OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Village  (Read 1375 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: January 06, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »

Question to anyone that has been there...well, 2 questions.

1. Is there fishing there? Im thinking of taking my fam up there in the summer and I was wondering as we're all big fisher-folks.

2. Are there actual services there? Are they mandatory? I ask because my wife has frequent migraines and she sometimes cant go to services with me (yeah, she's going with me now to services, praise God!)

Thanks

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »

There is no such thing as a "mandatory" service.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »

There is no such thing as a "mandatory" service.
In my experience in these kinds of places, yes there is. I've never been to an Orthodox camp, so I wanted to know if it was the same.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

There are services there, though I don't know if they respectfully insist that you attend. ... I live about 10 miles away from the Antiochian village, so I should really know more... sorry!  angel

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »

There are services there, though I don't know if they respectfully insist that you attend. ... I live about 10 miles away from the Antiochian village, so I should really know more... sorry!  angel
Thats ok. That is more of what I was thinking was "respectfully insist". I personally doubt it, but other places insist, and although I disagree with it, I do understand why they ask politely demand to attend.

I would love to know though because it looks like a great place to go (heh, that rhymed). Hey, if you're only 10 mins away, if we do go, I might hunt ya down and buy you a coffee Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »

Thats ok. That is more of what I was thinking was "respectfully insist". I personally doubt it, but other places insist, and although I disagree with it, I do understand why they ask politely demand to attend.

I would love to know though because it looks like a great place to go (heh, that rhymed). Hey, if you're only 10 mins away, if we do go, I might hunt ya down and buy you a coffee Smiley

PP

I'm probably going to be moving soon, but even then I should only be like half an hour away... let me know if you want to meet up, and I can drive down to ligonier or the village wherever you want to meet. Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »

PP

I'm probably going to be moving soon, but even then I should only be like half an hour away... let me know if you want to meet up, and I can drive down to ligonier or the village wherever you want to meet. Smiley
Sure thing Smiley

Gregory the Great

David Leon

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »

There is nowhere to fish at AV that I know of.  Perhaps in a nearby state park - you could check to see if there is fishing allowed.  As far as camp, only kids can go to the camp.  You can stay at the conference center ($45 per night) at any time throughout the year if there is space.  I think you should give them a call and they can answer all your questions.  And you can attend or skip services as you wish.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »

There is nowhere to fish at AV that I know of.  Perhaps in a nearby state park - you could check to see if there is fishing allowed.  As far as camp, only kids can go to the camp.  You can stay at the conference center ($45 per night) at any time throughout the year if there is space.  I think you should give them a call and they can answer all your questions.  And you can attend or skip services as you wish.

I would attend definitely. But if there is no fishing very close by, I probably wont go. I fish from March to November so its a major thing for my fam (we all go)

PP

Gregory the Great

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »

There is nowhere to fish at AV that I know of.  Perhaps in a nearby state park - you could check to see if there is fishing allowed. 

Unfortunately I don't think any of the local state parks (Laurel Mountain and Linn Run are the only two I think) have fishing. There is fishing at keystone state park, but that's about 25 miles away.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

There is nowhere to fish at AV that I know of.  Perhaps in a nearby state park - you could check to see if there is fishing allowed. 

Unfortunately I don't think any of the local state parks (Laurel Mountain and Linn Run are the only two I think) have fishing. There is fishing at keystone state park, but that's about 25 miles away.
Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Gregory the Great

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »

I would attend definitely. But if there is no fishing very close by, I probably wont go. I fish from March to November so its a major thing for my fam (we all go)

PP

Not sure where you're coming from, but St. Nektarios Monastery is in Roscoe, NY, which bills itself as "Trout Town USA" and the "fishing capital of the East".

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »

PP

Not sure where you're coming from, but St. Nektarios Monastery is in Roscoe, NY, which bills itself as "Trout Town USA" and the "fishing capital of the East".
Central Virginia here. I love the fishing Smiley

I dont think I could take my wife to a monastery Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »

Latrobe Reservoir is fishable and is less than 5 miles from AV.

http://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing-latrobe-reservoir-dam-ligonier-pa/

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

Latrobe Reservoir is fishable and is less than 5 miles from AV.

http://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing-latrobe-reservoir-dam-ligonier-pa/
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, White Cats.......there is some hope Smiley

Gregory the Great

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »

Ha! Shows how much I know about fishing around here  Cheesy

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »

Ha! Shows how much I know about fishing around here  Cheesy
LOL worry not Smiley I appreciate all the help Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

Haven't been up that way in years but I knew there was a large fishing lake or reservoir near Ligonier.  Hookandbullet.com also has a number of nearby spots (to the reservoir) on the right sidebar.

Happy fishing!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:31:19 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 01:38:51 AM »

Loyalhanna Creek runs through Ligonier and is some of the best trout streams in PA.  They stock it with browns and rainbows.  Donegal Lake isn't far either.

SS Peter & Paul Chapel is in the Conference Center, so if she had to excuse herself to go lay down it wouldn't be a problem.  The Antochian women's retreat is often there when our deacon retreat is taking place and not everyone of them went to every service that I could see. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »

PP

It's Pennsylvania, there is fishing nearby.  If I have a free moment here later this afternoon then I will for sure find you a place to fish.

If you went to the Ukrainian Orthodox Camp in Elemton, PA they have the Allegheny River right on on the property.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »

PP

It's Pennsylvania, there is fishing nearby.  If I have a free moment here later this afternoon then I will for sure find you a place to fish.

If you went to the Ukrainian Orthodox Camp in Elemton, PA they have the Allegheny River right on on the property.
Ah, good fishin in the  Allegheny

Gregory the Great

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: