OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:48:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old or revised Calendar for WR  (Read 459 times) Average Rating: 0
Caelestinus

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »

Should WR-Parishes follow the old (Julian) or the revised Gregorian Calendar like the Greek and Antiochian Churches?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:27:10 AM by Caelestinus » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »

Should WR-Parishes follow the old (Julian) or the revised Gregorian Calendar like the Greek and Antiochian Churches?

What do you think?

It would depend which local church they are part of. If the Russian Orthodox Church/ROCOR--Julian; if Antiochian--Revised Julian.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Caelestinus

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »

What do you think?

It would depend which local church they are part of. If the Russian Orthodox Church/ROCOR--Julian; if Antiochian--Revised Julian.

That is only an external reason. The usage of the revised calendar creates problems as far as the length of the time after Epiphany/Theophany and pentecost is concerned (because of the interaction of easter-date and the fixed Christmas date). The result is, that certain mess-formulare are omitted more often or even do nearly never come into use than before the calendar reform or if you fully stick to the gregorian calendar (which is not a point of discussion).

My opinion: Who celebrates Eastern according to the Roman Rite but in time with the rest of the Orthodox world (except the Finns), should stick to the old Calendar for all fixed feasts and commemorations as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:17:03 PM by Caelestinus » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »

I knew we use new.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

It doesn't matter what our opinion is; we follow what our Bishops tell us to follow.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »

What do you think?

That is only an external reason. The usage of the revised calendar creates problems as far as the length of the time after Epiphany/Theophany and pentecost is concerned (because of the interaction of easter-date and the fixed Christmas date). The result is, that certain mess-formulare are omitted more often or even do nearly never come into use than before the calendar reform or if you fully stick to the gregorian calendar (which is not a point of discussion).

My opinion: Who celebrates Eastern according to the Roman Rite but in time with the rest of the Orthodox world (except the Finns), should stick to the old Calendar for all fixed feasts and commemorations as well.
This is a problem with the Eastern Rite as well on the Revised Julian.  Of course, it would be solved by fully implementing the revision.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: