Author Topic: Old or revised Calendar for WR  (Read 635 times)

Offline Caelestinus

Old or revised Calendar for WR
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
Should WR-Parishes follow the old (Julian) or the revised Gregorian Calendar like the Greek and Antiochian Churches?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:27:10 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
Re: Old or revised Calendar for WR
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
Should WR-Parishes follow the old (Julian) or the revised Gregorian Calendar like the Greek and Antiochian Churches?

What do you think?

It would depend which local church they are part of. If the Russian Orthodox Church/ROCOR--Julian; if Antiochian--Revised Julian.

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »

What do you think?

It would depend which local church they are part of. If the Russian Orthodox Church/ROCOR--Julian; if Antiochian--Revised Julian.

That is only an external reason. The usage of the revised calendar creates problems as far as the length of the time after Epiphany/Theophany and pentecost is concerned (because of the interaction of easter-date and the fixed Christmas date). The result is, that certain mess-formulare are omitted more often or even do nearly never come into use than before the calendar reform or if you fully stick to the gregorian calendar (which is not a point of discussion).

My opinion: Who celebrates Eastern according to the Roman Rite but in time with the rest of the Orthodox world (except the Finns), should stick to the old Calendar for all fixed feasts and commemorations as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:17:03 PM by Caelestinus »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
I knew we use new.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
It doesn't matter what our opinion is; we follow what our Bishops tell us to follow.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »

What do you think?

That is only an external reason. The usage of the revised calendar creates problems as far as the length of the time after Epiphany/Theophany and pentecost is concerned (because of the interaction of easter-date and the fixed Christmas date). The result is, that certain mess-formulare are omitted more often or even do nearly never come into use than before the calendar reform or if you fully stick to the gregorian calendar (which is not a point of discussion).

My opinion: Who celebrates Eastern according to the Roman Rite but in time with the rest of the Orthodox world (except the Finns), should stick to the old Calendar for all fixed feasts and commemorations as well.
This is a problem with the Eastern Rite as well on the Revised Julian.  Of course, it would be solved by fully implementing the revision.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth