OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did Jesus Baptize Noone?  (Read 1147 times) Average Rating: 0
grov
George

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« on: September 11, 2004, 01:14:09 AM »

Any ideas why Jesus didn't baptize anyone?  The Gospels say He was baptizing more than John, then make a point to clarify that He didn't personally baptize them, his disciples did.

My wife has what I think is a good reason, but I wonder what others think.

George the Catechumen
mourad

Mia, not mono!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 04:36:14 AM »

what is your wife's reason, George?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 08:02:18 AM »

Perhaps they would claim to be (or think of themselves as) "super disciples," thinking that they were more special since they were baptized by God himself (when in reality, it doesn't matter who baptizes us, since there is only one baptism). Paul spoke of this though, saying that he was thankful he only had baptized a couple people, so that no one could say "I was baptized by Paul" as though that meant something special. Just a guess.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:14:06 AM »

Paradosis, without looking up that reference I think that the latter point you were making reflects back to the problem that some of the early communities were having, saying that they were of Paul or of Peter instead of saying they were of Christ.  It would make sense to me that St. Paul would take comfort in that he had only personally baptised a few converts so that very few people could engage in this form of idolatry.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
grov
George

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 11:31:19 AM »

what is your wife's reason, George?

She views Jesus' role as that of the bridegroom, taking the masculine role, and leaving the feminine role of birthing new converts via baptism to the Church.

In other words, it was more appropriate, even while Jesus was operating amongst us physically, to have the proto-Church perform baptisms.

Prior to hearing that, my opinion had been what I'd always been taught, which is like other posts here - to avoid having a class of believers who might claim a superior position by virtue of being baptized directly by Jesus.

George
Shiloah
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb.11:1

www.balamand.edu.lb/ th...JoTheklaCan.htm

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 08:54:14 PM »

"1.  When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
 2.  (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)"  John 4:1-2

Matth.3:11 " I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire"

The time for this fire baptism hadn't come yet.

I looked up John the Baptist's words in John 3:29 and think, your wife has a point with her interpretation. "He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled."

As disciples and followers of Christ we are to bear fruit (Matth.13:23 " But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."  as well as John 15:8 "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.")

I would also like to remind in this context of Acts 19:1-6.
" 1.  And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
 2.  He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
 3.  And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
 4.  Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
 5.  When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
 6.  And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."

I think Jesus had His Disciple baptize to set a precedence. It has to do with Matth.18:20 ("For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.") and with John 14:12-14 (" Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
 13.  And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
 14.  If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.")

So far my 2 cents worth,
Shiloah

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" 2.Cor.4:6

"One thing is education: that we learn how to love God. "
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: