OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:57:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best film on the life of Christ  (Read 1058 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: January 05, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »

Hello all, I realize that no film out there can do justice to the life of our blessed savior but, for those of you that have seen a film based on his life what would you consider the best? I have often heard that Jesus of Nazareth from 1977 is the best what say ye?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »

I've heard that too.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

The Gospel of John is a faithful film rendition of that gospel.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:54:23 AM »

Well I like "The Passion of the Christ" I look at that and I cant think of anything I would have done differently other than cast someone else as Christ. He was a little over the top on some of the scenes and lacked poise but overall it was excellent. It highlights the part of Christ's life that Orthodox conveniently forget, but that the western Church perhaps focuses on a wee bit too much (he did rise you know...).

The Gospel of John watching it I would have done so many scenes differently. 

"Jesus of Nazareth" and the sequel "Acts of the Apostles" sounds like your best bet unless you want some sheer comedy in "Jesus Christ, Superstar." Actually, I think the Pilate in that movie is the only one that does it right out of all the ones I've seen, but everything else is s@#!.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:08:56 AM »

This remake of Jesus Christ Superstar is fairly good:
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Glenn-Carter/dp/B000056NX5/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326106796&sr=1-1

the "Smashn' of the Christ" was rediculous tripe...Gibson used a biblical theme to put as much gore a violence on the screen as he possbly could; the same way De Mille made films on biblical themes as an excuse to show scantilly clad people cavorting onscreen and getting by the censors.

Proverbs 22:7
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »

I started watching this over the Christmas "break".  Haven't finished it, yet.

However, while it didn't show something "untrue", I thought it to be a bit too lighthearted.

"Jesus" is always walking at a rather brisk pace, always smiling and seemed less then serious when Christ would have been very serious at pivotal moments.

Again, I haven't finished it yet, however, to me it seemed they were hitting the "points", but, not spreading the message.  Very seldom did you hear the words and the lessons which Christ spoke.  He was here, he was there....he was feeding, healing, etc.  But, the "message" was missing. 

He was being persecuted, however, if you didn't already know what was going on, you would not have "learned" anything about Christianity, just about some episodes in the life of a man named Jesus.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »

Go with 'Jesus of Nazareth.' My mother adores Robert Powell.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »

There was a lot I liked in the Passion of the Christ. Perhaps too much license was taken in what to depict and "add" to the Gospel story, but I loved the cinematic feel and the music.

But, in all, I'd have to say there isn't a good film on the life of Christ. No one has made one yet. Smiley
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

This remake of Jesus Christ Superstar is fairly good:
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Glenn-Carter/dp/B000056NX5/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326106796&sr=1-1

the "Smashn' of the Christ" was rediculous tripe...Gibson used a biblical theme to put as much gore a violence on the screen as he possbly could; the same way De Mille made films on biblical themes as an excuse to show scantilly clad people cavorting onscreen and getting by the censors.
As for De Mille, you could be right, but I gotta say that Roman executions of provincials (of which Jesus was one) was pretty darn brutal.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth is probably the best one.

As far as other movies that deal with His crucifixion, death, Resurrection and/ or the actions of his apostles after those events, I'd suggest:  Passion of the Christ, The Robe, Demetrios and the Gladiators, Barrabbas to name a few.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »

'Ben Hur'! Chariots!  Smiley

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »

I like The Gospel of John the best, especially because it stays completely true to the Gospel, but I wasn't crazy about the lead actor as Jesus. Nonetheless, I think it is well worth watching. I actually walked out of The Passion the first time I saw it because I felt that the violence was just far too gratuitous and I couldn't take it. That said, I've since watched it again, and as someone above mentioned, it is superb from a cinematic point of view and the actor did perhaps the best Jesus I've yet seen. I just don't really want to sit and watch anyone - Jesus or not - being beat and tortured for an hour or more.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

laugh It is claimed that playing the part ruined his career! (Other actors have made the same claim, I think)

Anyway, I thought it a very good series at the time, but I tried to watch it recently and found it rather dated.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »

'Ben Hur'! Chariots!  Smiley

And historically inaccurate "galley slaves" for the Roman Navy!! The Roman navy used free rowers and if they used slaves in times of crisis, they were given their freedom.  Still, it was a great story for all that.

Sorry! Annoying nitpicking tangent ended! Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »

laugh It is claimed that playing the part ruined his career! (Other actors have made the same claim, I think)

Anyway, I thought it a very good series at the time, but I tried to watch it recently and found it rather dated.

Well, he works for the BBC now. Not so 'ruined.'. Smiley

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »

^And he's got a new show on CBS, Person of Interest. I haven't watched it so I don't know how good it is.

I guess the only actors who portray Jesus whose Holywood careers are safe from any backlash are those who portray Jesus as gay or non celibate or some sort of left wing radical.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »

^And he's got a new show on CBS, Person of Interest. I haven't watched it so I don't know how good it is.

I guess the only actors who portray Jesus whose Holywood careers are safe from any backlash are those who portray Jesus as gay or non celibate or some sort of left wing radical.

I think you are confusing who it is we speak of, scamandruis. We were speaking of Robert Powell, not the other dude from The Passion of Christ.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »

Well, he works for the BBC now. Not so 'ruined.'. Smiley

Yeah, but many dry years in between while people forgot that he ever played Christ.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:11:34 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »

"And you will be persecuted by all for My name's sake..." Whether because of belief or acting, I guess.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth is probably the best one.

As far as other movies that deal with His crucifixion, death, Resurrection and/ or the actions of his apostles after those events, I'd suggest:  Passion of the Christ, The Robe, Demetrios and the Gladiators, Barrabbas to name a few.

Barabbas is amazing.
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 01:21:16 AM »

Has anyone seen the silent 1927 King of Kings directed by Demille. I really like that one.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »

I've only seen a few of them and none recently.  I have been working my way through the Gospels over the last month or so and when I can keep them straight I might watch a movie. 

The two I will not watch are Superstar and the Last Temptation.  I have a very low tolerance for mockery.  That said I did watch on Youtube the part in Temptation with David Bowie as Pontius Pilate.  I thought that was wonderful, but Willem Defoe will always be Agent Paul Smecker or Sergeant Elias to me.  I just can't see him as Jesus.  But David Bowie as Pilate is just too awesome.  "They call it the place of the skull.  Perhaps you people should go up there sometime and count them.  Maybe you'd learn something.  Probably not."

But then I went and read the Wikipedia synopsis of the film as a whole and decided that The Last Temptation is not going on my Netflix que.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »

Has anyone seen the silent 1927 King of Kings directed by Demille. I really like that one.

No, maybe I'll see if Netflix has it.  Smiley

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »

I'd like to know if anyone here has seen Pasolini's The Gospel According to Saint Matthew and what you thought of it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

The show is quite good and the cast, headed by Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson, is very good.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »

I'd like to know if anyone here has seen Pasolini's The Gospel According to Saint Matthew and what you thought of it.
Amazing.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: