OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:24:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another post from the new guy (About Music)  (Read 2253 times) Average Rating: 0
ChuckNoland

OC.net

« on: September 10, 2004, 04:25:43 PM »

I have so many questions,please, bear with me until I am able to meet with my priest.

OK, its a given that violent or vulgar music, things which speak against God or godly principles are to be avoided, I know from first hand experience that they affect the way youre thinking at the time of listening, thats the whole point of music. But what about not so obvious music, e.g. the Beach Boys, are there certain styles of music or beats that are improper? Or certain things we shouldnt be listening to?

I have to do PT a lot and certain types of music help me stay motivated and help pump me up, or when I run long distances I like to play wordless techno songs and I have a few songs that get me "in the mood for the long haul", just various artists.

What I notice is that certain songs give me a boost, is it wrong or somethign that should be avoided??

Please, some wise insight would be great, thanks.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 07:07:40 PM »

Your priest (if you're Orthodox; I assume so) would be the best person to talk to about this.  Most priests I've talked to are pretty loose about this, though; you don't have the big campaign that you'll see every now and again in fundie churches of "God's music vs. the devil's."

Nice avatar, by the way.   Grin Wink

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »

I agree, talk to your priest.  

My priest has a real thing for early Elvis... anyway...

If music is moving you to do unchristian things or in interfering with your spiritual growth then don't listen to it. End of story..  

Besides, there is a lot of bad contemporary christian music out there. In addition to it being bad it's message is overwhelmingly protestant which naturally as an Orthodox christian I don't agree with.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 01:33:36 PM by PhosZoe » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »

My priest has a real thing for early Elvis... anyway...

Wasn't "early Elvis" gospel music?

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »

Demetri

Only some of it. His greatest hits tend to be stuff having to do with love, etc. I don't see anything religious in "Hound Dog".

NULL
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 10:37:56 AM »

or "Jail House Rock" or "I Just Want to Be Your Teddy Bear".
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

Demetri

I just saw a documentary on Elvis. He apparently liked to have jam sessions where he would get together with his friends and sing old time gospel songs.

Enough of my clever aside.. movin' on.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

or "Jail House Rock" or "I Just Want to Be Your Teddy Bear".  

"Teddy Bear" has a religious connection: This song was intorduced in the Presley movie "Loving You", which also included Elvis' first on screen kiss. The kiss and the song were directed at a rising young starlet, Delores Hart, who is now know as Mother Delores of Regina Laudis Abbey: www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com
Know your movie trivia!!

But getting back to the subject at hand, growing up in South Texas I heard plenty of revival preachers claim that the rythms and beats of modern music (especially "syncoptaed" rythms) were in and of themselves sinful or demonic. They would even condemn classical composers such as Schubert, Wagner, Rachmoninoff etc.. I personally don't believe that a rytrhm or type of music canbe bad in and of itself, depends on the lyrics, the effect it has on the individual etc

Proverbs 22:7
WHEELER
Banned

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 02:48:35 PM »

St. Paul says "Whatever is true and beautiful".

Music is very dangerous to the soul.

Socrates in Plato's Republic says, "Too much music effeminizes the soul".

The word "effeminate" is the greek word malakoi.  St. Paul says, in I Cor, "That the effeminate shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven".

Music also forms the soul.  By what it is composed of trains the soul either to the beautiful or to the ugly.  This is something that is very important and not  well known.  If classicism was studied, people and the churches would be aware of the dangers.  Plato elaborated on this called his Theory of Music.  It is very important to the training of people.  Music affects people.  The type of music creates a type of individual and trains the soul.

Too much music effeminizes the male!

Iron sharpens Iron.
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 04:09:05 PM »

Hey Chuck, you used PT instead of "workout" so I'm thinking you might be in the Service.  If you are, what branch?  I like to use electronic music for working out, too (not to mention cooling down afterward).  I think that a lot of techno/electronic, etc. can't be any worse for you than classical, since it's just music.  I've been in a few bands, and I still listen to some of the old stuff in my collection, and even though it's not anything near Orthodox, I don't own anything blatantly antidox (hahahaha I made up a word...).  Still, I try to stick to instrumental stuff the most.  I have a theory that the more lyrics you have in a song, the more affected your true appreciation of it becomes.  Oh, and when it comes to electronic music, I'd avoid those songs containing samples of lewd activity or gratuitous language.  You know what I'm talking about.  Anyway, good luck!  Music is kind of a case-by-case issue in Orthopraxis, I'm guessing.  Oh, but do what everyone else said and talk to your priest or spiritual father about it.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 05:14:04 AM »

St. Paul says "Whatever is true and beautiful".

The word "effeminate" is the greek word malakoi.  St. Paul says, in I Cor, "That the effeminate shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven".

Music also forms the soul.  By what it is composed of trains the soul either to the beautiful or to the ugly.  This is something that is very important and not  well known.  If classicism was studied, people and the churches would be aware of the dangers.  Plato elaborated on this called his Theory of Music.  It is very important to the training of people.  Music affects people.  The type of music creates a type of individual and trains the soul.

Does this apply liturgical singing? Like in monasteries where they sing the Liturgy and Hours daily?

Proverbs 22:7
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 12:10:02 PM »

Well, I guess there'll be a lot of "effeminate" males in heaven since we'll be spending eternity singing praises to God.  Shocked

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 01:45:02 PM »

It's not as dangerous as the internet.

Oh sure: soundbites from the Dead Ancient Greek Pagan Orthodox Fathers.

If classicism was studied

If classicism were studied, the subjunctive mode would be used correctly.

Plato elaborated on this called his Theory of Music.

Let's keep our DAGPOFs straight; music theory belongs to Pythagoras.

But anyway, my first thought when I read someone talking like this is, "tone-deaf".
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 02:02:45 PM »

There is no such thing as "Music".  There are hundreds of kinds of music from over the centuries and around the world for a wide range of reasons.  

So what *kind* of music does this?  Sousa marches?  Maori Hakas?   Welshmen singing "Men of Harlech"?  Zulus singing multi-part harmony?  The Scottish War Pipes?  

One ancient Greek's opinion on this does not cover the range of human experience.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
jmell

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 04:28:49 PM »

I listen to alot of heavy metal. I know people tend to stereotype the genre but there is alot of good bands and people in the style (alot of christians too!).

I tend to stay away from metal bands that make me uncomfortable with their lyrics or image.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 04:31:25 PM »

One ancient Greek's opinion on this does not cover the range of human experience.  

Post of the day.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
matthew

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 04:11:12 AM »

Rather than asking "what music can I get away with listening to?" it seems better to ask "what music will shape me into the likeness of Christ?"

The answer, of course, is "hymnody and psalmody, oh young and hopeful faithful."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: