trouble when they've really done nothing wrong, at all.  

For instance, when I was in, I believe, the sixth grade, there was another child with whom I would regularly get into verbal name calling.  This was not really bullying, however, because it was merely an extension of debates and disagreements we would have.  We did not take to heart what the other called us, nor were we ever hurt in some emotional and mental way over this.  However, there was one time when - because of the district's anti-bullying policies - we were both called to the Vice-Principal's office.  It took probably an hour to convince her that neither one of us really needed to be in trouble because neither one of us felt bullied.

With the rise of anti-bullying laws, people will get in legal trouble who should not be.  What we need to do is to enforce existing laws.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:07:15 PM by JamesRottnek » Logged

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

PP

So what do you advize we teachers to do, step back and take bets? I'm sure the parents would LOVE that Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:31:05 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »

So what do you advize we teachers to do, step back and take bets? I'm sure the parents would LOVE that Wink
As a parent, I'd prefer that teachers and school administrators focus more on identifying bullying and stopping it...and much less time trying to decide if it was directed against a "special group" or not.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As a parent, I'd prefer that teachers and school administrators focus more on identifying bullying and stopping it...and much less time trying to decide if it was directed against a "special group" or not.

I can agree with that, but some folks here have seemed to suggest a "let the students fend for themselves" approach which I find a bit distasteful if not appalling.  The "trying to decide" part is a part of "identifying bullying and stopping it" because if a "special group" is being targeted or bullying, we need to by definition identify this situation and resolve it.  We use this method so that we can teach, not just police.  We teach tolerance, respect, and empathy proactively rather then simply reacting to every instance playing good cop-bad cop about things Smiley

Understand that at least in my classroom, there is NO bullying period, be it against a special group or anyone.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »

rstand that at least in my classroom, there is NO bullying period, be it against a special group or anyone
Thats the way it should be. But the law singles people out by their classification. That does nothing for anyone.

PP

Gregory the Great

Tags: tennessee  south  gay rights  bullying  law 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: