Author Topic: Bishop's visit - one question  (Read 96 times)

Offline Isaac14

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the Midwest
Bishop's visit - one question
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:39 PM »
Hello all!

My mission parish is very soon to be visited by our Bishop. I learned yesterday there is a custom to greet the Bishop with bread and salt. Can anyone say more about this? When does this take place - when he's first arriving, or some other time, like before the Liturgy he serves? Is there a specific greeting used? I'd ask a Priest, but we're currently awaiting assignment of a new Priest. I didn't turn much up with a google search either, so any info, advice, or links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Bishop's visit - one question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:07 PM »
Hello all!

My mission parish is very soon to be visited by our Bishop. I learned yesterday there is a custom to greet the Bishop with bread and salt. Can anyone say more about this? When does this take place - when he's first arriving, or some other time, like before the Liturgy he serves? Is there a specific greeting used? I'd ask a Priest, but we're currently awaiting assignment of a new Priest. I didn't turn much up with a google search either, so any info, advice, or links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Usually when he first comes. However, if he is serving DL, it should be when he comes into the coffee hour/luncheon (I assume you are having one). Usually it is young girls/children who do the presenting. The salt is in a little cup in the middle of the bread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_salt

You should ask an expert, like Liza Symonenko.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Isaac14

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the Midwest
Re: Bishop's visit - one question
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »
Thank you, Isa. Much appreciated.