OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Catholic vs Christian"  (Read 4281 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »

I think part of the reason that you have Catholics drawing a distinction between "Catholic" and "Christian" is that Protestants don't typically refer to themselves as "Protestant." When asked what religion they belong to, a Protestant will likely say that they are Christian, but a Catholic will say that they are Catholic. Also, in my experience it is rare for Protestants to know what beliefs and teachings belong specifically to their particular denomination, so they tend to label all of their beliefs as "Christian." Catholics, on the other hand, tend to label things from the Catechism and Magisterium as specifically "Catholic" beliefs as opposed to broadly saying they are "Christian" teachings. I think that type of labeling puts a lot of Catholics in the mindset that Catholic is one thing and Christian is something else.

Good point. Another thing worth noting is that when catholics -- in the general sense of Catholics, EOs, OOs, Anglicans, Lutherans, and a few smaller groups -- answer the question, they don't say "I'm catholic [in the general sense]", rather they would either say "I'm Christian" or (more likely) would specify EO, OO, Anglican etc.

Likewise, when protestants answer the question, they don't say "I'm protestant", rather they would either say "I'm Christian" or would specify Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:03:52 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 06:23:32 PM »

LCMS/WELS Lutherans have a favorable attitude towards both Orthodox and Catholics.

I don't know how they feel about Orthodox, but I definitely would not call the WELS attitude toward Catholicism "favorable".  Shocked

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

LCMS/WELS Lutherans have a favorable attitude towards both Orthodox and Catholics.

I don't know how they feel about Orthodox, but I definitely would not call the WELS attitude toward Catholicism "favorable".  Shocked
Very much true. I remember in school our teachers spoke highly of Orthodoxy. As for Rome....well.....not so much Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »

Very much true. I remember in school our teachers spoke highly of Orthodoxy. As for Rome....well.....not so much Smiley

PP

Oh, were you WELS? I've never been Lutheran at all, but I know when Catholics talk about how "Anti-Catholicism is still alive and well" (no pun intended) WELS is one of the best examples to cite.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »

Missouri actually. however they're pretty anti-rome.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »

Missouri actually. however they're pretty anti-rome.

Gotcha.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the argumentation in tracts like the Death Cookie one are air tight...
HA! One of my favorites. That along with the Jack Chick tract on Dungeons and Dragons: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

That tract must be the best Christmas present that D&D people ever got, b/c it just makes criticism of D&D look fanatical.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:00:07 PM by Peter J » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:43 PM »

In the ALC we never heard of the Orthodox, and not such big fans of the Vatican (which was returned in kind: I recall on Relevant Radio and anti-Luther tract put out in the '50s, or was it the 30's?).  That last thing was changing a bit when I left (I used to be on the ecumenical meetings with the local Vatican parishes  Shocked).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 11:59:18 PM »

In the ALC we never heard of the Orthodox, and not such big fans of the Vatican (which was returned in kind: I recall on Relevant Radio and anti-Luther tract put out in the '50s, or was it the 30's?).  That last thing was changing a bit when I left (I used to be on the ecumenical meetings with the local Vatican parishes  Shocked).

Isa, can you please explain to me how an Arab ended up Lutheran in the first place?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

Isa, can you please explain to me how an Arab ended up Lutheran in the first place?
THAT is a fantastic question.....I immidately though, "wow, that makes sence like an Eskimo Muslim......"

PP

Gregory the Great

Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »

At least the LCMS I grew up with and the LCMS university I attended (which had a strong liturgical-focused Pre-Sem program) had a favorable attitude towards Catholic rubrics, not so much its theology.

The Two Faces of Rome
Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 06:36:41 AM »

It's ironic that many indepedent Baptists Churches don't consider many other Baptist churches Baptist either.   I have definitely heard many times the Catholic vs. Christian statement.  I think I can safely say in most cases "Orthodox" are included n that grouping as well. Most Fundamentalists are just not as familiar with the Eastern Orthodox faith. 

In regard to the silly Jack Chick tracts, when you see them at a laundromat, grocery or another public place, why not replace them with some Catholic or Orthodox literature. Seems fair to me.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

Excuse me for responding to a 2-month old message, but that's a good video. I wonder if someone could make a "Two Faces of Orthodoxy" video? That would be interesting.

truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »

There is a proselyting that has found its way into my home town in the last few years that claims a true Christian is one who accepts a specific gospel. According to this group, one must believe they are saved by grace in an event, once saved always saved sort of way. Accordingly, anyone that believes in something beyond this, in their view, is not a Christian.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

"Innovations" is a loaded word, but Orthodox obviously have problems with Catholic teachings. Why is it surprising that Protestants do too?

Imagine you had a twin brother. You both grew up with each other and always looked out for each other. Now, somewhere along the line, your has an argument with you and decides to go about life on his own without you. And a few years go by, and you happen to run into some random kids on the block, and they keep bashing your brother, telling you how horrible he is, telling you his problems etc. While they may be right about his problems, would they really have a right to point them out when they barely know him and never grew up with him? No. You as the brother would want to be the one to correct him; not some random kids.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »

"Innovations" is a loaded word, but Orthodox obviously have problems with Catholic teachings. Why is it surprising that Protestants do too?

Imagine you had a twin brother. You both grew up with each other and always looked out for each other. Now, somewhere along the line, your has an argument with you and decides to go about life on his own without you. And a few years go by, and you happen to run into some random kids on the block, and they keep bashing your brother, telling you how horrible he is, telling you his problems etc. While they may be right about his problems, would they really have a right to point them out when they barely know him and never grew up with him? No. You as the brother would want to be the one to correct him; not some random kids.
A clever analogy to be sure JamesR. I have said before with all sincerity you are an intelligent well spoken young man of Christ. I mean that with utmost respect.

To challenge your view though could we not say there was one family named The Orthodox. Then due to irreconcilable differences this family separated and a second family named Catholic was formed. That family due to tragic circumstances separated and a third family named Protestant was formed? I’ll stop the family tree there as to go further would make a ridiculously long post!  Wink

My point being that any Protestant ‘bashing’ a Catholic (not very Christian behavior IMHO and I doubt our Lord is pleased when this happens) is not really some random kid. Ugly red headed step brother perhaps?  Cheesy  All kidding aside I would consider say an atheist or Muslim that bash us all the ‘random kid’. Have Protestants not separated from Catholicism as Catholics separated from Orthodoxy? I understand any Orthodox view point that would see Catholic and/or Protestant as brothers gone astray but are we not still brothers in Christ?

In that way perhaps we can find some understanding within our differences and Protestants (as well as Orthodox and Catholic) can stop ‘bashing’ each other and differences can remain just that. Better yet perhaps through understanding differences some may begin to see things differently and come closer to Truth. IDK just thinking out loud here as Protestants ‘bash’ other Protestants too. I just came from a family reunion to which I was accused of being too ‘hung up’ on theology and doctrine. My aunt (non denominational - sola fide) was not really bashing me but considers me as a Wesleyan with interest and respect to Orthodoxy to be a ‘works righteousness’ Christian. Without understanding there is often a closed mind and I could not even explain that I believe Grace is freely given to all and that our works do not earn Grace but simply manifest God’s Grace into reality.

It is easier to witness to a brother than some random kid. You know what I mean? 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »

Hi James. I can see some value in your analogy. In fact, I don't think there's anything wrong with the analogy in-and-of-itself; but it does seem very weak when I look at it in light of my experiences with Orthodox -- e.g. when you guys criticize us for our Westernness.

Grant my take on the analogy is subjective; maybe others will like it more than I.

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »

THAT is a fantastic question.....I immidately though, "wow, that makes sence like an Eskimo Muslim......"

PP
Not that there is anything wrong about an Eskimo Muslim except that his/her theology is flawed and salvation endangered, so the same thing as any other Muslim.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »

This whole division seems like a cultural comparison/schism-break up re-enforcement of us vs. them. Do they believe in Christ and follow Him? Catholic or other, that is a fundamental trait of a Christian.

I saw a video where someone who did not believe in Christ as savior/messiah/divine said that he could theoretically call himself a Christian because he followed the teachings of Christ.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »

I think for many Protestants... the 5 distinctions of a 'true' Christian would be their Doctrine of the 5 Solas... which neither Catholics nor Orthodox can embrace whole cloth.

Failing to fit these narrowly defined definition of what a 'true' Christian is creates the Protestant label that Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox are defacto foreign religions to their brand of Christianity.

After long discussions with Calvinists... I don't actually believe either of us worship the same God. Their vision of God is so at odds with my own... that I fail to see where we are one under the same God.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »

PP
Not that there is anything wrong about an Eskimo Muslim except that his/her theology is flawed and salvation endangered, so the same thing as any other Muslim.

You'll have excuse PP, he's seen too many Starburst commercials.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »

I have to admit, growing up Protestant, there are some very harsh feelings toward the Catholic Church.  The only reason I can believe this is the case is held over angst from the reformation which turned stale and festered into vitriol.  As I became a teen, I met some Catholics and learned they are normal people, not some cult like we were led to believe.  Once grown, the Catholics I met (practicing) were wonderful people for whom I have become very fond.  After becoming Orthodox, I have a new level of respect for the Catholic Church, even if I disagree with her teachings.

The reason Protestants (i.e., Christians) have such a problem with Catholics, in my opinion, is ignorance.  Not stupidity, they simply don’t understand their own history.  I tried very hard to rationalize into becoming Catholic, I liked so much about Catholicism, but I simply was unable to accept everything they taught.

EDIT:  For the record, Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:20:13 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »

Thank God I grew up around normal, healthy, intelligent Protestants and not some anti-Catholic/Catholicism types that spew wrong information about the Christianity of many Catholics.

OrthoMEX

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: GOARCH Metropolis of Detroit

Save the Whales

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »

speaking of anti catholic protestants there is a show called frances and freinds its a live call in show and they routinly say catholism is a cult, that the mass is evil etc. the show is on sonlife brodcasting maybe someone should call them ask what they think of Orthodoxy.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »

speaking of anti catholic protestants there is a show called frances and freinds its a live call in show and they routinly say catholism is a cult, that the mass is evil etc. the show is on sonlife brodcasting maybe someone should call them ask what they think of Orthodoxy.
Or ask them to actually support their claims instead of just tossing around accusations.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »

I've unfortunately been around a lot of the "Catholics aren't Christian" crowd. Not all, but many.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »

I've unfortunately been around a lot of the "Catholics aren't Christian" crowd. Not all, but many.

Sorry to hear that.  I've managed to stay away from them my entire life.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Lucky. Wink
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »

The reason Protestants (i.e., Christians) have such a problem with Catholics, in my opinion, is ignorance.  Not stupidity, they simply don’t understand their own history.

Maybe understanding a bit of their own history is what turned them away from the RCC in the first place.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »

Lucky. Wink

Not always.  Cities have crime people in them.  Wink

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

I don't know how they feel about Orthodox, but I definitely would not call the WELS attitude toward Catholicism "favorable".  Shocked
In the ALC we never heard of the Orthodox, and not such big fans of the Vatican (which was returned in kind: I recall on Relevant Radio and anti-Luther tract put out in the '50s, or was it the 30's?).  That last thing was changing a bit when I left (I used to be on the ecumenical meetings with the local Vatican parishes  Shocked).

Didn't see this before.

Actually, there is a number: the German Empire set up missions in the Middle East that were continued by their co-religionists, for instance.  There is an Arab Lutheran Church in Jerusalem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutheran_Church_of_the_Redeemer,_Jerusalem
in Chicago
http://www.steliaschicago.org/
and elsewhere:
The ELCA currently has 3 Arab and Middle Eastern Congregations. At present, there are 7 Arab and Middle Eastern pastors
http://www.elca.org/Growing-In-Faith/Ministry/Multicultural-Ministries/Ethnic-Ministries/Arab-and-Middle-Eastern.aspx
http://www.elca.org/Growing-In-Faith/Ministry/Multicultural-Ministries/Ethnic-Associations/Association-of-Lutherans-of-Arab-and-Middle-Eastern-Heritage.aspx
including Brooklyn
http://www.elca.org/ELCA/Search/Find-a-Congregation.aspx#&&congrno=4nbj6uoxRQTHtU%2bqbQOdAqbo9O078PfwjcwgpQ%3d%3d
where I just went on pilgrimage (not to Salaamah, but to St. Nicholas Antiochian Cathedral, and to the original, St. Raphael's Cathedral, site of the first Orthodox consecration outside of the Old World, which still stands but is occupied by a Spanish Baptist congregation since the Orthodox moved to the present site. Btw, the neighborhood is still Arab, largely Yemeni to judge by the people I met. It was not the first Arab neighborhood in New York, however, and the site of the first Arab Orthodox Church: that was at 77 Washington, Manhattan, literally five minutes, past Holy Trinity Episcopal (one time practically the American Equivalent of Westminster Abbey) to Wall Street NYSE and Federal Hall, site of the establishment of the present US Government.  Instead of going East from 77 Washington, going North the same distance would land you at the World Trade Center Site: the old Arab Christian Neighborhood, Little Syria, was demolished to erect the Twin Towers, the cornerstone of the old Maronite Church was found amongst the 9/11 rubble.  Ironic
Much of Little Syria was demolished in the 1940s to allow construction of entrance ramps to the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. What was left was bulldozed two decades later to make way for the World Trade Center.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/little-syria-now-tiny-syria-finds-new-advocates/
there's a move to save "Tiny Syria," all that remains of Little Syria. http://www.facebook.com/groups/savewashingtonstreet/)

That's not how I got there though (but I did worship at the Church of the Redeemer when I was in Jerusalem for the first time, less than a year before I embraced Orthodoxy), which was by intermarriage of my ancestors. They say my great mother was killed when her granddaughter, my god-mother, was baptized Lutheran.

Btw, when I went to a school run by a congregation of the Vatican's, I would be asked "I thought you're not Christian."  "No, I'm not Catholic,"  I would reply.  "Well, then you're not Christian," would be their reply.  Different perspective.

In my Lutheran parish, we said "I believe in the Christian Church," never "in the Catholic Church," always "One, Holy, Christian and Apostolic Church."  And the sole exposure I had to the Orthodox was a side mention in our catechism, in the section on Church History (which was not required reading IIRC, but I read it anyways), it said something about the Greek Church breaking off from "the Catholic church."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:52:11 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:37 PM »

I had never heard of "Frances And Friends" before, so I googled it. It's associated with Jimmy Swaggart Ministries ("Frances" is Frances Swaggart, Jimmy's wife). I don't think I need to know much more about it than that.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: