OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do adults become Catholics?  (Read 537 times) Average Rating: 0
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »

While scanning the Christian news headlines today, I came across this article and thought it might inspire some interesting discussion here.

Why do adults become Catholics?

by George Weigel

The most touching “convert story” in which I played an indirect role was told to me by the protagonists, an Indiana of couple who seemed a 21st century reincarnation of Grant Wood’s American Gothic, if much younger and far less grim. It was shortly after Easter 2003, and I was visiting a parish outside Indianapolis to give a lecture and to sign books. The couple came up to me during the signing and said that my book on the Long Lent of 2002 – the year of scandal in American Catholicism – had been the final push they needed to seek full communion with the Catholic Church, which they had just entered. I said that I was glad that my unsparing narration of what had gone terribly wrong in the Church hadn’t caused them to think again. They both said, with utter simplicity, “Well, we thought that any Church that could that honest about what was wrong with it was the right place to be.” I got up from behind the signing table and embraced each of them.

Continued here...

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »

and thought it might inspire some interesting discussion here.

I'm a little surprised that it hasn't.

Personally, I have gone my whole life without ever converting from anything to anything. (Well, okay not my whole life, only my life since I was about 2 months old.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »

Personally, I have gone my whole life without ever converting from anything to anything. (Well, okay not my whole life, only my life since I was about 2 months old.)

Peter is back?!

I'm going to need this.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »

Peter is back?!

Yup. He returned a day or so ago.

I'm going to divulge a little secret here... in the admin side of the forum we keep copies of all of the 'swan songs' posted here from our members who put something up and then leave. We then update those same posts when the person returns despite their sworn statement(s) that they would never do such a thing.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »

Peter is back?!

Aye, albeit only since Thursday.

P.S. I guess I should have reloaded this page before replying
Yup. He returned a day or so ago.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:57:44 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »

Maybe if you or HandmaidenofGod kickstarted the conversation by identifying what in the article you think would be interesting to discuss? I'm rarely short of opinions, but I simply don't see anything here that inspires comment.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

Many lay people are honest about what's been happening but it sure doesn't look to me like the bishops have been.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: