OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:57:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rose Parade VS The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade  (Read 3425 times) Average Rating: 0
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« on: January 02, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'm a born and raised Angelino so I am Rose Parade and Rose Bowl certified, but I caught my first Macy's Day parade this year, and I was disappointed since it was something different entirely.

Which do y'all prefer?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:16:49 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »

I don't have a preference (or interest), but because Mr. Pitt preferred the latter I'm going to have to go with that one... sorry!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
I don't have a preference (or interest), but because Mr. Pitt preferred the latter I'm going to have to go with that one... sorry!

A fellow MST3K nerd like you doesn't have a preference? That is surprising Grin

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »

When I was little, I loved all the balloons more and of course, Santa Claus coming in. . .but now. . . the flower floats just absolutely amaze me.  I prefer watching the Rose Bowl Parade, and try not to miss it.  But I'm looking forward to introducing the Macy's Parade to my new grandchildren.  Smiley
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

But I'm looking forward to introducing the Macy's Parade to my new grandchildren.  Smiley

Praise God, children are a blessing, grandchildren (and grandparents) are a miracle unto themselves Wink

When I had my dreads I used to say that dreadlocks and children are like calendars, they just grow and grow longer and taller keeping track of the passage of time when we weren't otherwise paying attention to such matters, but since I had to sheer my locks (they are like roses, they come back stronger) now only all the kids in my life are keeping track, but I don't see them in the mirror every day so their growth continues to surprise and amaze me much more so than the bewildering intricacies of floral design which makes the Rose Parade so interesting a spectacle (plus I think the LA likes to flaunt our beautifully warm weather on the TV to the usually snowed in East and Midwest)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:46:55 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »

Macy's. Giant turkey, cartoon characters, Santa, Al Roker keeping tabs on it, bad lipsynching on the floats, balloons careening out of control and taking out lampposts- it's a scene.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »

I don't actually "watch" either one. 

I used to watch the Macy's parade when I was little, mostly because I loved to see the horses of all things!  Plus, I loved Miracle on 34th Street, and that occurred around the parade.

I'm not in to football (sorry), and have never actually watched the whole Rose Parade through even once.

To me it seems like such a waste of flowers. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »

To me it seems like such a waste of flowers. 

Flowers are a fleeting and temporal beauty, why not find a recyclable use? Those flowers would've grown and died in a short span of time regardless Wink

I agree about "watching" I never watched either for more than a passing few minutes, but I am always amazed at the floats in the Rose Parade, and there have been some interesting creations there.  But it is also a local thing, I grew around it being a part of LA, people plan all year and many schools either send money or kids help build the floats in the year leading up, so its part of Angelino vocabulary even for folks who may never actually recall seeing the parade on TV or otherwise.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »

My marching band was invited to march in the Rose Bowl parade and we did so.  So, that's my biased preference.  Great warm place to spend the holidays.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: