Author Topic: Book of Wisdom Chapter 2  (Read 701 times)

Offline psalm110

• Elder
  • Orthodox Christian
Book of Wisdom Chapter 2
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:14:54 AM »
Hi All,

I have been reading Wisdom of Solomon for some time now and I have question regarding Chapter 2 Wis 2:12-20 http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=KjvSolo.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=2&division=div1

12: Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education.
13: He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.
14: He was made to reprove our thoughts.
15: He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.
16: We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.
17: Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.
18: For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.
19: Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.
20: Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.

Does this chapter pre-date Christianity ? How Old is that chapter specifically ?
Was the Wisdom of Solomon part of the Qumran discovery also ?.

Thank You.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Book of Wisdom Chapter 2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:49 AM »
From what I recall it was probably written in the late 2nd or 1st century BC, though some place it later and there isn't a wide agreement on when it was written. I don't believe it was at Qumran.