OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Orthodoxy  (Read 2151 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »

The questions I would have is: 
1) Do you believe that hypocrisy exists in individuals who partake in the Eucharist and then go home and be entertained by movies, television, and video games which almost always depict, promote, or sensationalize the sins and lifestyles which have been fully condemned by God?
Nope. They're sinners. It doesn't matter what they look at, or play, or do. Sin is sin. We make the distinctions.
2) Do our young Orthodox sisters & brothers not deserve warnings against the evils that the world is literally "promoting" and "glorifying" to them?
Sure they do.
3) Do you believe that exposure as entertainment to things viewed through "the lamp of the body", could influence people (even minutely), their behavior, their attitudes, and their faith?
No differently that exposure to any other sin. I would say exposure to the hubris of a higher spirituality, by abstaining of "worldly" things is the same as playing Grand Theft Auto. Exposure to sin is exposure to sin. Having your kids exposed to the sin of lying to your spouse, haughty thoughts, or gossip is no differeent. its just "worldly" things like movies and games, etc. provide enough ammo, and for those who abstain from such things, give them a soapbox without having to delve too deep into their own lives so they can cast their fireballs from on high without self examination.

PP

Amen. Post of the year.

Is the eye not the lamp of the body?  Is your argument here seems to be "go ahead and watch & play anything", because sin exists and sin will always be there and its the same.   Because somebody gets angry in their home justifies the excuse to allow sinful entertainment into the home?

That those who do not partake in the entertainment of Grand Theft Auto (the fictionalized enjoyment of drugs, murder, assault, deceit, prostitution, homosexuality, theft, bribery, lust, fornication, and pride) lack self examination because they choose to abstain from sin rather than fornicating with it?  Because Crack harms the body one can't make that claim because the church tells them it is wrong?

No yesh, that is not what I was saying at all. I know alot of types who stay away from "worldly" things for the benefit of their children and such. I say more power to them. Good for you. However, by ridiculing others for not abstaining from such you fall into the trap of hubris (what is called in scripture, a proud look). This I believe is far worse in some aspects than playing GTA or some other game, or watching a movie. I give my reason now:

Games as such like GTA or such DO depict things that are bad. No doubt. However, it is right there for the world to see. You KNOW it's bad. You can not find a single person who would say that them playing a video game has made them believe that killing is ok, or beating up someone for money is not sinful. Im not advocating video games or promoting them either.

Now, that being said, taking pride from abstaining from such things leads to looking down on others that do not, which gives a false sense of spiritual superiority, therefore stopping any self-examination. Remember the Pharisee, "Lord, I thank thee for not making me like this publican....." Why was he like this? A sense that he, spiritually, was better than the publican. This is why people immidately get irritated when people "brag" (I use the term in generalities, not specific) about abstaining from worldly things, yet these abstainers look down on others for some spiritual error they percieve in others. Yet they still sin in other areas. Are they not teaching their kids sinful behavior no different than me, for letting my kid play a game you would find questionable?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

The questions I would have is: 
1) Do you believe that hypocrisy exists in individuals who partake in the Eucharist and then go home and be entertained by movies, television, and video games which almost always depict, promote, or sensationalize the sins and lifestyles which have been fully condemned by God?
Nope. They're sinners. It doesn't matter what they look at, or play, or do. Sin is sin. We make the distinctions.
2) Do our young Orthodox sisters & brothers not deserve warnings against the evils that the world is literally "promoting" and "glorifying" to them?
Sure they do.
3) Do you believe that exposure as entertainment to things viewed through "the lamp of the body", could influence people (even minutely), their behavior, their attitudes, and their faith?
No differently that exposure to any other sin. I would say exposure to the hubris of a higher spirituality, by abstaining of "worldly" things is the same as playing Grand Theft Auto. Exposure to sin is exposure to sin. Having your kids exposed to the sin of lying to your spouse, haughty thoughts, or gossip is no differeent. its just "worldly" things like movies and games, etc. provide enough ammo, and for those who abstain from such things, give them a soapbox without having to delve too deep into their own lives so they can cast their fireballs from on high without self examination.

PP

Amen. Post of the year.

Is the eye not the lamp of the body?  Is your argument here seems to be "go ahead and watch & play anything", because sin exists and sin will always be there and its the same.   Because somebody gets angry in their home justifies the excuse to allow sinful entertainment into the home?

That those who do not partake in the entertainment of Grand Theft Auto (the fictionalized enjoyment of drugs, murder, assault, deceit, prostitution, homosexuality, theft, bribery, lust, fornication, and pride) lack self examination because they choose to abstain from sin rather than fornicating with it?  Because Crack harms the body one can't make that claim because the church tells them it is wrong?

No yesh, that is not what I was saying at all. I know alot of types who stay away from "worldly" things for the benefit of their children and such. I say more power to them. Good for you. However, by ridiculing others for not abstaining from such you fall into the trap of hubris (what is called in scripture, a proud look). This I believe is far worse in some aspects than playing GTA or some other game, or watching a movie. I give my reason now:

Games as such like GTA or such DO depict things that are bad. No doubt. However, it is right there for the world to see. You KNOW it's bad. You can not find a single person who would say that them playing a video game has made them believe that killing is ok, or beating up someone for money is not sinful. Im not advocating video games or promoting them either.

Now, that being said, taking pride from abstaining from such things leads to looking down on others that do not, which gives a false sense of spiritual superiority, therefore stopping any self-examination. Remember the Pharisee, "Lord, I thank thee for not making me like this publican....." Why was he like this? A sense that he, spiritually, was better than the publican. This is why people immidately get irritated when people "brag" (I use the term in generalities, not specific) about abstaining from worldly things, yet these abstainers look down on others for some spiritual error they percieve in others. Yet they still sin in other areas. Are they not teaching their kids sinful behavior no different than me, for letting my kid play a game you would find questionable?

PP

Hang on my friend.  This is not what I am suggesting.... I do not ridicule others and am not suggesting this, nor do I look down on others who do not abstain from these things.  It's not right to look down or judge other people.  This is not what I'm speaking of.

I'm speaking on the topic of Volnutt's Original post.  There is so much infighting in the Orthodox church.  It strays many people away.  If the Bishops can't get along or come to any agreement, then the church has issues.    They'll fight tooth and nail over beards, ecumenism, and calendar issues all the while never taking a unified stand over the poisons that their flocks are consuming.

Can the Bishops come out in condemnation of the video (link I posted previously), where the woman was completely immodest, promoting homosexuality, occultic & illuminatic messages, and desecration of a church?  Can they warn their flock of things even of lesser degrees and consider the enjoyment of these things sinful?

That's where there is a difference with the Anabaptists.  They don't "look down on others", rather "they WARN others", and try to help one another to stay on the narrow path. 

It was just ironic because it seems the Bishops are fighting over the splinters in one another's eyes, rather than seeing the PLANKS gouging out the eyes and souls of their flocks.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: