OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:19:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does your church offer Sunday School?  If so, when is it offered?
Yes - 17 (44.7%)
No - 0 (0%)
During the Liturgy - 0 (0%)
Prior to Liturgy - 7 (18.4%)
After the Eucharist - 14 (36.8%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Documentary claims age-graded Sunday school harms families  (Read 902 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: January 09, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »

From another post, there was discussion about whether Sunday School was maybe not such a good idea.  I don't know how many Orthodox parishes have Sunday school, but if your parish does, please indicate that as well as when the Sunday school goes on.  Also, if your parish does not offer Sunday school, can you offer reasons why.  Please also include which jurisdiction you belong to. Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »

For me, I belong to an Antiochian church.

The children begin Sunday school around the same time that Orthros begins and then are dismissed in time for the beginning of Liturgy (sometime before 10).  Before, we've had the Sunday school kids receive the Eucharist first and then dismissed for Sunday school, but I guess that was voted down because the teachers wanted to be able to come to coffee hour to socialize and eat.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »

My parish does Sunday School after the first liturgy and during the second liturgy.

Edit: I guess I should add, my parish is part of the GOA, as my profile would suggest.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:54:11 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
lord doog

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »

I'm Coptic and I serve in two parishes, one starting up and one already established.

In the established church, we have Sunday School after the liturgy ends when the priest gives his sermon in arabic for the older people.

In the church that's starting up, we have Sunday School during the priest's sermon after reading the Gospel.

“Many times I spoke, and as a result felt sorry, but I never regretted my silence.”  -Saint Arsenius the Great
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

My parish does Sunday School after the first liturgy and during the second liturgy.

Edit: I guess I should add, my parish is part of the GOA, as my profile would suggest.

What do you mean by "first liturgy" and "second liturgy?"

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
From another post, there was discussion about whether Sunday School was maybe not such a good idea.  I don't know how many Orthodox parishes have Sunday school, but if your parish does, please indicate that as well as when the Sunday school goes on.  Also, if your parish does not offer Sunday school, can you offer reasons why.  Please also include which jurisdiction you belong to. Thanks.

I both teach and am involved with curriculum design and implementation with our clergy at our my parish and we adore our program and what good it does.

Sunday school teaches the children the depth of their faith and the meaning of their culture while also integrating them into the parish while building a stronger community of families through fellowship and mutual bonding.  Further, our kids get the opportunity to ask really deep questions in a forum that is facilitating their spiritual and emotional development.  Especially for the older kids like teenagers and young adults, a Sunday school or Youth ministry demonstrates to the kids a powerful image and symbol that they have their own uniquely adapted place in the Church and the community, and that the Church is there trying to work best for their needs directly, it is very encouraging, motivating, and inspiring for them.

Also in Orthodox tradition and especially Ethiopia, the Sunday School has been the only school, and so it has brought the value of education to most believers across history.  Today in our modern era we tend to have reliable public education and good teachers out there, so the Church can now better focus on spiritual development and religious education.

That is my testimony as an educator within my Church community, I cherish the role and I learn from the experience more than any of my students Smiley

stay blessed,
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:41:32 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »

Antiochian, and before the Liturgy during Orthros (as I stated in the other thread).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
From another post, there was discussion about whether Sunday School was maybe not such a good idea.  I don't know how many Orthodox parishes have Sunday school, but if your parish does, please indicate that as well as when the Sunday school goes on.  Also, if your parish does not offer Sunday school, can you offer reasons why.  Please also include which jurisdiction you belong to. Thanks.

I both teach and am involved with curriculum design and implementation with our clergy at our my parish and we adore our program and what good it does.

Sunday school teaches the children the depth of their faith and the meaning of their culture while also integrating them into the parish while building a stronger community of families through fellowship and mutual bonding.  Further, our kids get the opportunity to ask really deep questions in a forum that is facilitating their spiritual and emotional development.  Especially for the older kids like teenagers and young adults, a Sunday school or Youth ministry demonstrates to the kids a powerful image and symbol that they have their own uniquely adapted place in the Church and the community, and that the Church is there trying to work best for their needs directly, it is very encouraging, motivating, and inspiring for them.

Also in Orthodox tradition and especially Ethiopia, the Sunday School has been the only school, and so it has brought the value of education to most believers across history.  Today in our modern era we tend to have reliable public education and good teachers out there, so the Church can now better focus on spiritual development and religious education.

That is my testimony as an educator within my Church community, I cherish the role and I learn from the experience more than any of my students Smiley

stay blessed,

^that's all well and good but that is not the information I'm trying to collect.  I got that you have Sunday school, but when is this done? This post would be better posted on the thread regarding that documentary which is in the Orthodox-Protestant Discussion Board.

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »

What do you mean by "first liturgy" and "second liturgy?"

My parish is incredibly large, as many GOA parishes are (I believe it's the the highest financial contributor in our entire metropolis, and possibly even in the entire GOA). We have four priests, two altars and we serve two liturgies on most Sundays (excluding major feasts, like Pascha, Pentecost, Christmas, Theophany, etc., when there is only one liturgy).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:45:07 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

^I assume you serve the first liturgy at one altar and the second liturgy at the second altar, correct?

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

^I assume you serve the first liturgy at one altar and the second liturgy at the second altar, correct?

Of course, otherwise there would be an unstoppable torrent of letters to the metropolitan, no doubt. laugh We also don't let the priests who served the first liturgy serve at the second one (or rather, the dean would never allow for such a potential abuse).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:58:33 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »

From another post, there was discussion about whether Sunday School was maybe not such a good idea.  I don't know how many Orthodox parishes have Sunday school, but if your parish does, please indicate that as well as when the Sunday school goes on.  Also, if your parish does not offer Sunday school, can you offer reasons why.  Please also include which jurisdiction you belong to. Thanks.

Our parish has Church School before the Liturgy when the Hours are being read.    We tried all different ways but this turned out the best way so far.  We once had it after the Liturgy. The priest would postpone the sermon to the end, and just as he started the sermon, the children and teachers would leave for class.  Now, it is before Liturgy and sometimes causes the service to start late, but that's better than rearranging the service so some can leave early.  (It also lets latecomers participate in more of the service.)

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »

One of the parishes I attend does Sunday school after the Liturgy - during the coffee hour - (in Diocese and Warsaw and Bielsk Podlaski) and the second one doesn't (in Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk) because there are Orthodox religious classes in every school in Białystok there are Orthodox religion classes (with an exception of schools rub by the RCC).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:25:52 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

stay blessed,

^that's all well and good but that is not the information I'm trying to collect.  I got that you have Sunday school, but when is this done? This post would be better posted on the thread regarding that documentary which is in the Orthodox-Protestant Discussion Board.
I answered on the survey, after Eucharist during the priest's sermon before the dismissal Smiley

I just added my two-cents as a positive testimony to preemptive witness against the naysayers out there.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »

My parish has Sunday School immediately following the Eucharist. We are UOC-USA.

When I was a kid, Sunday School was immediately after Liturgy. (We got to sit through the entire thing, imagine that!)

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »

Our OCA parish has Sunday School after Liturgy and after coffee hour (which is actually brunch or lunch).

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »

For me, I belong to an Antiochian church.

The children begin Sunday school around the same time that Orthros begins and then are dismissed in time for the beginning of Liturgy (sometime before 10).  Before, we've had the Sunday school kids receive the Eucharist first and then dismissed for Sunday school, but I guess that was voted down because the teachers wanted to be able to come to coffee hour to socialize and eat.

And there is a problem with that?

Ours is before the Liturgy with the kids released sometime just after Liturgy starts.  Serbian.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:46:56 PM by Punch » Logged

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »

I did not reply because "after Liturgy" was not presented as an option.  We all go to liturgy together, then go to eat in the hall together, and then have Christian education on full stomachs after having fasted, taken Communion, and eating together. 
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

I did not reply because "after Liturgy" was not presented as an option.  We all go to liturgy together, then go to eat in the hall together, and then have Christian education on full stomachs after having fasted, taken Communion, and eating together. 

I like this way of doing things. More churches should adopt it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:00:35 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

that's how we used to do it in my previous church (coptic). the adults had Bible study with one of the priests at the same time as sunday school, so everyone benefitted.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »

Before, we've had the Sunday school kids receive the Eucharist first and then dismissed for Sunday school,

This is how we do it the OCA church I attend.

[/quote]but I guess that was voted down because the teachers wanted to be able to come to coffee hour to socialize and eat.[/quote]

We don't start coffee hour until after sunday school let's out. Our priest will usually have some sort of post liturgy discussion, usually going over parish news, recent events that may or may not effect the church, or sometimes give additional comments on his sermon for the day.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »

I put after the Eucharist, but actually it is after Divine Liturgy.  We have adult Sunday school as well, with snack time inbetween.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: