OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 09:07:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canon for the Dead  (Read 2103 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: December 20, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »

Today is the second anniversary of my wife's dearly departed grandfather's death.  She would like to join me tonight (a huge step, as she's still quite disaffected with the Church in general) when I customarily pray the Canon for the Dead for one of our dead relatives/ancestors.  I use the version in the Old Orthodox Prayer Book but forgot to bring it this morning so I could make a copy for her.  Does anyone know of an online version of this canon that I could print out?  It doesn't have to be the same translation as the OOPB uses.

Thanks!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »

That is the version that I use, also.  You can still pray together.  Have her recite the refrains with you (they are picked up rather quickly).  The fact that she is there and in agreement with what is prayed is what counts.  I have had to do this several times when I was the only one that had the book.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »

Here's the closest thing I could find online:

Pannihida

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/pannihida_r_e.htm

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »

I sometimes use the Akathist for the Repose of the Departed for my wife*, but I don't know about the Canon for the Dead.

*Which I assumed was correct... would the canon be more proper?

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »

That is the version that I use, also.  You can still pray together.  Have her recite the refrains with you (they are picked up rather quickly).  The fact that she is there and in agreement with what is prayed is what counts.  I have had to do this several times when I was the only one that had the book.

That's probably what we'll end up doing.  It's just nice for everyone to have their own copy, that's all.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »

This site has a list of links to Russian Orthodox services. I hope the links are still active.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/748480.html

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »

I sometimes use the Akathist for the Repose of the Departed for my wife*, but I don't know about the Canon for the Dead.

An Akathist is different than a Canon.  There are both forms for the dead, and either one is proper.  It is the fact that you cared enough to take the time for either one that counts.  There is no Typikon for the home.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »

Newbie question...

Can these be prayed for the non orthodox departed? 

Thanks!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »

I believe it is the sincerity in your heart that God sees, not whether you are praying the Akathist or the Canon. As punch said, there are no propers for home use.

Personally speaking, I find our memorial services to be very cathartic in the grieving process. I find it difficult to grieve when I go to a non-Orthodox funeral service and don't hear Veechnaya Pomyat/Memory Eternal.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »

Newbie question...

Can these be prayed for the non orthodox departed? 

Thanks!

Yes, there are even prayers included for those who are not Orthodox, though if you're sensitive to this sort of thing the language might rub you the wrong way. For example:

"We grieve for hardened and wicked blasphemers of Thy Holiness. May Thy saving and gracious will be over them. Forgive, O Lord, those who have died without repentance. Save those who have committed suicide in the darkness of their mind, that the flame of their sinfulness may be extinguished in the ocean of Thy grace. O Lord of unutterable Love, remember Thy servants who have fallen asleep."

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »

I believe it is the sincerity in your heart that God sees, not whether you are praying the Akathist or the Canon. As punch said, there are no propers for home use.

Personally speaking, I find our memorial services to be very cathartic in the grieving process. I find it difficult to grieve when I go to a non-Orthodox funeral service and don't hear Veechnaya Pomyat/Memory Eternal.

Me, too.  Some of my friends find it off-putting, somehow, that I have made prayers for the dead a part of my life.  I actually keep to it more than I do my regular prayer rule; there's just something about the idea of praying for people who don't have anyone to pray for them by name (as is the case with most, if not all, of my ancestors outside of my immediate family) that keeps me coming back. 

Going to a non-Orthodox or non-RC funeral is excruciating for me in so many ways, but the absence of a final exclamation of "Vicnaja pamjat!" or "Eternal rest..." is the worst.

My mother-in-law used to find it a little annoying when I would drift off at the funeral home during the wakes of my wife's family, but once she found out I would disappear into another room to pray the canon for the dead, she really appreciates it, another aspect of this type of prayer that keeps me coming back to it. 

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »

Me, too.  Some of my friends find it off-putting, somehow, that I have made prayers for the dead a part of my life.  I actually keep to it more than I do my regular prayer rule; there's just something about the idea of praying for people who don't have anyone to pray for them by name (as is the case with most, if not all, of my ancestors outside of my immediate family) that keeps me coming back. 

Going to a non-Orthodox or non-RC funeral is excruciating for me in so many ways, but the absence of a final exclamation of "Vicnaja pamjat!" or "Eternal rest..." is the worst.

My mother-in-law used to find it a little annoying when I would drift off at the funeral home during the wakes of my wife's family, but once she found out I would disappear into another room to pray the canon for the dead, she really appreciates it, another aspect of this type of prayer that keeps me coming back to it. 

"Be merciful; pray for the departed," St. John Maximovitch of San Francisco said.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Gypsy

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 12:18:51 AM »

Thank you Asteriktos for answering my question!
The language actually doesn't bother me....

I also love praying for the departed, love cemeteries for that reason...will now know what to do at the next funeral I have to attend...thanks Shultz

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »

I'm with you all the way, Schultz.  Every day and sometimes twice a day I'll stand in front of the icons and do a short requiem service.  Praying for the dead is an essential part of my life.

From the Rule of Saint Columba.  6th century.

Be fervent in singing the office for the dead.

Pray for the departed as if each were a particular friend of thine
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »

My priest recommended tonight at Vespers that I pray the Akathist which I did, but last night I prayed the Canon for a deceased person from the Old Orthodox Prayer Book and found it to be more personal as there are many more opportunities to mention my grandmother's name, but I had a suspicion that the canon is only for the Orthodox.

So the canon is fine to pray for the non-Orthodox? I only ask because there are priest's part indicated, which to me signifies that it is for the Orthodox.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:58:39 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »

My priest recommended tonight at Vespers that I pray the Akathist which I did, but last night I prayed the Canon for a deceased person from the Old Orthodox Prayer Book and found it to be more personal as there are many more opportunities to mention my grandmother's name, but I had a suspicion that the canon is only for the Orthodox.

So the canon is fine to pray for the non-Orthodox? I only ask because there are priest's part indicated, which to me signifies that it is for the Orthodox.

BUMP

I've also spent a lot of time trying to find this canon for the dead online (I do not own an Old Orthodox Prayer Book), so I'd like to remind folks reading here that it'd be nice to find! I'll keep looking and definitely share if I find it! Grin

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

I have a copy of the Old Rite Canon For The Dead.  Anyone wanting it can pm me your email address.  It is not the exact  same one as in the Old Rite Prayer Book.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:46:52 PM by IXOYE » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »

Praying at home for the non-Orthodox departed, there are a number of prayers that can be used. Personally, I avoid using prayers for the Orthodox, mostly because some things in them refer to Orthodox communicants in particular. The exception is the Akathist for the Departed, which can be prayed for everyone. I use the canon to St. Warus for the non-Orthodox departed. It can also be used by a priest in church and in it he can name the non-Orthodox. Technically, it's the only service in which non-Orthodox departed may be remembered by name.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »

Praying at home for the non-Orthodox departed, there are a number of prayers that can be used. Personally, I avoid using prayers for the Orthodox, mostly because some things in them refer to Orthodox communicants in particular. The exception is the Akathist for the Departed, which can be prayed for everyone. I use the canon to St. Warus for the non-Orthodox departed. It can also be used by a priest in church and in it he can name the non-Orthodox. Technically, it's the only service in which non-Orthodox departed may be remembered by name.

Do you have more information on St. Warus whom I've never heard of's canon?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »

Try a search for "St. Varus". You should get lots of hits.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »

The canon text: www.stvladimiraami.org/sheetmusic/canonstvarus.pdf

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »

Thank you

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: